The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Hey! I notice you're in Seattle... down here in Corvallis, there's a store called Bullfrog Music, Kurt Dietrich is the owner. Great little store, HUGE Breedlove Dealer (even has a fancy title from them?)...

To the point - Kurt is really good with tech stuff, including fret jobs... and his prices are solid - much lower than most. I have trusted him with both my Mark Angus F-40 (1979) and my Goodall Grand Concert (2011). As an example: a typical set-up on an acoustic is $40!

I know you're 4 or 5 hours away, but I believe the price reduction would make the trip worthwhile, IF you plan on keeping the Guild! At least a phone call to get a quote from him...

I would strongly recommend you ask for EVO fretwire... costs a few more $ per fret, but you won't need fret jobs again...

You are the only one who knows whether you should keep the Guild or not... I would find it very difficult to part with a guitar that I truly liked!
or go straight to the right;
use your days and save your nights.
Careful where you step
and watch what you eat;
sleep with a light and you've got it beat..."

(Richard Manuel/J.R.Robertson/)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:10 AM

I just had a complete fret job on my 1893 Bay State Parlor that included leveling the fretboard and gluing a few loose braces. I think it was around 350.00. Will Bright Guitars in Bellingham, Wa. Dusty Strings are fairly expensive but are good. You may want to try a private luthier around Seattle area.

I agree with just getting the first 5 frets done if possible. As long as the fretboard is level, you're okay.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
The re-fret is $360 The other stuff is nut / saddle / strings / tax (10%) to the tune of $582

This is at Dusty Strings in Seattle. Pretty much all they do is Acoustic.

I briefly thought of trying it but I'd rather it be done right the first time -

crossing my fingers.

Yamaha Guy - yeah I'm glad I didn't do it.

Ok then why don't you see how much it would cost to have the frets on the guitar dressed instead of refretting to get a few more miles out of it? It would not hurt to see if it could save you a few bucks.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:51 AM

I bought a kit on eBay that came with a bone saddle, pre-slotted/started bone nut, a set of nut files and some sandpaper. It was ridiculously cheap. Less than $20. It just happened that with a little filing and sanding, the saddle was a drop-in, compensated replacement for my Tacoma baritone, and the nut is the exact dimensions of a long-term project I'm working on.

I haven't done the nut work yet. So maybe I am underestimating the difficulty. But here's the thing: If you screw it up for $20, you haven't lost much and will probably have learned something. And then you have a set of files for the next nut, at least.

Getting a total refret for $360 doesn't seem that bad, but I'm guessing you can find a way to put the nut and saddle on there yourself without too much aggravation and expense.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
This is at Dusty Strings in Seattle. Pretty much all they do is Acoustic.
There are a zillion guitar shops in Seattle, but Dusty Strings is the only place I take my guitars.

Spend the money, get the work done right. However, it's certainly worth asking whether only the top five frets need replacement.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Is there a chance that the frets could just be filed/leveled and crowned?
I have had this done on several guitars.
This is a lot cheaper than a re-fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion