The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-29-2021, 02:39 PM

Default New Martin Neck Reset Warranty or Return?

As the original owner, I assume Martin warranty applies.
I've had it for less than a month but noticed the action is getting higher each day.

I noticed the dove tail neck joint is separating.

You can see the glue and the gap at the bottom of the neck joint.
I'm not sure if this was there when first received. I didn't check for it carefully since it was new.

What are the chances of Martin approving a neck reset?
If so how long will it take and how much will it cost, incl. shipping?
Do I take it to an authorized shop and then they ship it to Martin?

This is still returnable to the store as it is defective.
Do you recommend I return instead?
It is a sweet sounding.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Below are the photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NE2c1C63fZpW83vq7

Last edited by acousticsean; 04-29-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:47 PM

I will let the Certified Martin repair people answer your question but when something like this comes up I always like to mention that if you really do love the tone of the guitar then just get it fixed. Because getting a new guitar will have a different tone.

The yellow line at the heal cap looks unusual to me. Please don't take this accusational but have you taken good care of it since you bought it? Did you leave it in a hot car?

You might want to take it to a tech to see his/her opinion as to whether or not it needs a reset. A simple measurement you can do yourself is to take a straight edge right down the center of the FB on top of the frets right up to the top of the bridge. Is there any airspace from the top of the bridge to the bottom of the straight edge? Does the straight edge hit the front face of the bridge?
Old 04-29-2021, 02:58 PM

It's been in the case in a room with humidity of 50% RH and 70'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I will let the Certified Martin repair people answer your question but when something like this comes up I always like to mention that if you really do love the tone of the guitar then just get it fixed. Because getting a new guitar will have a different tone.

The yellow line at the heal cap looks unusual to me. Please don't take this accusational but have you taken good care of it since you bought it? Did you leave it in a hot car?

You might want to take it to a tech to see his/her opinion as to whether or not it needs a reset. A simple measurement you can do yourself is to take a straight edge right down the center of the FB on top of the frets right up to the top of the bridge. Is there any airspace from the top of the bridge to the bottom of the straight edge? Does the straight edge hit the front face of the bridge?
Old 04-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

If the joint neck joint is actually separating then, yes, they'll fix it. And that yellow line does look odd... but there's really not enough there to go on.

A guitar that new, they might do anyway. But, the way it was explained to me was that if it was deemed a defect in materials or workmanship, they'd cover it. If it was deemed just the effects of string tension over time, they no longer cover it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair