The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 05:26 AM

Default Taylor Academy 14e vs Martin Dx1AE

I want to buy a new acoustic guitar
right now I have some model of Ibanez AW series.

I play only at home and I want a simple acoustic guitar with a good sound.

I think about the
Taylor Academy 14e vs Martin Dx1AE

also I think on the Big baby of Taylor.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

I think you should also look at the Martin Dread Jr. It's probably less expensive than any of those, all solid wood, nice size, and that nice Martin tone.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I think you should also look at the Martin Dread Jr. It's probably less expensive than any of those, all solid wood, nice size, and that nice Martin tone.
I'll give this a +1.

Taylor Academy series guitars are REALLY nice, and you get a lot of guitar for the money spent.
I think, personally, they are far better than the HPL Martins at the same price point.

...but...

If you're looking for something that offers amazing tone and impeccable construction for that budget range, you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than the DJr. All solid wood. Loud and proud. 15/16 size of a normal dread.

That said...the Eastman PCH series is pretty great, too.. from what I've read.

And the new releases from Yamaha are phenomenal, as well. FG models for the dreadnought, FS models for the concert sized option. Both are fantastic, and very budget friendly.

Happy hunting!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

Last edited by drawshot1975; 04-28-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawshot1975 View Post
I think, personally, they are far better than the HPL Martins at the same price point.
what is the HPL Matins?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMN View Post
what is the HPL Matins?
Martins constructed of high-pressure laminate (HPL) which is a fancy word for not-solid wood. More like countertop than solid wood.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMN View Post
what is the HPL Matins?
Sorry.....got lost in geek-speak.

HPL is, basically, laminate construction. I don't have anything against laminate back and sides on guitars...and have owned plenty that were awesome instruments.

I just feel like the laminate Taylors are better guitars, build-wise, than comparable Martins with similar materials.

However - your particular tastes may be different. Just adding my 2 cents to the conversation...and I can make change!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 04-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

I compare the sound of the Taylor academy 12e against the Martin drJ

And I think I prefer the Taylor bacons it's sound more bright.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

I’m assuming you mean the 12e, there isn’t a 14e. They’ve got the 114e.

I have a 12e and really like it. Very comfortable. I did some setup on mine and it plays really fantastic.

Keep in mind the 12e is not really a shrunken/mini guitar. It’s jus a GC body. It’s bigger than a 00 guitar, it is closest to a 000 body in Martin’s lineup. I had an 00 before and I felt like the GC body was a definite adjustment.

I have played US made Taylor GC guitars that I didn’t like as much as my 12e. All the different models sound distinctly different. The 12e can sound brash or metallic though. You need to consider your pick and strings carefully I guess, and not overpower the guitar. The more expensive guitars seem much more resistant to that. For fingerpicking I have 0 complaints I love it’s tone.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Martins constructed of high-pressure laminate (HPL) which is a fancy word for not-solid wood. More like countertop than solid wood.
The Martin DJr and the DX1AE are about the same price right now with discounts and sales. If you want a 000 body, the 000X1AE is the one that fills that niche.

The DX1AE will have a solid Sitka Spruce top with HPL back and sides. The top is the most important part of the sound box. HPL is tough, stable, and doesn't react to moisture like wood. The counter top comparison is wearing a little thin. Play one before you count it out, since the sound is what matters.

The future of guitars will move towards composite materials and non-traditional woods in my opinion. Too much regulation and unnecessary bureaucracy to go back now.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Generally speaking I'm a Martin guy and although I think Taylor makes great guitars I've never like them much. That said I've never played the Martin Dx1AE but I recently played a couple Taylor Academy guitars and I have to admit that they a LOT of guitar for the money. I keep going back into my local store and playing the little A12e N nylon guitar and it's wonderful. I've been looking for a nylon guitar and this one just might fit the bill. I have played the Martin Djr. guitars that others are recommending here and that, too, is a wonderful sounding and playing guitar. Very impressive. I would try to find someplace you can A/B those two models and one of them will speak to you. Generally speaking if you like a brighter, modern sound go Taylor. If you prefer a warmer, classic tone then go Martin.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Default HPL

HPL is not a laminated wood, it is similar to Formica with the wood grain printed on it.
While at GC one afternoon I heard the sales person tell a prospective customer that the HPL Koa martin was real KOA.
I butted in and informed the customer what HPL was.
The sales person argued that it had real KOA in it.
I don't think the salesman was intentionally lying, he was just very uninformed.
I have played a few of theses guitars that sounded really nice.
I have talked to some gigging guitarist who love them. One guy had dropped his and patched the hole with Wilsonart plastic laminate, and laminate contact cement.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Taylor Academy 14e vs Martin DX1AE

Taylor, hands down - if I want a synthetic-body guitar Ovation has 50+ years' experience, better necks, distinctive looks, and more bang-for-the-buck IME...
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the answers

At the end I bought the Big Baby Taylor I really love it's sound and it so comfortable to play.

So now I have an Ibanez AW and the Big baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion