The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Isn't this exactly what happened to so many people in 1918? It was young, otherwise healthy people who were hit the hardest in many cases, with their lungs overwhelmed and destroyed by their own immune systems.

I get the flu shot every year. I'm sort of hoping that the more different strains I get exposed to ahead of time, the better my chances in the next pandemic.
Yup. I think a strain 3-4 years ago had similar results, BUT vaccine use probably prevented it from being so prevalent.

The 1918 Spanish Flu was fueled by global transport of soldiers from Europe to the US. I know so many folks who travel all over, which would probably bring pandemics if it weren't for vaccines.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 AM

I've had anaphylactic shock from a previously unknown food allergy ( Shrimp, Lobster and Crab) and nearly died.. My reaction to the flu shot was milder... Hives from head to toe... I'm not allergic to eggs & eat them regularly. Never had any issues with Latex either.

I am allergic to all variations of penicillin and any medication that contains any sulphur. My guess is that there's something in the "special sauce" for flu shots that cause my allergic reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
My wife and I got our first flu shots this year. I did fine, but she, on the other hand, had a rough go of it.

Sever allergic reaction. Is she allergic to eggs, you might ask. No she isn't, but she is allergic to latex. Apparently some types of vaccines are drawn straight through a latex stopper.

That would've been nice to know before the severe anaphylactic reaction lead to a scary night in the emergency room.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-27-2018, 07:21 PM

My wife and I have been talking about getting the flu shot for about two weeks. This morning I mentioned it and being that she is on vacation, we took a drive to our local pharmacy and pulled up our shirt sleeves. The worse part of the process was getting signed in which in was reality quick and easy and consisted of completing a general health history form. The complete process for the two of us was less than 30 minutes. Our daughter is a nurse and she is around many people daily at the hospital, so we felt it wise for us to do all we can to get out in front of a potential illness.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I will say, for the first time I got mine this year and my arm was pretty sore for the next two days. Must be getting older. Small price to pay, IMHO...
I have been getting the flu shot for years, and normally my arm feels mildly sore for about a day or two, and that is it. This year, I too seem to have a much stronger reaction. Plus I seem to get a mild-ish form of flu, which I have never experienced before from the shot. Still, I have serious lung issues and I will take ANY percentage of resistance to a real flu. Yup, a small price to pay.

My doctor says if I get pneumonia it will likely kill me. So I take precautions. For example I never take public transit without wearing gloves, ever.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
11%? I don't think so. Check the CDC. 89% ineffectiveness would result in a pandemic.

If you got influenza, it should be less severe due to the shot. I got it 2 years ago and it felt about like a cold. I couldn't move when I got full blown influenza in 2005.

Before you try to rip me a new one, I'm in healthcare and well versed in immunology, toxicology, epidemiology, and a few other "ology's".
So am I. My 30th year in the medical profession. And I wouldn’t rip anyone a new one. Ok, perhaps I would.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic