The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Happy Trails

Exclamation

Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The D-18 is more of a Bluegrass guitar.
If you want the best of the best for your D-28, try a set of Bluegrass gauge strings.
The high 3 strings are light gauge and the bottom 3 strings [bass]
are medium gauge.

My preference is Phosphor Bronze but others will recommend 80/20 Bronze.
Try a set of both and you decide.
I second this recommendation. After going back and forth between lights, mediums, and heavier gauges, I eventually settled on the bluegrass gauge, especially on dreads. The higher tension of the medium gauge bass strings give me a more pronounced bass range when fingerpicking and keeps me from “overplaying” the string (who’da thought?), but it doesn’t kill me when bending and playing quicker melody parts on the high strings. Plus, when I do play rhythm with a flat pick, I really feel like I can dig in and drive the top harder. I mostly play mahogany guitars, and I love the growl that hitting it hard gives me. On a rosewood guitar, that extra low end will blow you away.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I'm one of those weird people who doesn't pigeon-hole guitars according to genres; e.g dreads for flatpicking Bluegrass, OM for fingerstyle, 12-strings for strumming etc.
I have a 2018 D-18 Standard which works well for everything. Adapt your style to the guitar, not the other way around.
Hi, Andrew isn't that weird, but I DO "pigeon-hole" guitars , not by genre but by design for purpose.

Martin particularity did a whole load of research and development over, at least, their first hundred years.
Their intial guitars were very small by modern standards but still achieved good projection for the size of audience (unamplified) from "parlour" to "auditorium" and from 1902 until about 1931, their largest production model was the 12 fret 000 sized guitar.

However, in the late '20s and '30s the guitar really changed its purpose. It became a "rhythm" instrument - with the 14 fret OM and then the dreadnought.
although the OM wasn't a commercial success - introduced in 1929 and discontinued in 1933/4, when the modified dreadnought came around, both were intended largely as rhythm boxes - the OM for orchestral purposes, (fail) and the 14 fret dread for both orchestral (fail) and (small acoustic combos/folk (pass).

To my mind the 00 and the 000 are still far superior for fingerstyle, and the dreads and gibson original jumbos are primarily strumming/rhythm instruments.

A short while ago, a very god blues finger-picker dropped into my club, without intending to play, but I convinced him to do a spot.

I had my sitka/hog 12 fret dread with me that night (the loudest guitar I own) and gave it to him to play.

he sat down in front of the mic as he usually does with his 00 and comeened to pick, and we could hardly hear him, because the dread (with medium strings of course) responded best to a bit more oomph.

Of course you can play anything on anything, and there was a chap called Doc Watson who didn't seem to be too much troubled by playing dreads with fingers -

So, if you can pull out a fair balance and projection from a dread with fingers and thumbs - go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 05-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Exactly.

It's only been in the past couple of decades that many fingerpickers have started showing any marked preference for smaller-bodied guitars. There have always been lots of people fingerpicking dreadnoughts, both now and in years and generations past.

Have fun fingerpicking your fine Martin guitar. I have it on good authority that it's quite unlikely that a lightning bolt outta the blue will come zap you for doing so...

whm
Yep, I’ve been watching a lot of vintage folk clips, as well as guys from that scene that are still playing (such as Ramblin' Jack), and Martin dreads seem to be favored by many for finger picking—those guys never thought about nut width, string spacing, etc. Nor did I back in the day!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 PM

I could see being forced into rehab for using a thumb pick- but not sinning .
I use a thumb pick for everything- and seldom use a flat pick
their is room in heaven for thumb pickers. ( at least i hope they do )
Old 05-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Yep, I’ve been watching a lot of vintage folk clips, as well as guys from that scene that are still playing (such as Ramblin' Jack), and Martin dreads seem to be favored by many for finger picking—those guys never thought about nut width, string spacing, etc. Nor did I back in the day!
All true, and whilst I discovered that my style was restricted by thin necks, I'm pretty sure that it isn't an issue for most.

Also, there simply wasn't the choice back then.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 05-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimEyeGuitarGuy View Post
Welp... I can't help it. As some of you may have read, I got myself a brand new 2019 D28... I know these things are supposed to be bluegrass cannons and flatpicking machines. But, I just cannot stop thumbpicking the dog-gone thing (think a very bad version of Tommy E or Doyle Dykes - haha).

So anyone else 'sinning' along with me? I'm thinking of putting some lights on it just for some of the chord shapes I'm learning. But regardless of that, my name is Tom and I bought a D28 but I thumbpick it.

Tom (DEGG)
Congrats on your new guitar. There are no rules when it comes to making music, find your groove and boogie down
Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM

I appreciate all the comments and encouragement (and the absolution - haha)

Tom (DEGG)

2019 Martin D-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion