The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Everybody likes a bit of their own brand.

Bob
Sometimes but not always the brand they own. For example I don't own Martin Logan I just know it is a stellar home audio speaker close to the 2k budget listed . For my home theater I have SVS brand but entire 7.1 surround speaker set was about 2k. Also I actually might have recommended Amphion Argon 3L 's but at over 3k they are well beyond the budget.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-31-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 AM

You already own Harbeth's, so obviously you have "good ears".

For larger speakers, Vandersteen 2ce,sig III cannot be beat at their respective price point.

For integrated amp, it depends how much you want to spend. I am a big fan of McIntosh amps. Audio Classics is a good source for pre-owned McIntosh gear if you do want to purchase new.

If you want new, and do not want to spend huge bucks, try the CamBridge or Yamaha integrates, nice stuff, IMHO.

If your new amp, already has a decent DAC, look into the Cambridge CXC transport for very nice CD playback.

Last edited by Humbuster; 07-31-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Though they are legendary speakers deserving their reputations for accurate sound, given the fact that in the opening post Prizen mentions preferring the sound of his existing system with the loudness circuit engaged and that accuracy isn’t important, I think it unlikely that he would like the neutral sound of the AR-3a, Advent Loudspeaker or the previously mentioned Rectilinear III speakers especially with only 45 watts available to drive them.
The old Advents were popular in the days when almost everyone used a receiver with the loudness button engaged.

Audiophiles have fits when anyone mentions the use of this function.

I've owned and listened to many speakers (as I'm sure most old timers here have as well) and the old Advents are very good at reproducing "colored" sound with the loudness feature engaged so I'm puzzled by your post.

Neutral sound would be listening to them "without" the use of the loudness feature that basically mimics the "Smiley face EQ curve".

I am obviously recommending them because I have experience with them, notice I didn't recommend the big Harbeth M40 or B&W 803 that I also own. Those are out of his budget.

We all have our own preferences, same with guitars. The popularity of the old original Advents and Henry Kloss designs have gained respect for their performance and enjoyment they brought to more than a few music lovers over the past 50 odd years.
If the OP lived anywhere near me, he could pay a visit and listen for himself.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:55 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

These have gotten rave reviews:

http://www.tektondesign.com/seas-pendragon.html

I follow this guy's site quite a bit, and he's written a glowing review of the pendragon:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/0...eas-pendragon/

He also has a list of equipment that he calls references, and always has nice things to say about Rogue Audio's amplifier products:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/references/

Admittedly, the audiophile world has radically different meanings about the word "affordable" so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:22 PM

I was big into hifi in the 90's then financial focuses went elsewhere.

In the last couple years I've gone back but this time I decided instead of speakers, I was going to focus on headphones.

If you're playing/streaming flac files, or any digital content really, you'll want to make sure the DAC is good. I use a Meridian Director in that role and have been extremely pleased.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 PM

I'll just leave this here and go on about my way:
http://www.parasound.com/hint.php

It'll make cheap speakers sound great and great speakers sound glorious and make the best of any source you own.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
The old Advents were popular in the days when almost everyone used a receiver with the loudness button engaged.

Audiophiles have fits when anyone mentions the use of this function.

I've owned and listened to many speakers (as I'm sure most old timers here have as well) and the old Advents are very good at reproducing "colored" sound with the loudness feature engaged so I'm puzzled by your post.

Neutral sound would be listening to them "without" the use of the loudness feature that basically mimics the "Smiley face EQ curve".

I am obviously recommending them because I have experience with them, notice I didn't recommend the big Harbeth M40 or B&W 803 that I also own. Those are out of his budget.

We all have our own preferences, same with guitars. The popularity of the old original Advents and Henry Kloss designs have gained respect for their performance and enjoyment they brought to more than a few music lovers over the past 50 odd years.
If the OP lived anywhere near me, he could pay a visit and listen for himself.
I owned the larger, second-generation New Advent Loudspeaker and the AR-58s, a later version of the AR-3a. I wish I still had both. I presently own a pair of B&W 802s.

I gave my Advents to a friend thinking he would be happy to have them instead of his boomy Technics speakers. Years later I learned he sold them preferring the colored sound of of his Technics speakers. I’ve had other experiences where people opted for Sansui or later Fisher speakers instead of more accurate JBL and Polk speakers.

So it is that I’ve come to expect that people seeking the sound described in the opening post are likely to be more satisfied with speakers with no pretensions to high fidelity.

Loudness circuits were intended to compensate for the human ear’s loss of sensitivity to low and high frequencies at low volume. If they work as intended it is coincidental because there too many variables that a fixed circuit can’t address. Ultimately, they end up coloring the sound but to what degree depends on individual speaker characteristics and the specific acoustic properties of the room.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 AM

Thanks, I will certainly look into a new DAC. Any recommendations for some modern floorstanders. These are the brands that I have access to - Monitor Audio / Tannoy / Kef / Q Acoustics ?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

The Tekton SEAS Pendragons are some of the most highly regarded affordable floorstanders on the market. Take a look at the link in my post above...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Thanks, I will certainly look into a new DAC. Any recommendations for some modern floorstanders. These are the brands that I have access to - Monitor Audio / Tannoy / Kef / Q Acoustics ?
Any of the PSB Imagine series speakers are great.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Check out Revel speakers. I heard the F12 ($1300) and they sound wonderful. Very full and musical and never fatiguing. There are more expensive models, too, I didn't listen to them.
http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...oduct/f12.html

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
The Monitor Audio 8 and 6 are excellent speakers, great value, too.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 PM

As a long time "audio-geek", I've ridden the equipment merry go round far
longer than I should have.
As I'm also a carpenter, I got into the DIY speaker building thing about 15 years ago, I had all the tools & enough skill, a friend had all the math !
I've built many pairs of speakers, some have stayed longer than others.
You can build some very satisfying designs for relative peanuts.
There are however, as noted above, some really good sounding speakers
that don't have to break the bank.
With loudspeakers, you have to try and pick the compromises you can live with.
I've yet to hear a pair that can reproduce a cymbal, for example.
- you pick your poison.
Best of luck on your search
Old 08-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Ascend Acoustics

Take a look at Ascend Acoustics. They are mainly known for their bookshelf speakers, but they have an amazing floor standing speaker as well call the Sierra Tower.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html

I have owned the Ascend CMT-340 mains and center and the CMT-170 rears for many years and they still sound awesome. Do a search for these.

I also love the Salk Songtower speakers. If I upgrade, it will more than like be the Salk speakers.
https://www.salksound.com/songtower%20home.htm
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Ended up going for a pair of Triangle Magellan Cello SW2 floorstanders.. About a two week wait till they arrive!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN