The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2023, 10:42 AM

Default James May UltraTonic 3.2 mini Review

I have been a customer of James for a few years. I've owned a couple versions of the UltraTonic pickup and the K&K upgrade kits along with the ToneDexter version 1. I ordered the UltraTonic 3.2 some time ago planning to install in another guitar. That didn't work out, but it's all for the best. I ended up finding a very good fit for the UT3.2 - a Martin Super D with Guatemalan rosewood.

The pickup installation is very easy and straightforward if you have experience with K&K, and make or have your own jig. SpruceTop recommends using the 6 minute cure epoxy for installation, but I used superglue gel. I've had enough experience with it that I didn't need the glue mobility, but you'll need to make your own decision about that.

The sound is very K&K like. The gain is a bit lower, but that's to be expected. There's a lot going on in this passive circuit. I found the single strip sensor to sound better to my ears than the usual 3 discs. What's missing is some of the interference between the usual 3 discs that can make the K&K sound "interesting" or "natural" to some people. It can also sound muddy and weak on the high e. It depends on the installation and the guitar. Not so with the UT3.2. This sensor sounds really clean and natural to me. I would go as far as to say "faithful" to the instrument.

Feedback rejection is excellent. It's a world of difference between the K&K and the UT3.2. Testing at high volume direct into the amps, I could barely plug in the K&K equipped guitars before the feedback was howling. The UT3.2 was quiet. No feedback in my testing. Now, tone wise, I think you can take the anti-feedback bass cancellation too far with this pickup. And, indeed, I tried the recommended method of setting the dip switch. I found it sounded to sterile. In my guitar, perhaps because of how well the bass sensor works on this model, I only needed setting 12 or 11 to get feedback rejection along with a full sounding tone. "A little dab'll do ya."

The volume control with the cable tone switch works as advertised. Clever.

Now, to be totally objective, I will say that if you are using a pedal board with a unit like my LR Baggs Voice Print or the ToneDexter, I'm not sure the UT3.2 is needed because the pedal does all the feedback cancellation and tone shaping for you. James might argue that point and I'd be glad to hear his opinion. In fact, I would encourage him to respond to the tread if he feels comfortable.

All in all, another well designed product from James. Kudos!

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-18-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:41 PM

Dave can you add a soundcloud sample please?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-18-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Dave can you add a soundcloud sample please?
I'd love to, but I don't have my recording setup out. We had a house flood and some of my stuff got ruined. I haven't been able to do a proper check on the board or replace it if needed. I also need to setup a soundcloud account. So, yeah, I'm a hot mess.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:10 PM

