The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2021, 05:30 PM

Default Looking for feedback on my first dual-microphone recording

So I started messing about with microphones that I have on hand which consist of a Samson MTR-101 Large-Diaphragm Condenser and the microphone built into my Samsung S21 Ultra phone. The MTR-101 is hooked into my Behringer UMC202HD Audio Interface and recorded in Audacity, while my Samsung phone is recording into the app "Smart Recorder." The MTR-101 is about 12 inches away from the 12th fret on my guitar, while the phone is about 12 inches away from the sound hole.

I put together a small-demo of me playing the intro to "Going to California" by Led Zepplin on my Larrivee L-03R. Let me know how it sounds, this is my first time ever doing a dual-microphone recording (also from different sources) and mixing them together for the full-stereo richness effect.

Last edited by Mezner; 04-25-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

It sounds pretty good to my ears.

It's hard to have a feel for how good the recording is without comparing it to different mics since I don't know your guitar or your room. Nor do I know anything about the microphones you used.

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
It sounds pretty good to my ears.

It's hard to have a feel for how good the recording is without comparing it to different mics since I don't know your guitar or your room. Nor do I know anything about the microphones you used.

- Glenn
"Sounds pretty good" is good enough for me. I'm really just on the hunt for general feedback for the sound produced. I don't have have a professional studio setup or anything of the like, just purely an amateur looking to make generally decent-sounding recordings.

Thank you Glenn.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:05 PM

I'd suggest getting closer to the mics.

I'm hearing what I believe to be a lot of room sound which is taking away from what the recording could be.

Try getting your mics 6-10" from the guitar.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'd suggest getting closer to the mics.

I'm hearing what I believe to be a lot of room sound which is taking away from what the recording could be.

Try getting your mics 6-10" from the guitar.
If I'm being 100% honest, I added a little touch of reverb to the recordings (perhaps that was a bad idea, ha). I was also a bit sloppy and left my air purifier on as well as the window open; Additionally, it could also be the the distance my microphones were placed at. I'll try eliminating any outside factors, moving the mics closer and not adding any reverb to my next recording.

I appreciate the feedback greatly.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

I would add that having the mics as close as possible without physically hitting them and without breathing on them and making plosive noises, often helps get better sound as long as you are not overloading the recorder. And as has been mentioned, when mics are closer to the noise source, the room effects are minimized. Smaller rooms tend to induce a lot of unwanted emphasis in certain frequencies.

- Glenn
Old 04-26-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

All of the above on the suggestions with also consideration to aim not at the soundhole but just behind the bridge on the lower bout with the 2nd mic. I hear a touch of boominess in the low end and I think aiming towards the bridge rather than the soundhole will smooth that out.

Also, it is typically suggested to pan hard left and hard right on your mic tracks when using two mics to record acoustic guitar. You can easily do that with most if not all DAW's and it will enhance the stereo effect of the recording. Most DAW's allow you to infinitely vary the panning from 0-100 percent.

Great start to your recording adventure, it's addicting!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
All of the above on the suggestions with also consideration to aim not at the soundhole but just behind the bridge on the lower bout with the 2nd mic. I hear a touch of boominess in the low end and I think aiming towards the bridge rather than the soundhole will smooth that out.

Also, it is typically suggested to pan hard left and hard right on your mic tracks when using two mics to record acoustic guitar. You can easily do that with most if not all DAW's and it will enhance the stereo effect of the recording. Most DAW's allow you to infinitely vary the panning from 0-100 percent.

Great start to your recording adventure, it's addicting!
Excellent advice from Bob! I very much agree with all of his suggestions!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD