The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 570
Default How long before a guitar “opens up”?

I have a Faith Blood Moon guitar that I bought new about 14 months ago. It is made from all-Trembesi (Monkeypod). It is a hardwood, quite similar to Mahogany.

When it was new, although sweet sounding, I felt that it lacked resonance. Partly due to it being quite heavily built. I play this guitar about 2-3 times per week for about an hour, mostly strumming it.

About a week ago, when I played this guitar, I felt that it sounded louder and resonates much better. The change in tone was quite significant, as though it had opened up. I had not changed strings prior to playing it.

Is it possible for a guitar with a hardwood to open up so quickly based on 2-3 hours of playing a week for 14 months?

Seems a bit too quick for me. But I’m REAL GLAD it did. I changed strings to D’Addario EXP 16, 12-53, two days ago just to make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me. My guitar sounded even better with more resonance than with the old strings.
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ)
Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst
Taylor GS Mini Koa
Martin Dread Junior 2
Yamaha CSF3M (Parlour)
Lava Me 2 (Full Carbon Composite with T-A)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 AM
colins's Avatar
colins colins is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,845
Default

Sounds like an interesting guitar, would love to see a pic!

Cannot comment for a Trembesi top but I have two guitars with spruce tops that I bought brand new as custom builds and they both had that opening up experience after a bit more than a year of playing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Sounds like an interesting guitar, would love to see a pic!



Cannot comment for a Trembesi top but I have two guitars with spruce tops that I bought brand new as custom builds and they both had that opening up experience after a bit more than a year of playing.

Sure. Here’s how it looks...

Thanks for your feedback! So your 2 guitars also took about over a year to open up...





__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ)
Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst
Taylor GS Mini Koa
Martin Dread Junior 2
Yamaha CSF3M (Parlour)
Lava Me 2 (Full Carbon Composite with T-A)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2019, 02:08 AM
colins's Avatar
colins colins is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Sure. Here’s how it looks...
Looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Thanks for your feedback! So your 2 guitars also took about over a year to open up...
Yeah, and I probably played them about the same amount each week as you. It's funny because I expect that the opening up is gradual but with each guitar I had a 'moment' after a year or so where I felt that it was offering a richer and more resonant tone.

For another guitar (bought used but with next to no playing time on it and with a very stiff sitka top) I went down the Tonerite path and got a better sound in a week.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2019, 02:16 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Looks nice!







Yeah, and I probably played them about the same amount each week as you. It's funny because I expect that the opening up is gradual but with each guitar I had a 'moment' after a year or so where I felt that it was offering a richer and more resonant tone.



For another guitar (bought used but with next to no playing time on it and with a very stiff sitka top) I went down the Tonerite path and got a better sound in a week.

Wow! Interesting use of Tonerite! Would you recommend the use of Tonerite to quicken the opening up process?

Mind sharing what 2 guitars they were?
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ)
Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst
Taylor GS Mini Koa
Martin Dread Junior 2
Yamaha CSF3M (Parlour)
Lava Me 2 (Full Carbon Composite with T-A)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 AM
personatech personatech is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roanoke Rapids, NC
Posts: 392
Default

It took my cedar-topped Seagull less than a year to open up but cedar is known for that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Big Band Guitar Big Band Guitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 696
Default

I wonder.

Does the guitar "open up"

or

Over time does our playing calibrate to the guitar subconsciously.

Making it sound better?
__________________
"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

"My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 570
Wink My vote is the former!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I wonder.

Does the guitar "open up"

or

Over time does our playing calibrate to the guitar subconsciously.

Making it sound better?
Good question!

IMHO, I think that guitars do open up. Our playing does improve and calibrate to our guitars but I feel the former is more likely than the latter. Let’s hear what the rest think? Cheers!
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ)
Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst
Taylor GS Mini Koa
Martin Dread Junior 2
Yamaha CSF3M (Parlour)
Lava Me 2 (Full Carbon Composite with T-A)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Shortfinger Shortfinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: FL & NY & IL
Posts: 670
Default

I can tell by the pics that the guitar has already opened up.

Maybe it's you.

Just play it!
__________________
______________________________________
Gene Davis
Naples, FL


1972 Martin D18
Fender PM-2 all-mahogany parlor
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Too many ukeleles
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2019, 10:18 AM
jklotz jklotz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I wonder.

Does the guitar "open up"

or

Over time does our playing calibrate to the guitar subconsciously.

Making it sound better?
I don't think so. Some of mine have definitely changed for the better since new. But this last one, an Eastman eOM-20, I decided to put it to the test, so I recorded it when I got it. My hopes are to remember to go back in a year or so and duplicate that recording for comparison. Should be fairly easy to do - my recording setup, interface and mic don't change. Only variable is strings, and I did it with 1 day old strings. If you guys help me to remember next April, I'll post the recordings.
__________________
2019 Eastman E20-OM
2014 Martin HD-28
2013 Gibson 1950's J-45 (Custom Shop RI)
2012 The Loar LH-200
2014 Sigma SD-28
and a whole slew of electric guitars
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Big Band Guitar Big Band Guitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I don't think so. Some of mine have definitely changed for the better since new. But this last one, an Eastman eOM-20, I decided to put it to the test, so I recorded it when I got it. My hopes are to remember to go back in a year or so and duplicate that recording for comparison. Should be fairly easy to do - my recording setup, interface and mic don't change. Only variable is strings, and I did it with 1 day old strings. If you guys help me to remember next April, I'll post the recordings.
There is more than 1 variable.
1 strings
2 playing calibrating to the instrument
2a are you holding it tight to your body or away.
3 temperature
4 humidity
5 barometric pressure

Did you record 3, 4, and 5 so that they can be reproduced?

I'm not saying your wrong just that there are many factors and they all contribute.
__________________
"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

"My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2019, 03:59 PM
SongwriterFan SongwriterFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 24,448
Default

Did the indoor humidity recently change (specifically, get dryer)?

I've found that I prefer acoustics MUCH better near 40% RH than near 50% RH, and they really sound bad when RH gets to 55% RH or even 60% RH.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 PM
pandaroo pandaroo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Did the indoor humidity recently change (specifically, get dryer)?

I've found that I prefer acoustics MUCH better near 40% RH than near 50% RH, and they really sound bad when RH gets to 55% RH or even 60% RH.
That has been my experience too.
__________________
Benavides OM
Rainsong CH-WS
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:53 PM
D-utim D-utim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 241
Default

Sounds weather related.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Shortfinger Shortfinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: FL & NY & IL
Posts: 670
Default

Mine live here in subtropical SW FL, A/C on always, but RH inside into the 60s routinely, and my guitars have opened up so much I can't stand it.
__________________
______________________________________
Gene Davis
Naples, FL


1972 Martin D18
Fender PM-2 all-mahogany parlor
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Too many ukeleles
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=