The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Default Your favorite field recorder for your instruments and why

The only one I’ve ever had was the Zoom H2n and I liked it pretty well . I’m leaning toward another Zoom product because I like their stuff but thought I’d seek the opinions of the wise first.

Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2021, 03:01 PM

I have the Zoom H4n and love it. I've used it a ton, for remote recording electric bass (straight in while tracking to a pre-recorded acoustic guitar on another channel), to grand piano, to whole choirs.

For the price, it's crazy useful.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:38 AM

I have a few different recorders for various uses. My small "field recorder" is a Tascam DR-05 which is small enough to carry in a shirt pocket, sounds good, and is very solid and well built.

I had the Zoom equivalent, the H1, prior to purchasing the DR-05 and disliked it. It felt cheap and had controls on the sides which were extremely difficult to use. Owner feedback for the original H1 must have been bad, as they re-designed it to make it much more user-friendly.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Your favorite field recorder for your instruments and why

I kind of love my MixerFace R4. It's small like a Zoom recorder but the sound quality is much better, like the Sound Devices stuff. This is important for me because I like to mic from a little distance (for a natural sound) with dynamic mics (for room rejection). I also have a Zoom H6, but I have to use a FetHead to get clean gain with that recorder.

Last edited by lkingston; 04-07-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My small "field recorder" is a Tascam DR-05....
Same here. It works.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 AM

I have the ZOOM H2 and H4n pro.

I love both. H2 for simplicity, H4n pro for combo jacks (exerfect for making acoutic guitar IRs).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-07-2021, 11:55 AM

My only field recorder is a Tascam DR-40. I like it for its versatility.
Such as using either internal or external mics. I'm not saying its be all end all.
But, I do have other Tascam/Teac products, so it was a maker that I was comfortable with. Also, living close to their western head quarters, I"ve been able to get parts from their service department.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:25 PM

I have a Tascam DR40x which is fine for putting down quick demos and ideas etc but the preamps are a bit noisy for 'release quality' stuff (although I have released some material recorded with it)...

I really like the ease of use and lack of fuss that using a field/handheld recorder gives me, and I'd love to record an album of instrumental music in different/unusual places (in the woods, in my campervan, in old buildings etc) so I'd really like to get hold of a recorder with built in mics that was seriously quiet (no background hiss) to use in these situations without external mics - any ideas?
Old 04-07-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
I have a Tascam DR40x which is fine for putting down quick demos and ideas etc but the preamps are a bit noisy for 'release quality' stuff (although I have released some material recorded with it)...

I really like the ease of use and lack of fuss that using a field/handheld recorder gives me, and I'd love to record an album of instrumental music in different/unusual places (in the woods, in my campervan, in old buildings etc) so I'd really like to get hold of a recorder with built in mics that was seriously quiet (no background hiss) to use in these situations without external mics - any ideas?
Built in mics can sound fine, but it's often difficult to get good placement options and still be able to operate your recorder controls.

If I were going to do a project like that I'd use external condenser mics or even a stereo condenser mic, a set of good headphones for monitoring, and a recorder like the Zoom R series. I've used my R24 to make field recordings with only battery power and they have turned out well. If you only need 2 track simultanious recording even the R8 will produce good recordings if you set your recorder for 24 bit recording.

If money is a concern I can highly recommend the AKG P-170 sdcs. These mics are reliable and sound really good considering their low cost.

The newer Zoom Livetrak L8 is reported to have much better preamps and is a good inexpensive option. The Livetrak L8 has a lot to offer as a field recorder.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Built in mics can sound fine, but it's often difficult to get good placement options and still be able to operate your recorder controls.

If I were going to do a project like that I'd use external condenser mics or even a stereo condenser mic, a set of good headphones for monitoring, and a recorder like the Zoom R series. I've used my R24 to make field recordings with only battery power and they have turned out well. If you only need 2 track simultanious recording even the R8 will produce good recordings if you set your recorder for 24 bit recording.

If money is a concern I can highly recommend the AKG P-170 sdcs. These mics are reliable and sound really good considering their low cost.

The newer Zoom Livetrak L8 is reported to have much better preamps and is a good inexpensive option. The Livetrak L8 has a lot to offer as a field recorder.
Well I already have some decent mics for recording but the appeal of something like this would be the 'hit record and play' aspect of using a field recorder - it wouldn't be an album where the audio quality of the guitar was paramount, more something like an ambient album with guitar...
Old 04-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Zoom H2n. Simple, reasonably priced, tons of possibilities (with surprisingly good mid-side and 4channel options) and no one will steal something that looks like an electric razor.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Zoom H2n. Simple, reasonably priced, tons of possibilities (with surprisingly good mid-side and 4channel options) and no one will steal something that looks like an electric razor.
Love the electric razor reference. I've thought they looked liked that myself and wondered if anyone else thought the same thing. Now I know!

Zoom seems to be progressing from bad design to hideous as they release new models.

Anyone doubting this simply needs to look at the new Zoom H8.

What were they thinking?
Old 04-08-2021, 05:27 AM

It was precisely the looks that stopped me from buying the h8 lol..
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I have the ZOOM H2 and H4n pro.

I love both. H2 for simplicity, H4n pro for combo jacks (exerfect for making acoutic guitar IRs).
I didn't hate the H2n but it seemed just a bit too noisy- maybe it was the application I was using it for. I've always liked the sound of the H4 on YouTube videos- even the old one. Not sure if the same mics and mic pres are used or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
My only field recorder is a Tascam DR-40. I like it for its versatility.
Such as using either internal or external mics. I'm not saying its be all end all.
But, I do have other Tascam/Teac products, so it was a maker that I was comfortable with. Also, living close to their western head quarters, I"ve been able to get parts from their service department.
It's on my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post

The H4n PRO gets great reviews and not just from guitar junkies. There are some good reviews on YouTube demonstrating both video and audio references of the noise floor in comparison to it's predecessors. It's pretty quiet for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Never thought of it like that but you are right. I liked it pretty well too- certainly better than using a phone, but it had too many features I didn't use and I felt like it could be cheaper if simplified.

Quote:
Love the electric razor reference. I've thought they looked liked that myself and wondered if anyone else thought the same thing. Now I know!

Zoom seems to be progressing from bad design to hideous as they release new models.

Anyone doubting this simply needs to look at the new Zoom H8.

What were they thinking?
Just add some legs to it for real creep factor. I find black jumping spiders that are super quick and look almost just like that. LOL!
Old 04-08-2021, 09:21 AM

I'm kinda lusting over a Sony PCM-D100 at the moment...

No XLR inputs but, apparently, the built-in mics and preamps are really good and also very quiet - I love the idea of having a high quality recording setup that doesn't involve setting up cables and mic stands, just putting the recorder in a space and playing...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification