The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-08-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Kentucky Derby

What an amazing race by Rich Strike. 80 to 1 odds, came from way back, jockey guided him through a lot of horses perfectly while letting him maintain his stride. On the close up of the home stretch as he is coming up on the inside, you can see his head cocked to the right looking at the two horses in front of him, then he turns his head straight and passes them. He came on so fast the race announcer didn't even seem to see him until he was even and passing the other two.

It has been a long time since I have seen a race like that.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Exciting indeed. I watched the video about 10 times to really track the horse's path through the pack. That's one smart and daring jockey!
Old 05-08-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Exciting indeed. I watched the video about 10 times to really track the horse's path through the pack. That's one smart and daring jockey!
Jockey did a great job along the last turn and the homestretch finding him a path! He was in 18th place at the first turn coming from the far starting gate and along the back stretch, really amazing.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I was there yesterday- what a fun atmosphere. The entire day was a blast, and the race was really fun. The crowd went silent as nobody had bet on that horse!
Old 05-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGT View Post
I was there yesterday- what a fun atmosphere. The entire day was a blast, and the race was really fun. The crowd went silent as nobody had bet on that horse!
Oh man, I bet you had a blast, definitely a bucket list item for me. Sadly, I probably would have put money on that horse as I always do a ten to win on the long shot!
Old 05-09-2022, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

truly amazing race!!! I havent seen anything like that for a looong time, flashbacks of Big Red (although this was only 1 race...what a race) from the back to front for a horse bought as a $30k claim. was some riled up even after the race trying to bite the other horses guiding him. have watched it a few times over and over..very inspirational watching a comeback like that!

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 05-09-2022, 04:55 AM

How's the Blanton's this year?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-09-2022, 05:32 AM

Unreal.

I watched it, watch almost every year, Ky. is out my window across the river.

That horse was pulling hard and the fastest on the track.

I bet the odds aren't 80-1 next time he runs.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-09-2022, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

My son, who probably had an extra mint julep, bet on the winning horse at 80-1. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!
Old 05-09-2022, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Having bread/trained Thoroughbred horses my wife and I were thrilled that a new trainer and 80-1 horse won.

The ride was indeed brilliant... it is always an interesting mix exact science coupled with total feel for what what your horse is capable of..Keeping the pace and knowing exactly when to push (based on your horses total available steam) to get to the front at the finish just at the limit of your horses endurance and speed..
Just a great day for horse racing..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I love it when a long shot wins. Best Kentucky Derby I've ever watched!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I have never seen a boisterous crowd go absolutely silent as it did on Saturday. Everyone was stunned, and nobody had bet on the winning horse.
Really a fun day and a great race.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Amazing race. Even more so that Rich Strike had just been entered on Friday because of a scratch by the regular entry!
I wonder what the Preakness will bring.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-09-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
truly amazing race!!! I havent seen anything like that for a looong time, flashbacks of Big Red (although this was only 1 race...what a race) from the back to front for a horse bought as a $30k claim. was some riled up even after the race trying to bite the other horses guiding him. have watched it a few times over and over..very inspirational watching a comeback like that!
My mind went right there too with the red horse coming from nowhere and streaking for the win. Big Red was 3 wide on the turn, this guy was snaking his way down the inside. Both were near last at the first turn.

I still love it when you watch closely, he is looking directly at the two in front when he is coming at them, then his head turns straight down the track and he blows by them. It was like he was sayin, I am coming for you, whoops, goodbye!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:41 AM

Amazing is the word for it, for sure.
For me, it was just a tad spooky, as well. I was out on our patio, tracking down some ornery caterpillars that have been chewing on the leaves of our potted begonias, when my wife sticks her head out the door and tells me the Kentucky Derby's about to start if I'm interested. So I wash my hands off and go up to watch, having seen and heard absolutely none of the lead-in info about a scratch and a last-minute entrant. But as I sit down, the camera is finishing up the parade of entrants and doing a pan across the gates...and I focus in on the end, where I see 18, 19 and...wait, 21? What? Get a kind of prickly feel on the back of my neck. But then I'm distracted because one of the earlier-numbered horses has to be calmed and put back into the starting block. Then the start.

And O my stars, the race!

And when I saw the ending, with the "21" on the horse passing the others, I got that darn prickle again!

So here's a question: after the race, when they were having such a hard time getting Rich Strike to calm down, did it flash through anyone else's mind that someone might claim doping should be checked for? Or am I the only Doubting Dirk here? I know horses are often high-strung following a race, but the whole nipping incessantly at the guide pony seemed kinda weird.

This morning, heard a brief interview with Rich Strike's trainer who talked about his horse's strength in coming from behind and getting faster on longer races. Since the Preakness is 9.5 furlongs vs. the Derby's 10 furlongs, that might factor into the next race. We'll see. But if he's right, the 12-furlong Belmont could be tailor-made for another Rich Strike win.

In any case, this is one Derby I'm glad my wife reminded me to watch!

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic