The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Cool skiffie Aspiring, Australian design? Do you play with the I-14 guys in the PNW?

I've raced A-Class catamarans since 2001, all carbon in the platform, rig, and foils. We started foiling 5 years ago, scary fun. Here's a pic of my latest boat with me sailing it in Key Largo just before a regatta.

The Swift looks like a handful with three sails, good fun! We also have a Weta trimaran. My wife sailed a Sunfish for awhile and hated it, we sold it and got the Weta. We sailed the Columbia River Gorge Regatta a few years ago doublehanding the boat. What a spectacular venue that was, windy as advertised.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
How did you get it to be a hovercraft?
Old 01-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
In the words of Snidely Whiplash: "Foiled again."
Old 01-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Well since you asked..............

The daggerboards ( the forward foils) actually curve in below the water and the foil section is cambered to produce lift. Angle of attack of both daggerboards is controlled via a worm gear and belt that is adjusted with a common control line. Positive lift raises the boat, negative lift pulls boat down. Each rudder has a cambered winglet on the bottom of the rudder blade and the rudder head can be tilted to change the rudder angle of attack. You don’t see it in this picture but there is now a gas cylinder attached to each rudder head that is tied into a control system that allows the sailor to set and adjust the amount of angle of attack of the rudders to produce either positive lift (i.e. the rudders want to lift the back end of the boat) or negative lift. The rudders provide both lift and pitch control of the platform while the daggerboard lift determines how high the boat “flies”.

This picture is in about 9-10 knots of wind and my boat speed is 18-20 knots.

Here’s a great video of the boats actually sailing by three of the best sailors in the world right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80uH1I3oMU

These three sailors are the helm (Peter Burling), wing control (Glenn Ashby), and foil control (Blair Tuke) for the Team New Zealand defense of the America’s Cup in the AC-75 75’ long foiling monohulls. Last week they clocked 100 km/hr with one of those beasts. Racing started a couple of weeks ago, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng3Aw7NGZ68

Again, sorry for the thread hijack but it is pretty cool and all of the boats above are +90% carbon fiber construction.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-15-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
I own two Rainsong guitars with the unilateral carbon that seems to give the guitar the tone of wood and the benefits of Carbon. Rainsong Concert and Hybrid systems have the look and sound that try's to mimic wood.

In the land of Guitars, the soundboard, the Top, is the most important part of the guitar it seems. Bracing matters, material matters, even down to the grain pattern matters and glues used. My ear can tell the difference.

But yet the trend is the Carbon world is let's just make it look pretty, put a thin piece of wood on their to make it pretty...which works against everything of conventional wisdom of making a good sounding guitar.

Shouldn't we be focusing on making a guitar that sounds better? Where is the experimenting with different weaves and grain patterns? The balancing between rigidity and movement? What about trying the make the top as thin as possible and adding carbon braces change the sound as you like. That could make a canon?

I just don't understand the Carbon Guitar world yet.
I just saw this post even though it was posted a few years ago. I’ve wondered the same thing as the original poster regarding the impact of top materials, decorative options, and wood veneers on the sound of a carbon fiber acoustic.

I have two Rainsong concert series guitars with unidirectional tops (CH-OM1000NS, Al Petteway Signature), one with a black ice top (25 Year Anniversary), and one with the classic weave (WS1000 Reissue). I think the unidirectional top has a “warmer” less bright sound than the black ice and classic top. It may even sound more “woody” Having said that, I really like the tone of my guitars with the black ice and classic weave top and I love the way they look too!

I’ve never played a carbon guitar with a wood veneer on the top and compared it to an identical guitar without the veneer. I’d be interested to hear if / how much of a difference the veneer makes to the acoustic sound.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I haven't taken the time to re-read this entire post so I'll just spit out my own biases. My Emeralds look great (to me) and also sound great (to me). Who says you can't have both in a CF guitar???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-X20-12-Pommelle-Bosse-Npu-7746-2.jpg (42.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 8498-Large-1026x1536.jpg (46.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg C-X20-Qm-VA-Ele-8401-1-1026x1536.jpg (56.3 KB, 67 views)
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-17-2023, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcarl View Post
I just saw this post even though it was posted a few years ago. I’ve wondered the same thing as the original poster regarding the impact of top materials, decorative options, and wood veneers on the sound of a carbon fiber acoustic.

I have two Rainsong concert series guitars with unidirectional tops (CH-OM1000NS, Al Petteway Signature), one with a black ice top (25 Year Anniversary), and one with the classic weave (WS1000 Reissue). I think the unidirectional top has a “warmer” less bright sound than the black ice and classic top. It may even sound more “woody” Having said that, I really like the tone of my guitars with the black ice and classic weave top and I love the way they look too!

I’ve never played a carbon guitar with a wood veneer on the top and compared it to an identical guitar without the veneer. I’d be interested to hear if / how much of a difference the veneer makes to the acoustic sound.
I've owned a lot of carbon fiber guitars over the years and still own two RainSongs. On the RainSong Vintage line (the ones with the thin piece of genuine spruce) the addition of the wood makes the guitar even warmer (and a little quieter) than the unidirectional top models. I own a Black Ice dread that is loud and bright and a Nashville OM Shorty that is very warm.

In the Emerald line, the thin wood veneers are more for decoration (and they are gorgeous!) and do not impart much if any tonal qualities. Much of this is due to the Emerald guitars already being a fairly warm guitar as carbon fiber goes to begin with. I owned 5 Emeralds, 4 with the wood veneer tops and one plain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber