The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Gefell M950

My use for these mics isn't intended to be for recording my acoustic guitar, but I thought someone here might be familiar with the Gefell M950 (wide cardioid LDC). My initial thought for a pair of these mics would be for piano (piano for choir accompaniment and piano as part of a small classical ensemble).

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-15-2023, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Sorry no one has replied perhaps no one on this forum has actually used them , I haven't which is why I had not replied ..
I think in general Gefell makes decent product so I am guessing they would an adequate job.
I know some of the Gefell SDC's are highly regarded for acoustic guitar ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-15-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Their LDCs are quite good too although the brand, and the LDC mics in particular, seem to fly under the radar. I'd have no worries about buying those mics for that purpose.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-15-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sorry no one has replied perhaps no one on this forum has actually used them , I haven't which is why I had not replied ..
I think in general Gefell makes decent product so I am guessing they would an adequate job.
I wasn't really expecting much of any experience with the Gefell M950 on this forum, but I thought I may as well ask. I have a matched pair of Gefell omni, the M296S, which are more of a medium size capsule, and I am really pleased with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Their LDCs are quite good too although the brand, and the LDC mics in particular, seem to fly under the radar. I'd have no worries about buying those mics for that purpose.
The Gefell's are probably used more in field and classical recordings, but I agree that even there they are a bit under the radar.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have a matched pair of Gefell omni, the M296S, which are more of a medium size capsule, and I am really pleased with them.
You're a Gefell guy and there's not a single thing wrong with that.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-23-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Many prefer the "old Neumann" sound of Gefell microphones over the current Sennheiser Neumann microphone sound.

My Gefell microphones have proved reliable and they have never have needed service. It's worth noting that if you do need warranty service for a Gefell microphone you will need to send it to the factory in Germany. There is a Gefell representative in NYC who facilitates the process of shipping overseas. You ship the mic to the rep who takes it from there. Not a deal killer but something to consider.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Many prefer the "old Neumann" sound of Gefell microphones over the current Sennheiser Neumann microphone sound.

My Gefell microphones have proved reliable and they have never have needed service. It's worth noting that if you do need warranty service for a Gefell microphone you will need to send it to the factory in Germany. There is a Gefell representative in NYC who facilitates the process of shipping overseas. You ship the mic to the rep who takes it from there. Not a deal killer but something to consider.
Thanks for the information Al. Service is a consideration, and it's concerning as getting the mics serviced in Germany takes quite a long time. But, I have already taken that risk with the Gefell's I already own and I don't think it will prevent me from buying. On the positive side, at least they do service the products they sell.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information Al. Service is a consideration, and it's concerning as getting the mics serviced in Germany takes quite a long time. But, I have already taken that risk with the Gefell's I already own and I don't think it will prevent me from buying. On the positive side, at least they do service the products they sell.
A while back I mistakenly thought I had a mic problem and I wrote to Klaus Heyne to ask if he could work on a Gefell mic or recommend someone. He recommended the Gefell factory service and said it is first rate and reasonably priced.

Gefell was quick to respond to an email inquiry and they put me in touch with the New York office. Good friendly communication all around.

For what it's worth the noise problem in my home studio turned out to be a house wiring issue. Fixed that and then my recording chain quieted down. Problem solved

Last edited by Al Acuff; 03-23-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I love the Gefell M950. They have a wider pattern so you do need a decent sounding space to record in but you can also get them positioned closer to the guitar without the proximity effect a cardioid has.

About 90% of the acoustic guitar sound on this song is a pair of M950’s up close. Artist was playing a Taylor 200 series.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXb674Tt6k

-Mike
Old 04-03-2023, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
I love the Gefell M950. They have a wider pattern so you do need a decent sounding space to record in but you can also get them positioned closer to the guitar without the proximity effect a cardioid has.

About 90% of the acoustic guitar sound on this song is a pair of M950’s up close. Artist was playing a Taylor 200 series.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXb674Tt6k

-Mike
Thanks for the information Mike. It's also nice to hear the mics used on acoustic guitar.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the thread responses and PMs. I've been on the lookout for quite a while and I've given up trying to find a nice used pair. Ordered a new, matched stereo set of M950's from Gefell, which were in stock. Hopefully I'll put them to use in early May for recording a choir concert.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I will look forward to your evaluation on these Wide Cardiod Mics, Chuck.

Please try them out on Acoustic Guitar as well. There is a reasonable chance that they will work very well for 8 to 10 inch micing. The 950 has a slight high end bump. Often that works good for close micing, as it helps to balance out any proximity at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to all for the thread responses and PMs. I've been on the lookout for quite a while and I've given up trying to find a nice used pair. Ordered a new, matched stereo set of M950's from Gefell, which were in stock. Hopefully I'll put them to use in early May for recording a choir concert.
An excellent choice Chuck. The Gefell folks have always treated me very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD