The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-21-2023, 09:58 AM

Default Examples of studio recording "In Process"...

After seeing a few posts in the "Interesting mic choices and placement" topic it occurred to me how educational it is to watch some of the very nicely done Youtube videos of the recording process in action.

Here is an example from Jefferson Hamer:

There are obviously a never-ending number of these, but I'm wondering if anyone has a favorite example of the recording process, particularly the entire song.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

What is that SDC he is using on Guitar? It looks similar to a Neumann KM54, yet slightly different?
Old 02-21-2023, 02:09 PM

KM54 would be my guess judging from a pretty good view at 3:35 in the video. I don't know too many other SDCs that have the vertical front slots.
Neumann has some slight variants of the KM54 on their website documenting historic mics. There are 253 and 254 mics which have different connections at the rear supposedly for increased RF rejection.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-21-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:26 PM

KM54 is my guess, too. But tell me what he uses on vocals.

Great vid, thanks for posting. Jefferson Hamer is such an unknown treasure, isn't he ? Love his work !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 02-21-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
KM54 is my guess, too. But tell me what he uses on vocals.

Great vid, thanks for posting. Jefferson Hamer is such an unknown treasure, isn't he ? Love his work !
The closest thing I can think of is there are some "long stem" lollypop style capsules (M7 / M8?) that quick coupled to the original Neumann mic bodies. It looks like that might be a good possibility from the looks of the tube supply seen through the doorway.

I'm really grasping at straws on that, though.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-22-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:37 AM

nice tune, nice voice and I love an upright bass
Old 03-04-2023, 09:54 AM

Here's another "food for thought" studio video. The song and players don't even need to be mentioned, as that's pretty obvious.

The video was shot at OmniSound Studios in Nashville and the interesting part of this is the micing technique. Rory Rositas engineered and I'd previously watched an interview where he detailed the vertical spaced pair mic technique, stating that Tommy Emmanuel liked it well enough to do his last album using the vertical pair as the main mics for the mix. In the interview he elaborates on using a LDC further back as the center mic, but doesn't use much center mic in the mix. He uses center mics in the video, but how much would be unknown to me.

I am aware that the DPA Omnis with "acoustic pressure equalizer balls" are pricey, but the technique works for lower tier mics, too.

I've been playing around with a pair of small cardiod pattern condensers in this configuration and like it for several reasons. You end up with a pretty nice stereo field and the two channels don't have the wide variance in both tone and volume that the conventional spaced pair often exhibits. It's also easier to maintain proper orientation to the mics; small changes in the angle from a seated position don't change the overall sound by much.

It's something to consider for the home recordist.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-04-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Here's another "food for thought" studio video. The song and players don't even need to be mentioned, as that's pretty obvious.

The video was shot at OmniSound Studios in Nashville and the interesting part of this is the micing technique. Rory Rositas engineered and I'd previously watched an interview where he detailed the vertical spaced pair mic technique, stating that Tommy Emmanuel liked it well enough to do his last album using the vertical pair as the main mics for the mix. In the interview he elaborates on using a LDC further back as the center mic, but doesn't use much center mic in the mix. He uses center mics in the video, but how much would be unknown to me.

I am aware that the DPA Omnis with "acoustic pressure equalizer balls" are pricey, but the technique works for lower tier mics, too.

I've been playing around with a pair of small cardiod pattern condensers in this configuration and like it for several reasons. You end up with a pretty nice stereo field and the two channels don't have the wide variance in both tone and volume that the conventional spaced pair often exhibits. It's also easier to maintain proper orientation to the mics; small changes in the angle from a seated position don't change the overall sound by much.

It's something to consider for the home recordist.
That is an interesting technique I will try it on my next recording I seem to get a a small but noticeable variance in level ( not much in tone) and obviously more so the closer I position the mic's ---when using the typical horizontal spaced pair. But that has more to do with me shifing postion in small amounts left and right when playing standing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-05-2023 at 08:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD