The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 AM

I think the number can be much higher for those who gig or record, especially if you do an eclectic mix of genres. In that case, you have a need for more tones to suit the current project. If you just play one style, just play at home, etc. then just one or two instruments can be enough.

For example, I am an accompanist at a school, play occasional gigs either solo or with others that might need various acoustics or electrics, record varied music from acoustic fingerstyle to whatever is needed for a video backing track. So I have about a dozen instruments, various styles of acoustic, different electrics, bass, mandolin around. Some won't get played for months but then come out for a while for a particular piece or gig. I wouldn't want to not have them available.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Two acoustics. That's it.

Let's not talk about how many other instruments I have though.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Three for me: a 12-fret, a 14-fret, and a resonator.

Oh, and a travel guitar. And an electric guitar. And a bass. And a lap steel.

So yeah, three.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:20 AM

With 7 acoustics and 9 electrics, I have far more than I can handle. The electric band has told me to just play one.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I feel the same.

When I had budget instruments, there didnít seem to be a limit, but those are all gone. A good quality acoustic guitar deserves to be played; if not itís a waste for my amateur purposes, and has lead me to donate away to someone who will put it to good use.

Electric guitars donít seem to have that same Ďsoulí, so even 4 in cases in the closet or out on stands to look at and play occasionally is not a problem.
Good points!

The amount of $ a guitar costs also weighs heavily on my conscience. If an expensive guitar doesn't get played, there is no sense in storing it in a closet.

The answer? Play them all!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 AM

My head started to spin after I got my fifth acoustic last year. I still have five although two of them are for sale at a local shop on consignment. Three (the ones in my sig) seems to be the right number for me.
'18 Martin 000-18
Old 05-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the majority here. About 3 or 4 is the max. Sigh...which means my Brazilian Taylor 710 is now for sale locally.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 AM

I think there's a real factor that leads to a limit of how many guitars one can comprehend in terms of making the choice of "which one to play." Above a number it gets hard to hold in one's mind the qualities that make the choice "that one" as one starts to play.

I also agree with Jaden's post above about the cost of a guitar that isn't used regularly increasing the guilt factor.

There is one positive factor with unused guitars. You can return to them, even arbitrarily, and have the joys of NGD mixed with nostalgia and you recall why you bought it and what you may have played on it years ago.

No one's mentioned it yet, so I will: given that I live in a dry climate nearly half the year, the tasks of keeping wooden acoustic guitars at a reasonable humidity level constrains me.

But that all said, and knowing that logically I have too many guitars, I enjoy variety and with my current project I get a chance use the different voices and playability differences of my accumulation of generally inexpensive acoustics.

Frankly I have too many electric guitars, but I enjoy them the same way that folks who collect ceramics or glass etc, as interesting objects with varieties of forms, colors, associations as well as musical instruments. I have very little of the same interest in acoustic guitars. If I was wealthy and wanted to indulge myself I'd probably enjoy having 10 Telecasters in different colors for example, but I'd have no interest in collecting all the finish options for even my favorite acoustic model or having a custom model with special inlays or bindings or other bling.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Like many, the number for me is 4. I'm now confident that is the max. At times I think 3 is a better number but not driven to go down one. The longer term might be to sell two and get a significantly higher end one but my ear ain't all that refined .
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM

427,645. Im not quite there yet.
Actually im not even close ..I have 2 dreds a parlor
a mandolin and an archtop octave mandolin. And a fretless pbass.
I play the bass ,mandolin and one of the dreds
in a band so i guess i only need 3.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 AM

ONLY ONE AT A TIME.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 AM

I've landed on three guitars to fill the needs: one spruce over Mahogany, one Spruce over Rosewood, one Mahogany over Blackwood.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Because I have a summer/weekend home and I keep my Soloette at work, my number is five. I keep one nylon string and one steel string at each house.

Keeping up with string changes proves to be a challenge. I am always behind.

I plan to retire soon and sell one house. I can settle into 2.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:21 AM

I hope to end up with three:

A 00, the Martin OM-21, and either a slope shouldered dread or a mini-jumbo.

The Blueridge is likely end up as wall art but it was a 60th birthday present from my mom and I am highly unlikely to part with it.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have 3 working guitars and 3 heirloom guitars. The working guitars all get a fair amount of duty on gigs, but the 000-17 is my main gigging guitar. I'll take along the Ibanez or the 000X1AE as a backup on most gigs, but if there's not a problem I play the 000-17. Now occasionally I'll have gigs in kinda sketchy venues so for those the 000X1AE or the Ibanez will be the gig guitar. That's another way of matching the tool to the job.

My heirloom guitars are dad's old J-45, the Taylor 710 that my wife gave me when she was pregnant with our daughter and a blueburst Telecaster that I built a few years ago. Some get gigged occasionally if it's a special occasion or radio / TV gig, but for the most part they just mean something special to me and I play them at home. The telecaster rarely gets played and right now I don't even have an electric amp, but I built the dang thing, it's really pretty and I like having it around. Besides I get to look at all of them because they're on wall hangers.
'15 Martin 000X1AE
'16 Ibanez AVC6DTS
'12 Partscaster Blueburst
More to come later...

Mick Kyte - Head Pick Flunky
http://www.goatwhiskeypicks.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion