The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Default iRIG acoustic -> Yamaha THR5A?

Been trying to find an answer.

Can I connect iRig acoustic to an amplifier (Yamaha THR5A acoustic) via the headphone 1/8 stereo output of the iRig to the 1/4 mono input (I know i would have to use the right cable) of the/an amplifier and use the iRig merely as a pickup/mic to enable the settings on the amplifier and ”bypass” the amplifying effects that the software on the iphone produces? I know I could use the aux 1/8 stereo input on the Yamaha THR5A and use it as regular speaker and that I would get the ”amplifying effects” from the iRig/iPhone. Not sure if the Yamaha THR5 (or any other acoustic amp) would do a better job and if this is something you would want, at least in (my) theory it is. Please enlighten me
Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I have an iRig Studio and even with the DSP selections I get more mic resonance that I like, but I think it sounds good to others. The ideal cable would be a 3.5mm TRS stereo to 1/4" TS mono cable such as a Hosa CMP-110, but I don't think it will be critical to get both L & R into the amp. The signal will be on the hot side (loud) of what that amp is expecting but some active guitar pickups are close to headphone levels. I don't know if the Studio's headphone output works without its TRRS cable plugged into an Apple or Android device running an appropriate app. Have you tried that?

RainSong CH-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong H-DR1100N2, TKL 8910
All 3 taped Schatten Passive HFN & Elixir PB11

Notepad-12FX, one QSC CP8 (21 lbs) high/behind
Duo gigging no mixer two SM58>Y>CP8, HFN>HelixStomp>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

www.justsoduo.com
Old 12-17-2018, 05:11 AM

Don't have it (yet) but I'm thinking about getting an iRig and I've had my eyes on the Yamaha THR5A. All new to amplifying acoustic guitars so I'm open för any other suggestions . Thought I would get the details correct before buying anything.

I've read somewhere that you need to have "the device" (meaning an iphone /ipad i guess?) connected in order for the iRig to work, that you can use an amplifier as "speaker" if kept the amp on "no-effect" via headphone out, but what I'm wondering is of you can bypass the effects from the iphone/ipad and use the effects of the amplifier instead?

Thank you for suggesting a proper Cable btw!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

It seems logical that the app would let you use the mic with no effects. In all likely hood the headphone output of the iRig is just the headphone output from the Apple or Android device; so no device no sound.

RainSong CH-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong H-DR1100N2, TKL 8910
All 3 taped Schatten Passive HFN & Elixir PB11

Notepad-12FX, one QSC CP8 (21 lbs) high/behind
Duo gigging no mixer two SM58>Y>CP8, HFN>HelixStomp>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

www.justsoduo.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification