The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Default The problem with my dehumidifier....

I live in the Southeast coast where humidity in the house is typically in the mid 60s even with the air conditioning on. I have a great dehumidifier that easily brings it back to the low 50s. The problem is that even on the lowest setting it's pretty noisy.

I struggle with which is worse, less than optimal sound but silence or great sound played over the fan noise.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM

This Summer, I will try Evo-dry : no motor !
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 PM

When I lived in Connecticut I would have to run a dehumidifier in the summer it was a old unit and noisy but did it ever work good.

I would turn it off when playing in my music room and I would keep my eye on my hydrometers that I have around the room and when they would hit 50+ I'd turn it back on.

My guitars would sound like they were full of socks when they became over humidified.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 PM

If you have central air a whole-house a dehumidifier won't add any room noise and will keep the whole abode cool & dry. If you don't, a search on Amazon (or any on-line retailer of such, will state how loud each unit is.

Bridgepin - since I'm sure it's a typo - it's hygrometer.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 AM

Default dehumidifier

Paulzoom

High humidity in an air conditioned house can point towards a too-big A/C unit. It takes a few minutes for the dehumidifying function of the A/C to start to work, so if the unit is too big and short cycling, then it can never get it going.

Ideally, the unit would run 100% of the time on the hottest day you have, but most energy codes allow for a 25% oversizing. If your codes don't dictate this, then an installer will usually go for a bigger unit because 1) you will never complain about temperature, and 2) he makes a couple extra dollars on the bigger unit. Even with the better codes, no one is really looking at him.

Next time you have the unit replaced, be sure to get an installer that can address this sizing issue. No reason you should live with a 60% inside RH while the A/C is running, plus it will save you money both in the size of the replacement unit and in A/C costs every month.

Last edited by ruby50; 05-06-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 AM

my dehumidifier is in the semi-finished basement and I just fired it up... It's noisy but does a good job down there.

Right now, the temperature is just a little too cool to allow it from really drying things out. As soon as monsoon season in New England is over and the weather warms the basement to above 68 degrees, It'll be removing 1-2 gallons a day.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion