The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 PM

Default Help me spend $100 on Online Singing Lessons

I'd like to learn to sing while playing. I hate monthly payments on anything. But, would like to find the best way to spend $100 on online singing lessons. I am an absolute beginner at singing. There's several Youtube instructors. But like most things, you tend to get what you pay for. Any suggestions on best bang for the buck online singing lessons?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 07-09-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I'd like to learn to sing while playing. I hate monthly payments on anything. But, would like to find the best way to spend $100 on online singing lessons. I am an absolute beginner at singing. There's several Youtube instructors. But like most things, you tend to get what you pay for. Any suggestions on best bang for the buck online singing lessons?
I've done no research on this, but I'd say you really need skype, some kind of interactive lessons. With singing, more than an instrument, you need to have a teacher hearing what you're doing to correct your technique.
In fact, if you have $100 to spend it would probably be a lot more beneficial to spend that on one-to-one lessons with a vocal coach in person. You might only get two lessons (or one!) out of that money, but it would give you some really good basic advice and exercises to work on, well beyond those one or two sessions. After that, you'd be much better equipped to take what you can from any free youtube lessons.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi jwellsy,

I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Recently in another thread someone recommend the Superior Singing Method. I'm just over half way thought the introductory course which was $47. I've noticed some improvement, and I feel a lot more confident-- which is half the battle!

There is a short video everyday where the teacher demonstrates and explains an exercise and the reason for it, and then a new exercise is introduced every day via a soundclip. There are 5 warm up exercises that are done every day, and then there is a mixture of other exercises depending on what skill is being taught. I guess I spend about a half an hour a day on it (I burned all the exercises to a CD and do it in the car).

The introductory course takes about 2 months if you do it every day. And of course there is a lot of other stuff available for purchase after that.

I think it is worth a shot for half a Benjamin...I'm glad I did it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write