The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-07-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...Inexpensive guitars these days, whether purchased and played as is, or finessed and fettled with endlessly, or even inexpensive scratch-built Frankenstein creations are fun guitars all day long. No excuses necessary. Beginner players today have no clue what a golden age of guitars we are living in...
The price/performance ratio for electric guitars has gone through the roof over the last 50 years, starting with the '70s "lawsuit" models that had the big names reaching for the Maalox (and Imodium... ) down to today's low-price/high-value offerings from Gretsch, Squier, Ibanez, Godin, et al.; since the late-70's I haven't spent more than $1K (brand-new with case) on any of my workhorse gigging guitars, with three well under $500 - no mods, just a good pro setup if necessary - and I've never felt undergunned in any situation. BTW same goes for amps, if you know how to shop around: my first electric setup (Gretsch 6117 Double Annie and top-panel/no 'verb Ampeg Rocket 1x12") from 1964 would cost ~$2500 in today's money - my current '16 Gretsch 3-PU 5622 and "blue-light" Bugera V22 1x12" go-to rig cost me about half that...
Old 11-07-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
……… I said “I’m looking for a cheap phone”.
He bristled, visibly, and replied “I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t have any cheap phones. If you’re perhaps looking for something inexpensive, I can help you”.
He must have worked at Mr. Lane’s Floor Coverings earlier in his career is all I can say to that, David! 😹😂😹

frank d.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
When I bought my first guitar with my own money that I saved from caddying the local golf course it was the early 70's. I bought a 1959 Fender Musicmaster, and a Danelectro Cadet 6 watt 6" speaker amp. I paid $450
which in today's money is is about $2700. Think of the rig I could buy now with that same money. A Squier Classic 50's Tele and a Bugera V22 would cost me $918 and tax (free shipping). And I could be out gigging with it the next day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
……..since the late-70's I haven't spent more than $1K (brand-new with case) on any of my workhorse gigging guitars, with three well under $500 - no mods, just a good pro setup if necessary - and I've never felt undergunned in any situation. BTW same goes for amps, if you know how to shop around: my first electric setup (Gretsch 6117 Double Annie and top-panel/no 'verb Ampeg Rocket 1x12") from 1964 would cost ~$2500 in today's money - my current '16 Gretsch 3-PU 5622 and "blue-light" Bugera V22 1x12" go-to rig cost me about half that...
You two boys are riding along on the same exact wave-length, and I am in total agreement with you both. The entry level to $500 electrics are so ultra competitive these days, any builder in that price point has to do it better than ever just to be considered as a viable option.

Amplifiers, just dollars above the entry level, either tube or digital modeling, and even hybrid mixes of both tube and digital are everywhere and competent for any need or venue. Bedroom to bar to stage, there are options at every price point to deliver the goods.

We are truly living in heady times when it comes to electric guitars and gear.

frank d.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
You two boys are riding along on the same exact wave-length, and I am in total agreement with you both. The entry level to $500 electrics are so ultra competitive these days, any builder in that price point has to do it better than ever just to be considered as a viable option.

Amplifiers, just dollars above the entry level, either tube or digital modeling, and even hybrid mixes of both tube and digital are everywhere and competent for any need or venue. Bedroom to bar to stage, there are options at every price point to deliver the goods.

We are truly living in heady times when it comes to electric guitars and gear...
Here's a related thread-in-progress from a fellow Electric forumite that you guys might want to chime in on (I've already added my tuppence worth):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=657915
Old 11-08-2022, 12:31 PM

I've got two Squier Classic Vibe Teles (2010 CV Custom and 2009 CV50's), and I probably play them more than my more expensive ones... They are that good.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I've got two Squier Classic Vibe Teles (2010 CV Custom and 2009 CV50's), and I probably play them more than my more expensive ones... They are that good.
So, were the neck differences (radius, gloss vs. satin finish on the back) not a big deal when it came to playability for the CV vs. the Fenders in your opinion?
Old 11-08-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The idea of a hierarchy of electric guitars' musical product being highly coordinated with price just doesn't jibe with my experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's some value in some high priced particularly well-made custom instruments, and wonderful sounds are made with >$2000 electric guitars.

But.

I think one can produce just as interesting and valid sounds with lower priced electric guitars, particularly with the Fender and Dan Electro designs shown as examples up thread. Both Nat Daniel and Leo Fender aimed to make lower priced instruments that were not dependent on extensive hand craftmanship or expensive or rare materials.

PRS is the worst (best? Depending on your perspective) at their guitar hierarchy. Things are simple with the SE line. They’re made overseas and range anywhere from $600-1300 for some of their Artist signature models. Flamed or quilted tops are veneers.

Now the real hierarchy begins with their USA made models. Starting with the S2 line, these guitars are usually solid colors and minimal “S2” carving. No flames or quilted tops, maple capped ones may have figured veneer. Hardware is usually the same as their core models. Pickups can either be the same Korean made from the lower SE line, or name-brand, or even in house made like 85/15. Things like inlays are dots or solid white birds. They can look cheaper than some SE’s at first glance. Price range is from around $1200 to just under $2000.

The CE line is the “almost core but not quite” tier. A bit more attention to detail, quilted/figured tops, nice binding, and at first glance, they look just like cores. They cost anywhere from $2300 to $2800. You’re pretty much in used core territory by now. Oh and that $2800 guitar comes with a gig bag. Ain’t that great?

So now there’s the core. You made it, their top line. Or is it? Nope! There’s tiers to the core too! There’s the “basic” core. Nothing basic about it. You get the beautiful inlays, beautiful quilted top, in house pickups, or Duncan’s depending on model, and finally a hard case! But come on, we are at over $3000 here, it better come with a hard case! Then there’s the 10 top. PRS’ little marketing scheme to make you shell out an extra $1000+ because it has a little 10 drawn on the top right rear of the headstock. It supposedly indicates it has a very select maple top. Don’t be fooled, a non 10 top core have beautiful figured tops as well, can’t tell them apart most of the time. And then there’s the wood library. Again another marketing scheme because of the wood used. You’re now at $5500 to $7000 range, and yet you’re not not their very top yet. And then there’s the holy grail, the Private Stock. Probably not much difference in wood as the wood library, but these get the full custom shop attention. You’re in the 5 digits now.

Love and hate PRS for this. I’ve owned a S2, a SE and a core. The SE is the one that still remains with me. The USA made ones didn’t play as well. Imagine that.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:

They look showroom fresh!
The double bound bodies bring the finish over the top. They are two very sharp looking Telecasters!

frank d.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
So, were the neck differences (radius, gloss vs. satin finish on the back) not a big deal when it came to playability for the CV vs. the Fenders in your opinion?
Both my CV's have somewhat thinner necks - common on these - but I have no problem with the slimmer neck profiles myself. (YMMV, of course.) The CV Custom's neck radius is slightly thinner than the CV50's.

Both necks are gloss finish.

My Fenders do have slightly larger necks than the Classic Vibes, but I'm not one to quibble too much on neck size. I have pretty much all neck sizes in my stable.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
They look showroom fresh!
The double bound bodies bring the finish over the top. They are two very sharp looking Telecasters!

frank d.
Thanks! Yes, they still look pretty clean.

I did swap out the original body on the CV50's Tele for a lightweight GFS Daphne Blue double bound paulownia body - as that original CV50's Tele weighed almost 10 lbs!

Old 11-08-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Both my CV's have somewhat thinner necks - common on these - but I have no problem with the slimmer neck profiles myself. (YMMV, of course.) The CV Custom's neck radius is slightly thinner than the CV50's.

Both necks are gloss finish.

My Fenders do have slightly larger necks than the Classic Vibes, but I'm not one to quibble too much on neck size. I have pretty much all neck sizes in my stable.
Glad you like your CV. So tempting. I'm going to be debating for a few more weeks whether or not I want to pay the extra few hundred dollars for a Player that's lighter, got a bigger neck, and got a satin finish on the neck.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Glad you like your CV. So tempting. I'm going to be debating for a few more weeks whether or not I want to pay the extra few hundred dollars for a Player that's lighter, got a bigger neck, and got a satin finish on the neck.
Yeah, that's a conundrum, but I'm thinking you can't go wrong with either choice.

Good luck! Let us know which one you chose.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up this USED, but "minty" condition Squier Affinity Jazzmaster last week and can't put it down - it's that good......through my '69 Original Fender Princeton its killer......just a little over $200 clams....don't think I'll be shopping for any high end electrics anytime soon...

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 11-26-2022, 03:24 PM

I dont know how many hundreds of gigs I played in the 90's with this Epi, run through a 2x12 Marshall Valvestate combo. Both were purchased used and my entire rig was worth less than $1000. By the early 2000's I'd upgraded, but that rig was bullet proof and sounded better than it had any right to.

Scan_20201203 (5) by , on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars