The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
This insidious mental worm of discontent and worry has been properly identified by inspector mcduff and I want to thank him for exposing it before it grabs another unsuspecting guitar buyer.
I'll second that.
Factual information trumps opinions every time
Old 05-05-2019, 01:36 PM

If you said your action was 4 mm from the top of the 12 th fret on the low e string, that would be considered high action for most. 3 mm would be low and 3.5 mm might be ideal. You would need to double the difference at the 12 fret to arrive at the amount to be removed at the saddle. Ie: to go from 4 to 3mm you would remove 2 mm from the saddle.

The measurements you listed are consistent with the new Martins I have seen.
Huss & Dalton Tom-R
R Taylor Style 2
Santa Cruz OM/PW
Taylor 914ce
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

You cannot predict into the future WHEN a neck reset will be necessary.

All you can do is get the guitar set up where you are most happy with its playability and then take care of it with proper humidity and temperature ranges so it stays as stable as wood can remain stable over years of tension and aging.

My personal rule of thumb is that if there is less than 2.0 mm of saddle showing above the bridge, with my ideal set up at the 12th fret, I know a neck reset is more likely in the future, as I cannot go lower on the saddle without making it look more like a fret than a saddle. I also lose string break angle by being so flat across the saddle.

When the action gets high at #12 and your saddle is sanded down to 2.0mm, you are facing a reset or sanding off the bridge wood to maintain your spec.

Here are the measurement of my D-42, very easy to play, low action, medium attack:

Bass E. Treble E

12th fret. 2.5mm 2.0mm

Bridge to saddle top: 3mm 2.5mm

From Top to strings 12mm 11mm

I can still sand off a bit more saddle, if necessary, before I start thinking about a neck reset.

Not knowing where your personal target action is, you perhaps need to find a very qualified set up technician to look at it for you instead of a public opinion forum when you are dealing with a very expensive guitar decision like a Martin D-42, for your own peace of mind.

Some people enjoy factory set up specs, which yours is in that range. Many players like their set up as low as possible just short of fret buzz. It also depends on how hard you pick.

Good luck. You bought a nice guitar!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I don't see anything that would indicate a neck reset is in order.

Here is a quick way to check your neck angle but first you MUST make sure your guitar is properly humidified before you check any spec's other wise it's not going to be accurate.

Take a straight edge at least 18 inches long place it in between the D and G string running with the neck slide the straight edge down to your bridge keeping the straight edge flush against the neck, the bottom of the straight edge should line up with the top of your bridge (not the saddle) Now we are going off that there is no issues with the guitar like the bridge hasn't started to belly or any loose braces that will effect the height of the bridge.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Don't concern yourself with spec; what it feels like to you is what is important.
Top of the fret.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageom View Post
You cannot predict into the future WHEN a neck reset will be necessary.

All you can do is get the guitar set up where you are most happy with its playability and then take care of it with proper humidity and temperature ranges so it stays as stable as wood can remain stable over years of tension and aging.

My personal rule of thumb is that if there is less than 2.0 mm of saddle showing above the bridge, with my ideal set up at the 12th fret, I know a neck reset is more likely in the future, as I cannot go lower on the saddle without making it look more like a fret than a saddle. I also lose string break angle by being so flat across the saddle.

When the action gets high at #12 and your saddle is sanded down to 2.0mm, you are facing a reset or sanding off the bridge wood to maintain your spec.

Here are the measurement of my D-42, very easy to play, low action, medium attack:

Bass E. Treble E

12th fret. 2.5mm 2.0mm

Bridge to saddle top: 3mm 2.5mm

From Top to strings 12mm 11mm

I can still sand off a bit more saddle, if necessary, before I start thinking about a neck reset.

Not knowing where your personal target action is, you perhaps need to find a very qualified set up technician to look at it for you instead of a public opinion forum when you are dealing with a very expensive guitar decision like a Martin D-42, for your own peace of mind.

Some people enjoy factory set up specs, which yours is in that range. Many players like their set up as low as possible just short of fret buzz. It also depends on how hard you pick.

Good luck. You bought a nice guitar!
I guess we have the same specs?

- top of the fret to low E ó> 2,4 mm
- top of the guitar to low E ó> 11,6 mm
- bridge to top saddle ó> 2,5 mm
Old 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Iíd say you have nothing to worry about. Youíre well within Martin spec.

Having said that, assuming you arenít a bluegrass player or a serious thrasher, a good guitar tech should be able to buy you some lower action if you want it.

Itís amazing the difference a thousandth or two can make in the nut slots, and you still have a little room at the saddle to work with.

But if youíre happy with the current action, please ignore everything I just wrote :-)

My friend Dave Collins, at Ann Arbor Guitars, is one of the best repair guys in the country, and his personal guitar measures 3/64Ē on the high e at the 12th fret. And it plays like nothing Iíve ever played before.

But that assumes a perfect fret job, and a setup by someone who really knows what he/she is doing.

Btw, congratulations on a beautiful guitar.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion