The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Pro beginner's question

I am a Guitar Pro neophyte, and I have just installed GP 7.5.

I would like to have an easy way to quickly insert into the current file a single bar of TAB that I have previously saved.

The idea is that I would save lots of single TAB bars of just the thumb beats (nothing on the treble strings) of Travis-style chords in common (mostly open) positions, e.g. strings 6-4-5-4 of an open E, then somehow be easily able to select any given saved bar and insert it wherever I need to in the current file, after which I could then add the treble / melody notes to the bar.

I assume that one way to do this is to just create one big file of all of the different bars that I might need, and keep it open along-side the file that I am creating at the time (assuming you can have more than one file open at a time), and copy-and-paste whatever bars I need into the file that I am creating.

Does anyone have a better way to do this?

Might this save time and potential errors?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2019, 03:37 AM

An interesting question... Kind of like using code snippets while developing. I used to use these all of the time!

If the song(s) you are working on have a similar basis then you could use the file as a template and use "Save As", but this is not what you are asking...

Wracking my brain I don't think that there is (I will have to look when I am back to my computer). You might try some type of cut & paste tool (outside of Guitar Pro) to manage snippets.

Best of luck, I will be interested to see if someone has a more elegant solution.

Various stringed instruments
Old 12-23-2019, 08:45 PM

Steve, I think you are on the right track for storing snippets. Yes, you can have many files open concurrently in GP7.

You should make sure both files have the same time signature, clef (like G2), and guitar tuning. Mixing standard tuning and drop D could be 'odd' sounding.

One way many folks enter music into GP with multiple voices is to use the 'voice' features in GP. This way the bass 'voice' has stems pointing down, melody up. Notes and rests can be different for each voice on the staff. Up to four voices.

If you use the 'voices' features, you will need to follow some convention, like always put the bass in voice 1, and melody in voice 2.

Remember to use 'special paste' if you have other information in the measure brought over, like chords, automations, timers, texts, whatevers.

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, both, for your responses.

I'm having trouble getting to grips with even the most basic GP functions right now, so I've decided to put a pin in this idea for now

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write