The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-18-2022, 01:56 PM

Default Crosspicking question

So as I understand it crosspicking is typically done across three strings in a three beat fashion, down-down-up. So it you were doing a roll across the top three strings then you would pick them 3-2-1.

Is it ever done in a four beat fashion? Maybe down-down-up-up, hitting the strings 3-2-1-2?
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-18-2022, 03:07 PM

Trying to define these words is always like opening a can of worms. People want to be very, very specific about what "fingerstyle" or "flatpicking" or "fingerpicking" or "crosspicking" mean except no two people have the SAME very, very specific meaning...

But I'll take a shot at it. I do not think it's useful to try to use a general term like "crosspicking" to mean just a single three-note roll. The three-string pattern you describe would probably be called "crosspicking" by a lot of people but the term is more useful if you keep it general to describe all the different three-string, four-string or even five-string patterns that involve the pick changing strings and/or changing direction is various combinations.

My daily right-hand warmup involves picking three adjacent strings, not necessarily the top three (I mix it up each day) but the pattern I start with is two bars of

down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up

and if I'm using the top three strings I'd do it

3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2
1-3-2-1-3-2-1-2

then I repeat that about 10 times very slowly (74 1/4 notes per minute on the metronome) then a few times faster (74 1/8 notes per minute).

That's crosspicking, it's a fairly commonly heard three-string DUDU roll in 4/4 time. But then in my warmup I often move on to doing the same pattern across three non-adjacent strings. Maybe 5-4-2-5-4-2-etc. or whatever I happen to choose. That's crosspicking. Then I'll do a four-string pattern, still DUDU. Also crosspicking.

But for playing music, my own personal choice is to stay 99% of the time with Down on the downbeats and Up on the offbeats and if there are 1/16th note runs I'll alternate DUDU on them. I use those downs and ups no matter what strings are involved. When playing a given tune I might have a phrase that involves strings 5-2-5-4-5-3-2-1 or almost any other combination you might imagine. Whatever the tune calls when when played at a certain position on the neck. That's the most general form of "crosspicking" when you choose a pattern of downs and up (that produces the swing or rhythmic feel you like) and then you make sure to clear the strings after each note so you can move between strings at will, no matter what string crossing happens to fall on a down or up.

Some people strongly prefer a DDU DDU pattern whenever possible (because it has a feel like certain classic bluegrass recordings) and some people alternate strictly without regard for 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 notes, dotted figures, etc. All whatever feels good and sounds good to you. It's all crosspicking.

I believe the origin of the term, or at least how I first heard it, was for mandolin players like Jesse McReynolds copping the usual bluegrass banjo rolls and adapting them to mandolin. From there it evolved on guitar and mandolin into a whole universe of patterns, styles and sounds.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-19-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I'm amazed at you guys that do this type of picking. I can't do it in the way you do. I get frustrated concentrating and can't stay at it. When I pick single strings out of a chord, I pick the ones that I want to hear at the moment. And I pick up or down depending one where the pick is at and what I want to hear next. But I'm an old hillside guitar picker.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Check out the Radiohead lesson from Carl Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
So as I understand it crosspicking is typically done across three strings in a three beat fashion, down-down-up. So it you were doing a roll across the top three strings then you would pick them 3-2-1.

Is it ever done in a four beat fashion? Maybe down-down-up-up, hitting the strings 3-2-1-2?
If I understand the question… “Street Spirit (fade out)” by Radiohead is crosspicked throughout and I’m pretty sure it’s a 4 count.
I like to play this tune for a few measures, or a few minutes as a warm up.
I found the lesson on GuitarLessons365.com
Old 03-19-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I DDU triplets when classic cross picking. And DUDU if covering a four string pattern. I'm not sure if that's "cross picking" or just bog standard flat picking, it seems to depend on who is talking.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Go to Flatpick.com and pick up the issue all about crosspicking:

They also have a compilation of articles dedicated to the subject:

D
Old 03-19-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post

D
Thanks, I might just grab that book.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:

D
I have the (PDF) Big Book of Crosspicking. In his introductory section Dan Miller concentrates on the most basic and in my opinion narrow definition of "crosspicking" but you've got to start somewhere and it's an excellent introduction.

By the time you get to the Home Sweet Home arrangement on page 14, you'll have a good idea of what a few basic roll techniques feel and sound like in the context of familiar tunes. I love that Home Sweet Home arrangement and play it all the time (actually I play it slightly simplified in a couple of spots and with one variation in the chord shapes so not strictly according to the tab).

If you enjoy the early etudes and the first couple tunes up through page 14 you'll have a good idea that crosspicking is something you want to pursue learning for the next, oh I don't know, rest your life?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-23-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:

D

I ordered the hardcopy, and they included the PDF digital download with MP3 audio files for free.

Mighty nice of ‘em.

This is the third order I placed from flatpick.com, and will likely be far from the last. There a real hidden gym. I don’t know why they’re not more popular.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:32 AM

And a little nosing around on that site brings up this:

I'll probably be grabbing hat at some point, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write