The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM

I love both my Martin and my SCGC guitars But this may be the most ridiculous comparison between two instruments I have ever seen on this Forum.
The SC is played softly and the microphone is well aft and away from the soundhole/12th fret. the "Attack " is light and and soft.
The Martin is played in a much more "Determined" style and the mic is much closer to the soundhole and the 12th fret of the instrument.....where any decent sound guy would place it.
Both are fine guitars but asking for us to make a comparison is absurd.
I know both instruments well and have played several of both models both at well known guitar shops and in my own music room.....IMHO this example of SCGC Versus Martin is not in the least an accurate representation.
I listened to both videos through Bose headphones.
No question the Martin sounds richer in this post.....but in person I promise you the advantage goes to the SC.
One should Never make a buying decision based upon videos of this quality.
2008 SCGC Custom OT Madi/ Italian
2015 SCGC Custom OM Hog "The Tree"/ European
2016 SCGC Custom 1934 D-45 Braz/ Adi
Life is a journey...not a guided tour
Old 05-04-2019, 10:23 PM

just noticed the Authentic has a 1 7/8" nut. I much prefer 1 3/4" for my short little fingers.
Gretsch Banjo
ukes: TK1 Uke,Harmony "Smeck" Uke (30s?), banjo-uke
Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
I love both my Martin and my SCGC guitars But this may be the most ridiculous comparison between two instruments I have ever seen on this Forum.
The SC is played softly and the microphone is well aft and away from the soundhole/12th fret. the "Attack " is light and and soft.
The Martin is played in a much more "Determined" style and the mic is much closer to the soundhole and the 12th fret of the instrument.....where any decent sound guy would place it.
Both are fine guitars but asking for us to make a comparison is absurd.
I know both instruments well and have played several of both models both at well known guitar shops and in my own music room.....IMHO this example of SCGC Versus Martin is not in the least an accurate representation.
I listened to both videos through Bose headphones.
No question the Martin sounds richer in this post.....but in person I promise you the advantage goes to the SC.
One should Never make a buying decision based upon videos of this quality.
To be clear, Iím not asking for people to listen to these videos for me. I posted the videos just so people could see the guitars being played. The whole point of this thread is to solicit feedback from people who have played these in person. I donít care what they sound like on YouTube and agree that videos are a poor representation of live sound.

Can I ask, since you have experience playing both, what is it about the tone of the SC that is superior to the Martin? Iíve played the Martin and found it to be wonderful but donít have access to the SC. I too am not willing to use video comparisons, so your thoughts are valuable. Thank you for any first hand insights you might share.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I've spent some time with the Martin and loved every minute--the tone is to-die-for and the neck is among the most comfy I've played, and light as a feather (3lbs 2ozs on my scale).

. . .

Iíve played the Martin and found it to be wonderful but donít have access to the SC.
In your shoes, I'd probably jump on that Martin that you played.

In spite of what I (and others) have said above.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I prefer the Martin. I too have a 1937 00-17 and have sold my 000-15S, 00-15M, and SCGC 1929 00 sunburst. There is no bad guitar here. A Martin has the Martin tone which is more scooped than a Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz is nicely balanced. I have not yet played the 00-17A, but have played 6 or 7 00-17s from the early 30's. My favorite of all the Authentics so far is the 00-18A 1931 so I'd imagine that the 00-17A 1931 is just as good. There are too many variables in nut spacing, neck shape, 12/14 frets, and luthier vs built to a spec vs vintage. I love the Don Edwards version of the 1929, but if I had $4500 to spend, I'd get the real deal in either 12 or 14 fret. If going the vintage route, you need to know your stuff or pay a bit more at a specialty shop so they can guide you in not buying a disaster basket case. If that last sentence scares you, thats what the Authentic or 1929 is for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion