The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 AM

If you drive (recommended), cover the cases in a white sheet to reflect the sun.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispscone View Post
I'm currently planning a trip to visit some friends about a time zone away. (20ish hours by car). While I'm there, I'm going to do a show, and spend a day recording in my friend's studio. So it would be great to have one or more of my guitars with me.

It's supposed to be in the 50s and 60s along my route. I'll put the guitar(s) in the back seat, or possibly in the trunk with one back seat down for circulation. I won't park in the sun, or leave the car for more than 30 minutes. At night, obviously, the guitars will come with me in the motel.

My nicest guitar is a brand new Martin D-21 Special. After that, there's my 2002 D-17 all mahogany), and rounding out the series is a 2012 Guild GAD F-130R. They all have their strengths, but the D-21 really shines, and I'm tempted to bring it to record with.

Plan B is just to fly, and bring the Guild, or rely on whatever guitars I can borrow. I have a ticket, but flying with a guitar is just a drag, above and beyond the normal stress of air travel. I'd prefer the road trip.

If you could bring two guitars (or similar), which would they be?
Hi cc

As soon as I saw the words "Show" "Recording" "Studio" I said, If that's me, my best guitar is going with me.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 05-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispscone View Post
It's a thought. The D-21 has no electronics, so if I used it for the live evening, I'd have to play miked. Not the end of the world, of course, but I am a notorious mic bumper.
You might be surprised at how well a soundhole pickup works for a live evening, especially in a larger, noisier venue. Consider something like a Fishman rare-earth humbucker.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
If you drive (recommended), cover the cases in a white sheet to reflect the sun.
What about those foil sheets people put up on their car windows to minimize overheating from sunlight when parked?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
You might be surprised at how well a soundhole pickup works for a live evening, especially in a larger, noisier venue. Consider something like a Fishman rare-earth humbucker.

I've retired most of my soundhole PUPs in favor of K&Ks, but I'll A/B the D-21 with a soundhole unit against the Guild tonight. Good thought!
Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
As soon as I saw the words "Show" "Recording" "Studio" I said, If that's me, my best guitar is going with me.]
I like the way you think.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
You have guitars to play not leave home.
I don't know about 2 guitars on a plane though.
Drive and bring your best guitars.
Exactly. Don't worry about guitars for the drive. If you are comfortable in the car, so will be the guitar(s).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion