The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-12-2021, 07:49 AM

Talking LR Baggs Anthem Pickup is Perfect for Home Recording

I’ve had a Martin 000-18 that came with the on-board Fishman Aura system, which was alright, but last year I made the upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem pickup, and was very impressed by the sound quality through a sound system.

I’ve never had much luck with trying to record my acoustic at home in my very mediocre “recording studio”. I’ve tried an SM57 and a pencil condenser mic, and never could find very good placement.

One day I was lazy and wanted to get someone recorded, so I just plugged my acoustic straight into my Focusrite interface, and was blown away at how great it sounded. WAY better than any results I got with mics.

Don’t sleep on recording with the pickups, especially if its the LR Baggs Anthem.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:59 AM

Thanks for posting this! It give me more confidence to continue with my own Anthem for recording.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 AM

I absolutely agree that less-than-ideal gear or acoustics shouldn't keep you from recording yourself. And it's great that you've found a pickup that's inspiring to you and keeps you wanting to play and record.

Couch Standards
Old 04-12-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardner2015 View Post
I’ve had a Martin 000-18 that came with the on-board Fishman Aura system, which was alright, but last year I made the upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem pickup, and was very impressed by the sound quality through a sound system.

I’ve never had much luck with trying to record my acoustic at home in my very mediocre “recording studio”. I’ve tried an SM57 and a pencil condenser mic, and never could find very good placement.

One day I was lazy and wanted to get someone recorded, so I just plugged my acoustic straight into my Focusrite interface, and was blown away at how great it sounded. WAY better than any results I got with mics.

Don’t sleep on recording with the pickups, especially if its the LR Baggs Anthem.
Congratulations on finding a personal solution to recording your acoustic.

I've been doing the same thing with my K&K equipped 00 and using a Shure SM35 headset mic for vocal. It's proved to be a good solution for acceptable quality to combine with HD phone video and post to Youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
lr baggs, pickup, recording, sm57, studio