The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Default great deal on Neumann TLM 49 @MF

The TLM 49 at $699 is a ridiculously good price. Not sure I need it. Not sure I want it. But I can't pass it up at that price.

I expected this to be an April Fool's thing when I saw it posted by someone on FB but it's not. Mine is ordered.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...OKvRN14vPcHGYI
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 04-06-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I went back and ordered a second because I figure if I'm going to use this mic, it's most likely going to be as an instrument mic and for that I'd like to have a pair. And if I end up not liking them, I can always sell them and not lose a dime. The price is already back up to $1650 so that sale only lasted a short time.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I should be ordering one too at that price...But I won't cause I have my monies going out to a new compressor, another mic pre, and a Soyuz fet 17 microphone.
Holy Cow Batman! HOW can this be?...it has a $1699 MAP price? for $699
Crazy good deal.
Hmmm....Dealers don't get that mic that low....I would assume the max they get is 40% off.
So something is strange here...
But happy for you!
FANTASTIC DEAL!
Old 04-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I should be ordering one too at that price...But I won't cause I have my monies going out to a new compressor, another mic pre, and a Soyuz fet 17 microphone.
Crazy good deal.
Hmmm....Dealers don't get that mic that low....I would assume the max they get is 40% off.
But happy for you!
FANTASTIC DEAL!
I have no idea how they could offer it that low. I hope it wasn't one of those errors that they'll refuse to honor later. The sale was over really quickly so that's a possibility.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

A possibility is that they had a couple in stock for a couple of years...
and these are too high end for their store...Maybe they are no longer a Neumann dealer?
They wanted to move them out...rather than have them sit in the store for and gather no monies.
What ever the reason..you aced this one...SUPER DEAL! Kudos to you for moving on it.
This is one of those rare occasions...when it LOOKS to GOOD to be true? BUT IT really WAS the real deal!
Old 04-01-2021, 06:05 PM

I'll be most curious to see if they honer that deal. Sounds like a mistake on their part, which they have been known to back out of upon realizing in the past. Please do let us know if they actually ship them to you.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:31 PM

After getting two dead tube amps in a row from them I gave up on having high expectations from MF.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'll be most curious to see if they honer that deal. Sounds like a mistake on their part, which they have been known to back out of upon realizing in the past.
You just had to jinx me, huh?
At least now I'll have someone to blame if things go pear-shaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
After getting two dead tube amps in a row from them I gave up on having high expectations from MF.
They'll be new with a warranty so I'll be okay with sending them off for repair.

Quote:
This is one of those rare occasions...when it LOOKS to GOOD to be true? BUT IT really WAS the real deal!
So long as jklotz didn't jinx me.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2021, 08:58 PM

Was this during the Stupid Deal of the Hour? I still have that page open and it doesn't show a Neumann microphone. (Frankly, the offerings were more junky than usual.)

I would have jumped on that if I had seen it.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-01-2021, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Was this during the Stupid Deal of the Hour? I still have that page open and it doesn't show a Neumann microphone. (Frankly, the offerings were more junky than usual.)

I would have jumped on that if I had seen it.
Not so far as I know. I can tell from the time stamps on my communications with them that the sale was only up for about an hour, so maybe it was a SDotH but they decided to not offer it after the one hour window closed. Being able to buy those at 42% of the regular retail cost is pretty stupid though. The cheapest used TLM 49 on Reverb right now is $1240. With the tax, these came in $500 under that.

They were also offering 48 months 0% financing. So the pair are only going to cost me $30 a month. I find it hard to believe MF can make money off that deal. Maybe Knives&Guitars is onto the right answer and MF had a shelf full that they couldn't move.

YouTube
Old 04-02-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Crazy good deal.
But happy for you!
FANTASTIC DEAL!
I really hope MF honors the deal and Jim gets his mic's I would love read a review of his impression

I would tend to agree it is an unusually large discount. Although there are dealers and then there are dealers.
The shear buying power of the combined Guitar Center /Musicians Friend conglomerate likely means Sennheiser is selling to them Neumann product a slimmer margin that most dealers . But as noted if the deal is legit and not a mistake, it could well represent a clearing out of a specific number of on hand inventory . Perhaps even with some additional discount or credit concession by Sennheiser .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

jklotz jinxed me.

Just got a call from MF saying the price was a error and they won't be able to honor it. I felt bad for the woman on the other end of the call because she sounded beat down as if angry customers have been yelling at her all morning. MF said they're going to give everyone who ordered a $50 credit for their trouble. Since I had two orders in, I asked if I'd get a $100 credit. She wasn't sure but said she's advocate for me. I didn't yell at her so maybe she will. I need a case for the Epiphone Riviera I just bought so the credit can go towards that.

A little bummed about the mics but there's nothing I can do about it so I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I'm up for my 2nd Pfizer shot at noon so my looming freedom more than balances out the disappointment.

YouTube
Old 04-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
jklotz jinxed me.

Just got a call from MF saying the price was a error and they won't be able to honor it. I felt bad for the woman on the other end of the call because she sounded beat down as if angry customers have been yelling at her all morning. MF said they're going to give everyone who ordered a $50 credit for their trouble. Since I had two orders in, I asked if I'd get a $100 credit. She wasn't sure but said she's advocate for me. I didn't yell at her so maybe she will. I need a case for the Epiphone Riviera I just bought so the credit can go towards that.

A little bummed about the mics but there's nothing I can do about it so I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I'm up for my 2nd Pfizer shot at noon so my looming freedom more than balances out the disappointment.
Sorry to hear it I was hoping you would get them

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
jklotz jinxed me.

Hey man, I didn't jinx you. I just told you how this has gone down in the past. I was hoping they'd have shipped the mics to you. And if they did, I'd have been happy for you and maybe even a little jealous I didn't get in on it.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

So, so sorry it did not work out Jim1960.
Bummer!
On the other hand...you still should be commended for jumping on it when others( me )did not.
I have heard a few tests done with that mic...and it is very good.
I am one of those people that need some time to react.
So while it did not turn out....at least you were smart enough to act on it, in case it was the real deal.
And at least there will be a little gain $50 to $100 dollars) for your efforts. Not bad for a 30 second punching of the buttons.
Of course...maybe there is a a $1000 wear on your persona for not getting the deal promised.
Sometimes...you just got to laugh. It is the only thing you can do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD