The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2023, 05:18 PM

Default DPA4099 & ATM350GL "Strap-on" Mics with Stick Systems

I'm thinking I've found a solution with these specialty "strap-on"mics...

Can anyone comment on their effectiveness and functionality in terms of feedback and external noise in solo live-playing scenarios when using "stick" type PA systems (where the speakers are typically placed behind the performer)?

Thanks very much in advance!
Old 03-19-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
I'm thinking I've found a solution with these specialty "strap-on"mics...

Can anyone comment on their effectiveness and functionality in terms of feedback and external noise in solo live-playing scenarios when using "stick" type PA systems (where the speakers are typically placed behind the performer)?

Thanks very much in advance!
Only thing I can say is that I've read a couple different comments from users who said they weren't very solid and had guitar damage when they came loose.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:39 PM

Well if the PA is behind the performer and the mic is pointed at the guitar then it's also pretty much pointed at the PA. If you play loud, it's almost as likely to feedback as an external mic. The only potential gain is you could presumably position it closer to the guitar more consistently than an external mic.

I have a DPA 4099 and the mount is awful for live use and even for use in the recording studio... Pretty much renders the mic worthless to me.

I have a couple of ATM350s with the clip mount for a horn instead of the guitar mount. I would be willing to try the guitar mount, but as it is, the ATM 350s go inside the guitar, clipped onto a top brace. Holds to some braces better than others. Every 6 to 18 months I may have to reattach it... but inside the guitar, much less to worry about with feedback.... Might take some EQ though.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification