The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 AM

Default A Tip and question concerning instructional videos

First the tip. When I find a guitar video on Utube I want to learn I use a program called Video Piggy to capture it, and convert it to AVI format. This allows viewing offline and most importantly allows one to pause, and then back up and replay in 5 second incriments. (I use Wimamp for this.)

A very effective learning method.

My question is how can I convert my latest instructional dvd video (Rick Ruskin - Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar) to Avi format, and will doing this allow me to pause and back up in 5 second incrimenst?

Using Windows media, or Real Player the 'back ups' are way too long to use.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this, and what converting program they used. Also I neee a program that will convert only sections of the video, rather than the entire disc.

Not sure if I am going about this in the right way, hopefully someone will have an idea, or share their own experiences with this kind of thing.

Thanks! .........Tim

http://www.in2guitar.com/

Taylor 914CE

Stonebridge gs 23 cr

Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thall View Post
My question is how can I convert my latest instructional dvd video (Rick Ruskin - Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar) to Avi format, and will doing this allow me to pause and back up in 5 second incrimenst?

Using Windows media, or Real Player the 'back ups' are way too long to use.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this, and what converting program they used. Also I neee a program that will convert only sections of the video, rather than the entire disc.
Hi Tim,

You're gonna have a blast with Rick's DVD! It's the best instructional video purchase I've ever made. Do yourself a favour and order the follow-up from Video Progressions now

Regarding the conversion....yes, it is possible and I have the video in .avi format now, though I honestly can't remember what program I used! But there are many options available online, some free and others for a small fee. I'm sure members more knowledgeable in this area will chime in.

Once you've converted the entire DVD, it's a simple matter to use a free video editor such as VirtualDub or NanDub to split the file into individual songs. The time "resolution", even for the unsplit file, is 1 second or less, which makes it a whole lot easier to "pause and rewind" than the DVD.

If you can combine that with a real-time audio/video "slow-downer" such as Transcribe!, that would be ideal (you can use it for the YouTube videos as well)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write