Thanks for this review, it's quite timely as I'm considering the 3.2 for installation in a new build.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-18-2023, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I love my UltraTonics - no battery, great sound, don’t need to worry about what I’m plugging into and I still get great sound. It’s a great option if you need a pickup, and an even better way to upgrade an existing K&K install -
Old 03-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I recently installed a UT 3.2 in my Emerald X-20 (carbon fiber), and have been really happy with the result. As mentioned, feedback resistance is great, and the 12-position switch to tweak tone is very nice.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I love my UltraTonics - no battery, great sound, don’t need to worry about what I’m plugging into and I still get great sound. It’s a great option if you need a pickup, and an even better way to upgrade an existing K&K install -
Great info. So, no preamp necessary?
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-18-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I'd love to, but I don't have my recording setup out. We had a house flood and some of my stuff got ruined. I haven't been able to do a proper check on the board or replace it if needed. I also need to setup a soundcloud account. So, yeah, I'm a hot mess.
Here's a thread I've posted of my UltraTonic 3.2 installation in my 2016 Martin D-18. It was a journey through the DIP-switch settings until I settled on Switch #3. I may go up to Switch #4. I've arrived at this setting to fulfill what I want in a solo acoustic venue setting. Remember, my direct-to-computer, Flat-EQ/No Effects demos will all sound better after user-desired EQ settings and then sent to a PA or acoustic amp and listening to the loudspeakers from 10' (3 meters) or more feet away. 2016 Martin D-18 with UltraTonic 3.2 Demo
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-18-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Here's a thread I've posted of my UltraTonic 3.2 installation in my 2016 Martin D-18. It was a journey through the DIP-switch settings until I settled on Switch #3. I may go up to Switch #4. I've arrived at this setting to fulfill what I want in a solo acoustic venue setting. Remember, my direct-to-computer, Flat-EQ/No Effects demos will all sound better after user-desired EQ settings and then sent to a PA or acoustic amp and listening to the loudspeakers from 10' (3 meters) or more feet away. 2016 Martin D-18 with UltraTonic 3.2 Demo
If I read it correctly you recorded those samples on DIP 6. I can hear just a little bit of quack (which surprised me). Having never used the UT3.2, would #3 or #4 provide less or more "quack", or am I misunderstanding the operation?
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-18-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Great info. So, no preamp necessary?
I consider every SBT needs a preamp to sound its best.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-18-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I consider every SBT needs a preamp to sound its best.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I've only had active PUs in my guitars.
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-18-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
If I read it correctly you recorded those samples on DIP 6. I can hear just a little bit of quack (which surprised me). Having never used the UT3.2, would #3 or #4 provide less or more "quack", or am I misunderstanding the operation?
Yes, but only on the first post. DIP-switches 3 and 4 bring more body resonance into the mix but with an increased chance of feedback. Please go here if you haven't already done so to hear the rig on DIP-switch setting#3: Ultra Tonic 3.2 Pickup in 2016 Martin D-18 Initial & Now More Demos
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-18-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yes, but only on the first post. DIP-switches 3 and 4 bring more body resonance into the mix but with an increased chance of feedback. Please go here if you haven't already done so to hear the rig on DIP-switch setting#3: Ultra Tonic 3.2 Pickup in 2016 Martin D-18 Initial & Now More Demos
Yes, I see what you mean. Interesting, I'm going to keep going down this rabbit hole for a while. :-)
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-18-2023, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have been a customer of James for a few years. I've owned a couple versions of the UltraTonic pickup and the K&K upgrade kits along with the ToneDexter version 1. I ordered the UltraTonic 3.2 some time ago planning to install in another guitar. That didn't work out, but it's all for the best. I ended up finding a very good fit for the UT3.2 - a Martin Super D with Guatemalan rosewood.

The pickup installation is very easy and straightforward if you have experience with K&K, and make or have your own jig. SpruceTop recommends using the 6 minute cure epoxy for installation, but I used superglue gel. I've had enough experience with it that I didn't need the glue mobility, but you'll need to make your own decision about that.

The sound is very K&K like. The gain is a bit lower, but that's to be expected. There's a lot going on in this passive circuit. I found the single strip sensor to sound better to my ears than the usual 3 discs. What's missing is some of the interference between the usual 3 discs that can make the K&K sound "interesting" or "natural" to some people. It can also sound muddy and weak on the high e. It depends on the installation and the guitar. Not so with the UT3.2. This sensor sounds really clean and natural to me. I would go as far as to say "faithful" to the instrument.

Feedback rejection is excellent. It's a world of difference between the K&K and the UT3.2. Testing at high volume direct into the amps, I could barely plug in the K&K equipped guitars before the feedback was howling. The UT3.2 was quiet. No feedback in my testing. Now, tone wise, I think you can take the anti-feedback bass cancellation too far with this pickup. And, indeed, I tried the recommended method of setting the dip switch. I found it sounded to sterile. In my guitar, perhaps because of how well the bass sensor works on this model, I only needed setting 12 or 11 to get feedback rejection along with a full sounding tone. "A little dab'll do ya."

The volume control with the cable tone switch works as advertised. Clever.

Now, to be totally objective, I will say that if you are using a pedal board with a unit like my LR Baggs Voice Print or the ToneDexter, I'm not sure the UT3.2 is needed because the pedal does all the feedback cancellation and tone shaping for you. James might argue that point and I'd be glad to hear his opinion. In fact, I would encourage him to respond to the tread if he feels comfortable.

All in all, another well designed product from James. Kudos!
Dave, I agree with you on the UltraTonic 3.2, it's a great-sounding system!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-19-2023, 02:11 AM

A very timely review, thank you David I am glad you like it. Because of the good feedback (pun intended) from members here I have installed this in a guitar I am building. Installation is super easy when the top is seperate from the back and sides.

The guitar is a Sitka over Rosewood dreadnought which should be complete in a couple more weeks. I will give my 2 cents about how the Ultra Tonic performs when all is said and done

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification