The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-10-2021, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default New Bass Day

Just traded in some gear at GC and picked up this new American Performer P bass. I recently have been more into playing bass and this one just sounds fabulous. It's a P bass, but as you can see, it's actually a P/J combo. I am going to also post a pic with my new Stingray Ray 34H.20210410_203057.jpg20210410_203127.jpg
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Sweet, BD... congrats!
Old 04-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Kerbie!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:06 PM

As I recall the P/J bass was developed by NYC studio players in the early-1970's as a best-of-both-worlds instrument, blending the punch and warmth of a split-PU Precision with the cutting power of the J-Bass, in the more compact P-Bass package - I used to see some of the early P/J conversions (several unfortunately done on what would become highly-collectible late-50's/early-60's instruments ) for sale as their owners made the move to then-novel boutique basses. Personally, in the interest of stylistic versatility I wouldn't have another single-pickup bass: I (very) briefly owned an early-70's P-Bass, as well as a '67 Epiphone Rivoli, and after making the move to my first P/J instrument (in fact an MIJ Ibanez Roadstar II I eventually traded on a Pedulla P/J) in the mid-80's I never looked back...

Since you're using the MM for the funky stuff, I'd set up the P/J for more versatile/more classic tones - flatwound or half-round strings (possibly in a heavier gauge), a lower action for straight fingerstyle rather than slap-&-pop - and a traditional 1x15"/no-tweeter combo or head/cab would be a perfect complement...

Use it well and often...
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!!
I wanted to buy that bass in the same color scheme last week but it was out of stock.
That Lake Placid Blue with the maple neck is just great.
I bought a used natural Sandberg California with MM/J pickups instead. But there will be a P bass or P/J bass in my life someday. :-)
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 04-11-2021, 12:46 AM

Very nice.
There's plenty of room for good bass guitars and acoustics!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-11-2021, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I should add a Jazz Bass pickup to this:

'72 or '73 Precision Bass w/Rickenbacker neck pickup. Actually, now a Classic Amplification Rickenbacker pickup when the original failed. Roundwound strings. Used to be setup for stereo output but converted back to single output. Switch to select either pickup or blend, separate tone pots for each pickup.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 04-11-2021, 07:28 AM

I’ve played Jazz Basses for as long as I can remember. Pic is ‘74 in Olympic white. I’ve had P-Basses and the necks are a bit wide. I had a ‘66 P-Bass that was great. I run the neck PU wide open and back off the bridge slightly and that’s my sound. I have a Marshall 300 watt solid state head (traded one of the P-Basses for it) and 2 Ampeg cabinets. 4 10’s and a horn and an 18” in the other. The breeze on your legs from the 18” is cool to feel.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:22 AM

Sweet! It has that Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) vibe to it.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As I recall the P/J bass was developed by NYC studio players in the early-1970's as a best-of-both-worlds instrument, blending the punch and warmth of a split-PU Precision with the cutting power of the J-Bass, in the more compact P-Bass package - I used to see some of the early P/J conversions (several unfortunately done on what would become highly-collectible late-50's/early-60's instruments ) for sale as their owners made the move to then-novel boutique basses. Personally, in the interest of stylistic versatility I wouldn't have another single-pickup bass: I (very) briefly owned an early-70's P-Bass, as well as a '67 Epiphone Rivoli, and after making the move to my first P/J instrument (in fact an MIJ Ibanez Roadstar II I eventually traded on a Pedulla P/J) in the mid-80's I never looked back...

Since you're using the MM for the funky stuff, I'd set up the P/J for more versatile/more classic tones - flatwound or half-round strings (possibly in a heavier gauge), a lower action for straight fingerstyle rather than slap-&-pop - and a traditional 1x15"/no-tweeter combo or head/cab would be a perfect complement...

Use it well and often...
My other bass, which isn't pictured, is a Gretsch 4 string hollow body. I have it set up with flats and can get a very mellow, airy tone. I think the P bass now kind of sits in the middle between the two.2518002515_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars