The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording vocals through a processing pedal?

I have a couple of the TC Helicon pedals for vocals and was wondering if you guys have ever tried recording vocals through a pedal? Or, is adding effects always better after recording through the DAW?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 PM

IMHO it's always best to record dry and ad whatever trips your trigger later when editing. As far as effects go I'm been most pleased when whatever I've done isn't obvious. An example would be reverbs, where I don't notice the reverb until I hit stop and can then hear the effects on the tail. Same with everything, although EQs can be more noticeable.

My general rule of thumb; if it draws my attention or I notice its presence then it's too much.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 AM

Default Pre DAW FX

Depends if you know what you are after . There's plenty of hit recordings
that relied on what was in the recording room and not post production .

I'm using Win 10 64 bit w/4 gigs of ram . That's not enough unless you use a
hardware FX unit before the CPU .

With my T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X it's easy going into my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 .
I also use the FX off my Roland GR33 guitar synth FX unit to before the CPU this way .

If you vocal processor cut's it live and you like it , and you are getting good results
from those who listen and it's a state of the art processor , sure go for it .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
IMHO it's always best to record dry and ad whatever trips your trigger later when editing. As far as effects go I'm been most pleased when whatever I've done isn't obvious. An example would be reverbs, where I don't notice the reverb until I hit stop and can then hear the effects on the tail. Same with everything, although EQs can be more noticeable.

My general rule of thumb; if it draws my attention or I notice its presence then it's too much.
I think that's pretty normal around here. Not so much out in the world.

Couch Standards
Old 12-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have a couple of the TC Helicon pedals for vocals and was wondering if you guys have ever tried recording vocals through a pedal? Or, is adding effects always better after recording through the DAW?
Most recording interfaces have line out/line in jacks which allow you to do post-recording processing using outboard hardware units (instead of using software plugins). Of course, you have to set your DAW properly to do this also (called "inserts" in ProTools). If you can do this you will have the best of both worlds -- (i) use of your hardware device and (ii) use of it at mixdown.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Most recording interfaces have line out/line in jacks which allow you to do post-recording processing using outboard hardware units (instead of using software plugins). Of course, you have to set your DAW properly to do this also (called "inserts" in ProTools). If you can do this you will have the best of both worlds -- (i) use of your hardware device and (ii) use of it at mixdown.
Agree IMO better to do it dry and apply FX afterwards , plug in or hardware, with the possible exception compression on vocal (depending in the dynamic swing of the singer ).
On my next recording I am going to try a little bit of compression from my hardware comp going in on my vocal .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM

To add to what has already been said, it is also possible to set up a monitor mix with insert effects or plugins, without them being added to the recorded track(s). Very useful if you need a bit of verb or the like to get the feel right for the performer.
Often times, if the recording is just a vocal and single instrument, and you don't get heavy handed, good results can be achieved pre or post. For a large project with multiple tracks my approach is to keep things simple, by spending the time to get the best sounds I can with mic placement, playing/vocal dynamics. I find that with a larger project that I have trouble getting things to sit well and sound natural if I go the pre route(during mix down) .Another reason that I prefer this method is that everything added in the digital realm is cumulative, and eats away at the headroom of the mix, leaving you painted into a corner on what can be added at mix down . It took me quite a bit of time to get my head wrapped around that, and subtractive EQ'ing. I'm no pro, so rather than try to speak to those techniques, I would encourage anyone interested to have a look around the net, as there are some really well written articles and posts to be found. Recording is a lot like playing in that I don't think anyone doing either ever really feels that they have mastered it. I wish I had more time for both.
Sheppard
Old 12-18-2017, 03:28 PM

If it sounds good it is good. Many of the best vocal recordings done were straight into compressors, reverbs, and tape delays. And yes you can add them post production, but many times it's the effect that influences the vocal take!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If it sounds good it is good. Many of the best vocal recordings done were straight into compressors, reverbs, and tape delays. And yes you can add them post production, but many times it's the effect that influences the vocal take!
For sure! I recently stepped up my interface and plugins to UA. The plugins are way different than what I had grown accustom to with the Logic X plugs. (That's not to say that the Logic X plugs aren't great) The UA plugs can be subtle, and very musical at once. I really like the LA2A up front on a lot of things. I've had the thing for 6 months, but been so busy with work that I haven't really had a good stretch of time to get much recording done. Looking forward to so time off over the holidays so I can lay a few tunes down.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
For sure! I recently stepped up my interface and plugins to UA. The plugins are way different than what I had grown accustom to with the Logic X plugs. (That's not to say that the Logic X plugs aren't great) The UA plugs can be subtle, and very musical at once. I really like the LA2A up front on a lot of things. I've had the thing for 6 months, but been so busy with work that I haven't really had a good stretch of time to get much recording done. Looking forward to so time off over the holidays so I can lay a few tunes down.

Although some of those UA plug-ins sound great, I was more referring to singing through the hardware, just like the OP was asking about singing through his FX processor. I run my tracks back through my UA LA610s through inserts, but there's nothing like singing through the stuff and having react instantaneously through the hardware.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Although some of those UA plug-ins sound great, I was more referring to singing through the hardware, just like the OP was asking about singing through his FX processor. I run my tracks back through my UA LA610s through inserts, but there's nothing like singing through the stuff and having react instantaneously through the hardware.

Mighty fine set up you have there sir! I don't own any good hardware yet, but am hoping to change that soon. I really don't have much extra time to use what I do have, but I do enjoy laying a track down every now and again. Many of the members here are getting some fantastic results, so looking forward to picking up any knowledge I can.
Have a great one!
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 PM

That brings up an interesting issue. Most people record dry these days and then add FX and processing after the fact.

In the days of analogue & limited track counts most engineers tried to get the exact sound they wanted printed to tape.

I've done both. I think that you should play it safe & add FX later if you are not sure of what your doing or are unsure of what you're after.

If you know what you're doing & know the sound you want...there is little reason to not get it recorded that way from the get-go.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-23-2017, 03:36 AM

Thumbs up Re AMPINGi Via A Stomp/Pedal FX UNIT

After I posted my take on this post's theme I read up and realized with my Focusrite Scarlett I could take a dry track
from my DAW and feed it back into my

T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X and go back into it's FX and re record the dry track with FX back into my DAW , cool huh .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD