The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2023, 06:10 PM

Default Gigging the EV 30m

First time out of the house…..no set up issues at all. Assemble system was easily 30 seconds. Plug in guitar and mic. Turn on PA and phone app, eq the room and was done.
The sound was quite surprising. Very high ceiling so I came down on the bass settings. Covered this large room very well. I thought the tone was spot on. I could hear myself clearly in every range I have…..
Compare the the Bose Pro 16? Easily compared, although I am not going to say that it is better. The phone app makes it quite easy to dial in the sound you are wanting, which is a big plus…
Nice PA system is the bottom line……

Now, quit trying to make me by another PA 🤬
Old 03-18-2023, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

We've been gigging with our EV30M for several months now and love it. We played a new place on Friday and I bought my IRIS DF with a newly installed K&K Pure Mini. First time playing it live at a gig through the EV30M so I was concerned a bit about that. I brought along my little Headway EDM-1 just in case I ran into feedback or boominess with the large DF body. We started to play and right out of the gate I noticed a bit of boominess that might be an issue. After that song I just pulled up the mixer page for the guitar (app already running) and dialed back the low end a bit and instant perfection all around. Love, love, LOVE the EV30M and its built-in mixer and easy and intuitive app control.

I'm one of those guys that loves the 'Bose sound' but in all honesty seeing how I would need at least the T4 to get enough inputs, the EV30M was the right call for us. No brainer, really.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...I'm one of those guys that loves the 'Bose sound' but in all honesty seeing how I would need at least the T4 to get enough inputs, the EV30M was the right call for us. No brainer, really.
Same, exactly the same. If the 8 or 16 had such a full-featured app with a built-in mixer and that many inputs, I'd own one instead of my 30m. Which I love.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Same, exactly the same. If the 8 or 16 had such a full-featured app with a built-in mixer and that many inputs, I'd own one instead of my 30m. Which I love.
As a long time Bose Pro 8 user (solo acoustic singer gigs) - I have to agree!
I recently bought an Everse 8 and love the APP.
But the EV 8 is not going to take the place of the larger systems.

Question. Has anyone compared the sound of the 30m and Pro8?
Is there a clear winner? Soundwise, or are they pretty comparable.

Looking hard at the 30m!
Old 03-19-2023, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

Question. Has anyone compared the sound of the 30m and Pro8?
Is there a clear winner? Soundwise, or are they pretty comparable.

Looking hard at the 30m!
They are very comparable. I A/B'd them in a large music store. The Bose was (typically) very warm and pleasing to my ear (I'm a fan of the Bose 'coloring' of their sound) while the EV30M was more clean, clear and articulate. Both did an excellent job with sound dispersion with the subs and sticks separated. The Bose does throw a wider, full 180 degree high end with their physically articulated speakers in the pole while the EV30M uses 'soundwave guides' to disperse the sound.

For me it was a tight race. I love the sound tone, the dispersion and even the more sleek look of the Bose Pro 8 - including the longer, narrower sub with its 'racetrack' shaped sub speaker for easier carrying. On the other hand, I much preferred the built-in mixer and powerful and intuitive app on the EV30M. And the EV30M's sound is excellent as well. I bought an EV30M new for $1,099. A Bose Pro 8 plus a Bose T4s would cost me $1,998. Game, set, match - EV30M.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
They are very comparable. I A/B'd them in a large music store. The Bose was (typically) very warm and pleasing to my ear (I'm a fan of the Bose 'coloring' of their sound) while the EV30M was more clean, clear and articulate. Both did an excellent job with sound dispersion with the subs and sticks separated. The Bose does throw a wider, full 180 degree high end with their physically articulated speakers in the pole while the EV30M uses 'soundwave guides' to disperse the sound.

For me it was a tight race. I love the sound tone, the dispersion and even the more sleek look of the Bose Pro 8 - including the longer, narrower sub with its 'racetrack' shaped sub speaker for easier carrying. On the other hand, I much preferred the built-in mixer and powerful and intuitive app on the EV30M. And the EV30M's sound is excellent as well. I bought an EV30M new for $1,099. A Bose Pro 8 plus a Bose T4s would cost me $1,998. Game, set, match - EV30M.
Nice reply! I do like the "silky" sound of the Bose. Your take on EV being more clean, clear and articulate is similar to what I hear with my Everse as compared to S1 Pro.

What about weight? I have to lug my gear, up/down 2 flights of stairs. Seems the EV30m is a bit bulkier.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Nice reply! I do like the "silky" sound of the Bose. Your take on EV being more clean, clear and articulate is similar to what I hear with my Everse as compared to S1 Pro.

What about weight? I have to lug my gear, up/down 2 flights of stairs. Seems the EV30m is a bit bulkier.
I don't know the weight differences of the subs between the two (meaning I've never actually carried both). I think the EV30M sub is 34.9 pounds while the Bose Pro 8 sub is 30.9 pounds. So that combined with the more elongated and slimmer Bose Pro 8 sub would make carrying 'easier' than the EV30M sub although you could argue that the longer sub could make stairs more difficult unless you're really tall.

I've got a dodgy lower back and at 61-years-old and probably 50 pounds overweight I'm not exactly a picture of health but I can manage the EV30M sub fairly well but I also don't have to move it up and down two flights of stairs either! If I did, I'd surely look for something lighter. I'd probably go back to my two Bose S1 Pro's with a mixer or an EV8 with an EAE Gigmix 4!

I have had to lug it up and down a single flight of stairs in the winter months when we park in our garage which is under the house and I can say it is not pleasant. I also have a dodgy knee and I'm always waiting for my knee to just give out and send me (and the EV 30M sub) tumbling down the stairs!!

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-19-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't know the weight differences of the subs between the two (meaning I've never actually carried both). I think the EV30M sub is 34.9 pounds while the Bose Pro 8 sub is 30.9 pounds. So that combined with the more elongated and slimmer Bose Pro 8 sub would make carrying 'easier' than the EV30M sub although you could argue that the longer sub could make stairs more difficult unless you're really tall.

I've got a dodgy lower back and at 61-years-old and probably 50 pounds overweight I'm not exactly a picture of health but I can manage the EV30M sub fairly well but I also don't have to move it up and down two flights of stairs either! If I did, I'd surely look for something lighter. I'd probably go back to my two Bose S1 Pro's with a mixer or an EV8 with an EAE Gigmix 4!

I have had to lug it up and down a single flight of stairs in the winter months when we park in our garage which is under the house and I can say it is not pleasant. I also have a dodgy knee and I'm always waiting for my knee to just give out and send (and the EV 30M sub) tumbling down the stairs!!
Thanks for the additional info!

I hate say it, but the weight of the EV30 may be a deal break.

Since I can easily manage the Pro8 with one arm.
Just don't see being able to carry much more size/weight
and still be able to hold onto the stair's rail.

The Bose has "everything" except the built in mixer and app.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:20 PM

Because of the 180 degree dispersion Bose is known for less stage volume and less fatiguing sound. Save your ears!I believe EV has 120 degree throw? EV has your typical PA sound if that is your preference, Bose more smooth-Hi-fi. Bose is also know not to project loud volume to the front rows but throws sound evenly from close to far. Not sure if the EV30 with less dispersion has similar benefits??
Old 03-19-2023, 08:19 PM

I think the sound is fairly even. The thing about the tone that I wonder about is that with all the features in the EV 30M, I would think you can dial most any sound you Like.
I have been using mixers on all of the systems I have had. I have used some with no mixers just to hear, but almost always with a mixer. I think the issue is that the Bose usually sounds better (with no outboard gear) than any thing I have used. But if the PA is good quality to begin with and paired with a nice mixer it pretty much allows me to dial in whatever sound I need. Perhaps it’s not THAT simple, but if the capability is good enough then the sound should be able be adjusted to suit you. I do know that it can take some time to understand what sound you are hearing and how to change it without fiddling with the knobs overmuch. While I only have practical hands on mixing capabilities, eventually I got to the point that I understood how to find what I wanted…. and what I did not want in my sound. Yes, It used to be that all I knew was something did not sound right and would fool with knobs until it got better.

I guess that IMHO, it is the quality and capability of the system that perhaps we should be looking at instead of how it sounds during the test ride….
Old 03-20-2023, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

We have been playing a LOT of open mics as of late as it is our only outlet to play 'our music' (vs the oldies we play at assisted living places) and we have noticed that almost every one of them is using either a Bose tower system or an EV tower system. These systems have become very popular indeed.

As I noted here as well as in my initial EV30M bandwagon thread, the Bose system has that 'Bose sound' which is an enveloping warmth while the EV30/50 systems have more of a clean, clear and articulate sound similar to what you would get with a regular PA or powered speaker system (think QSC).

One thing that I have noticed is that while I do really like that warm and enveloping Bose sound, in noisy environments it gets lost pretty quickly in the din and then the volume really needs to be bumped up to cut through. At that point, that usually pleasing and enveloping warmth is lost quite a bit.

Conversely, the EV30/50M systems with their clean and clear articulation cut through these noisier venues and sound much better to my ear since I can clearly hear the nuances of the instruments and vocals at lesser (and greater) volumes. Also, the volume does not need to be as high to accomplish this.

So, just to throw another thought into the process of anyone considering these systems is to know the type of venues you will most likely play and what that background noise level will be. If you play generally quieter places (like we do at assisted living homes) then the Bose is excellent.

However, if you play pubs and those types of places then the EV30/50M might be a better call. Even though we do play those quieter venues almost exclusively and the Bose sound would be awesome, we still chose the EV30M for that built-in mixer and excellent app. Are you listening, Bose?!?
Old 03-20-2023, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I have and love my 50m. I play mostly smaller venues including wineries, breweries, etc. Sometimes folks are up pretty close. I have it EQ'd to take some of the "punch" down a notch in the speaker settings on the app (I also kill a little bass there). I've also found that the "Music" setting is a little softer than the "Live" setting. I've never had a complaint that I was too loud, and it sounds nice and full, even at low volume settings. Wider dispersion isn't really a perk for my venues as folks are mostly out in front.

As to transporting the system, the rolling cart is a godsend. I only have to lift it in and out of my car, and I can roll it everywhere else. Granted I don't have major stairs to maneuver, but I have done a few steps and I just "pull" the case up the steps with the handle extended. Also it's helpful to pile things on top of the rolling case when I move it. Yesterday I played a private party and loaded in and out down a long driveway. I put all my gear except for my guitar and mic stand (which my wife carried) on the cart, and moved it in one trip. Good thing as there was light rain!

Finally the app is a godsend for when I host open mics as it's easy to dial (most) folks in with their different rigs. And I can do that from anywhere in the room.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I have and love my 50m...
Curious about where you place your 50m.

Apart from the warm, enveloping sound that Methos describes, another feature of the Bose that Bill (wweiss) refers to is the ability to place the Bose sticks behind you with less chance of feedback and less brutal ear assault than other systems. Despite some skeptics it can be done, but I've noticed that most users who really pound the volume move them out front or at least parallel like your typical point-source PA.

I've never placed my 30m substantially behind me, yet, but that's mainly because at the venues I've played there's no room so I haven't had a chance to experiment. Has been basically parallel with my mic. Sound monitoring is adequate but I may add a monitor going forward.

Taking care of my ears is definitely a high priority.

(I have a gig next month at a prized local brewpub, and I'm weighing whether to use my old L1 M2. The floor plan is a fairly large L, and the stage is where the two lines of that L connect. The serving bar runs along the entire length of the short part of the L, and a fair part of the long one. Without the wide dispersion of the Bose, I'm not sure where to aim my 30m.)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:21 AM

I don’t have an EV 30 or 50 but have an Everse. The band I play in uses the Bose L1 16 or something like that. It’s a good sound but I personally will never buy a Bose product because the app side of the EV stuff is ridiculously useful. One thing I’ve found helpful is to cut the mids on the speaker like 3 decibels and it’s less in your face like the Bose. The EV I have really changes character when you apply more mids or scoop them. I appreciate the plug and play aspect of the Bose stuff but I like that I can control the system entirely through the App. I’ve never once had it glitch out. To me that’s the selling point.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Curious about where you place your 50m.

Apart from the warm, enveloping sound that Methos describes, another feature of the Bose that Bill (wweiss) refers to is the ability to place the Bose sticks behind you with less chance of feedback and less brutal ear assault than other systems. Despite some skeptics it can be done, but I've noticed that most users who really pound the volume move them out front or at least parallel like your typical point-source PA.

I've never placed my 30m substantially behind me, yet, but that's mainly because at the venues I've played there's no room so I haven't had a chance to experiment. Has been basically parallel with my mic. Sound monitoring is adequate but I may add a monitor going forward.

Taking care of my ears is definitely a high priority.

(I have a gig next month at a prized local brewpub, and I'm weighing whether to use my old L1 M2. The floor plan is a fairly large L, and the stage is where the two lines of that L connect. The serving bar runs along the entire length of the short part of the L, and a fair part of the long one. Without the wide dispersion of the Bose, I'm not sure where to aim my 30m.)
I typically place it a few feet to one side, and a couple of feet in front of me. Yesterday I had it about 4 feet to my right, and about a foot behind me due to the space I was playing (a backyard party). At one larger indoor venue I tried it maybe 8 feet behind me and about the same to my side and liked it. Never had a feedback problem. I did play one large outdoor venue and placed it farther to my side and a little out front and cranked it. I originally set up a monitor but nixed it as I could still hear myself fine without it. I guess I've just become accustomed to the sound I hear from the side throw of the Evolve and no extra monitor. No ear fatigue!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification