The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-28-2022, 07:21 PM

Default I only know 1 Key, and I'm okay with it.

I used to play speed metal band, that used mainly one key, and it worked remarkably! Now that I play mainly acoustic country music, every gig (so many the last 4 years), has ONLY used the key of G🤷🏼 Anyone else only know one and are cool with it.. ?
Yamaha A3M
Yamaha FG720s
Yamaha NTX
Yamaha A1M
Yamaha A1R
Martin DM
Old 02-28-2022, 07:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

In one of her concert videos Amy Grant announced a particular song as being an older one of hers. She said you could tell it was one of those early songs because, when she got started, she wrote all her songs in D.

I find G to be a great key for fingerstyle if you don't want to work in multiple tunings. You can give your concerts variety by capoing up two or three frets on some songs to change the tonality and voice of the guitar a bit.

But I do play in several.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2022, 07:33 PM

Arg.... it really kills my ears (and my brain) to listen to a gig all played in the same key. Something to do with relaxing always to the same note. After having played a couple of tunes in the key of G major, it is time for a song in B flat!

Ll.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:38 PM

Hey, it worked for Joseph Spence, who only played in the key of D in dropped-D tuning. When asked about all the other keys, he apparently replied that he got tired of them! Something like that.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
After having played a couple of tunes in the key of G major, it is time for a song in B flat!

Ll.
Of all ones to choose - why Bb? Is the age of the concert band finally coming back to replace rock & country?
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:54 PM

Buy a capo and you are gold!
Old 02-28-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDave View Post
Of all ones to choose - why Bb? Is the age of the concert band finally coming back to replace rock & country?
It's a common key (in jazz) with enough distance from G major.

Ll.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:01 PM

When I finally decided to educate myself out of the hobbyist's void (approximately 5 years ago), I couldn't have even told you what a 'key' is. At that point I had been playing for approximately 14 years. I was pretty good at guitar but I knew nothing about music.

If you know one key, it's really, really easy to know all of the keys even if you don't immediately know their names.

I-ii-iii-IV-IV-vi-vii°

Every key has 7 chords that 'fit', and they're derived from the major scale formula. Upper case Roman numerals above represent major chords, lower case represent minor chords (° represents a diminished chord, similar to minor).

Minor keys follow the same exact pattern, but they start on the sixth chord (vi)

vi-vii°-I-ii-iii-IV-V

If you know your barre chords, play a major/minor chord with the root note at the respective position on the fretboard. You can move that 6-note shape anywhere on the fretboard, and voila, you're playing in any key of your choosing.

It doesn't matter if you're playing in C Major, G major, Eb Major, or even minor keys (if you understand the relative minor's relation to the the parent major key). The pattern of major/minor is always the same no matter what the root chord is, and changing key is astonishingly simple if you can learn to look at your fretboard with specific patterns in mind.

Moral of the story, don't limit yourself to one key. Try to maintain the inspiration to better understand your instrument, even if it takes 14 years to get over the first initial hump

Last edited by ascotia; 02-28-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:30 PM

Man, this thread got moved out of the GD forum, thought I may be able to help some folks with my little mini lesson
Old 02-28-2022, 08:37 PM

1) There's a lifetime's worth of great tunes in G.

2) Irving Berlin could only play in the key of C#. He used a transposing piano to arrange his songs.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Arg.... it really kills my ears (and my brain) to listen to a gig all played in the same key. Something to do with relaxing always to the same note. After having played a couple of tunes in the key of G major, it is time for a song in B flat!

Ll.
G. Capo 3

Bb.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:27 PM

"Thank God for capos, or all these songs would be in G..."

John Prine
Old 02-28-2022, 10:41 PM

For most rock, folk, blues, bluegrass, pop, country, regardless of key you (typically) only use the I, IV, V and vi chords. In G that would be G, C, D and Em. To expand your knowledge to include another key only requires two more chords. For example C uses C, F, G and Am. Only added the F and Am. Or key of D - D, G, A, Bm.

Minor keys are typically easier, using just the i, iv and V. Am - Am, Dm, E. Em - Em, Am, B. And so on.

It's harder, IMO, to stay ignorant of additional keys than it is just to learn them.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a common key (in jazz) with enough distance from G major.

Ll.
Isn’t the reason being that brass and woodwind instruments are commonly ‘tuned’ to Bb - i.e. if no valves/keys are pressed they play Bb? Might be wrong, but I’m sure I learned that in music lessons back in my schooldays 60 years ago…

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-01-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Isn’t the reason being that brass and woodwind instruments are commonly ‘tuned’ to Bb - i.e. if no valves/keys are pressed they play Bb? Might be wrong, but I’m sure I learned that in music lessons back in my schooldays 60 years ago…
It's even loopier than that. A Bb brass instrument reads a C note and plays it and we all hear Bb. They play an F and we all hear an Eb. They play in the easier keys of C and F and we have to play in Bb and Eb to accompany them.

As to the original point, we all play music to give and/or receive pleasure. If you are doing that it's all good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
country, g major, key, key of g