The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Flu shots

Some get them, some do not.
I always do, because they are free with my health insurance,
and why not try to be protected?
Some never get them, and seem fine not to.
Whatta y’all do when flu season comes around? Shot, or no shot?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 PM

Shot please.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Nanny Jane and I get them every year. NHS provision. I've had pneumonia and have Bronchiectsasis. First time ever got a bad reaction. Shaky achy legs, and tight chest - (really bad - could't breathe).
Called ambulance - three folks at the front door before the phone was replaced.
Checked all sorts of stuff including my heart. All they wanted to know about was the guitars in my lounge. Snifly female paramedic has given me a cold too now!
supposed to be performing on Thursday!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:17 PM

The guaranteed illnesses one catches if one gets the flu is worth it for me to get the shot and try to stay healthy. Being sick for a week would cost me a lot of money,
Old 11-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

My wife is immunocompromised, so I have always got one so I didn’t expose her to anything nasty. As I’ve aged, it’s a good thing for me too. And now pneumonia and shingles shots too.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Nanny Jane and I get them every year. NHS provision. I've had pneumonia and have Bronchiectsasis. First time ever got a bad reaction. Shaky achy legs, and tight chest - (really bad - could't breathe).
Called ambulance - three folks at the front door before the phone was replaced.
Checked all sorts of stuff including my heart. All they wanted to know about was the guitars in my lounge. Snifly female paramedic has given me a cold too now!
supposed to be performing on Thursday!
Don't discount the idea that you were exposed prior to the vaccine taking full effect. I'm not a medical doctor, although I used to play doctor as a child, but I've had a flu shot every year for as long as I can remember with no adverse reactions. Other medicines can leave you immuno-compromised and (here in the States) there are different dosage guidelines for those of us at a certain age. In any case, I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM

I'm up for a shot, set em' up!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
My wife is immunocompromised, so I have always got one so I didn’t expose her to anything nasty. As I’ve aged, it’s a good thing for me too. And now pneumonia and shingles shots too.
Yes, DO get the shingles shot! It is a nasty piece of business and to be avoided as much as possible.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Watching my husband go through a viral infection in October that put him in bed with a fever for a week, out of commission for two weeks, and not back to himself for three weeks, reinforced the importance of a flu shot to me. His wasn't influenza, but it still literally knocked him off his feet to where I nearly called 911. We did spend a total of 10 hours in the ER on two occasions. If the flu shot will help my odds, I'm going for it. Scary stuff.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 PM

Last year there were 80,000 flu-related deaths in the U.S. That should be enough to show most that if there's anything that can mitigate flu related illness and/or death, it is worth it.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM

Absolutely yes here. When I weigh risks versus benefits, the risks of a flu shot are almost non-existent. Anecdotal evidence (ie. "well, my brother-in-law got sick after his flu shot") doesn't cut it for me.

In the arguments used by many (ie. it doesn't protect against the active flu strain) one item that doesn't get discussed is cross-immunization. In effect, your immune system becomes primed to defend. If you have been getting flu vaccinations for several years, you have now built up antibodies to many more flu strains.

Also, if you are of a certain age, get the new shingles shot and the Prevnar-13 (pneumonia).

Wishing you all a safe and flu-free Thanksgiving!

Rick
Old 11-20-2018, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Yes! I got the flu shot and the pneumonia shot. I did get the flu though. It was rough but only lasted a day. At 65 I can see where people can die from having the flu. I'll take all the help I can get.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 AM

It's just say NO for me. Last time I got the flu shot I ended up with head to toes hives. I'm not sure what I'm allergic to in them, but no flu shot for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

DK, that's a bummer. I think it's usually an egg allergy that causes that sort of issue. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm all for them. I had a evolutionary biology class a few years back where a whole day was spent discussing how the flu shots are designed. It was fascinating... looking at the evolution of flu viruses all over the world. Taking them is certainly a good idea for most of us.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:11 AM

I'm 71 and have never had a flu shot but I'm going to get one this year for two reasons. At my age a serious bout of pneumonia makes me uneasy and since I tend to hang out with other youthfully-challenged codgers I don't want to pass it on to someone with a compromised immune system. It's kind of like the rationale for vaccines in society.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic