The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Guest 1928

gitnoob, it's asking me to login to access the files.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM

If I had a better measuring device, I'd do some dorking around and report back. The only variables are which string it mount it to and how much I tighten it. I'm not hoping for volume, just a little more bottom. I keep everyone awake as it is...

Thank you all for your input !!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
gitnoob, it's asking me to login to access the files.
Sorry about that. Let me try that again.

With JLD:
https://www.box.com/s/aiqzwckp2bsnjbmmf4ce

Without JLD:
https://www.box.com/s/vr5bg0k4yn7cbvhjxo8y

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouginKy View Post
If I had a better measuring device, I'd do some dorking around and report back. The only variables are which string it mount it to and how much I tighten it. I'm not hoping for volume, just a little more bottom. I keep everyone awake as it is...

Thank you all for your input !!
I've updated the links to the sound if you want to compare.

As I said, the sound change appears to be due to the mass of the device. You should be able to get the same results by changing your bridge mass using heavy brass bridge pins, and they'd be a lot easier to install.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I've updated the links to the sound if you want to compare.

As I said, the sound change appears to be due to the mass of the device. You should be able to get the same results by changing your bridge mass using heavy brass bridge pins, and they'd be a lot easier to install.
I think you're seriously missing the main point as to why bridge doctors are fitted.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
I think you're seriously missing the main point as to why bridge doctors are fitted.
They are apparently marketed as miracle devices that:
  • Fix warped tops!
  • Makes your guitar louder!
  • Makes your guitar richer!

I got one to see if it would fixed a "warped top" (i.e., bridge rotation).

It made my guitar quieter and less rich, but since it was an awesome 0-16NY, it still sounded pretty good. I took it out last night, and I'm not putting it back in.

The effects of the added mass were the most obvious changes it induced, but there may be others that are harder to measure.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
They are apparently marketed as miracle devices that:
  • Fix warped tops!
  • Makes your guitar louder!
  • Makes your guitar richer!

I got one to see if it would fixed a "warped top" (i.e., bridge rotation).

It made my guitar quieter and less rich, but since it was an awesome 0-16NY, it still sounded pretty good. I took it out last night, and I'm not putting it back in.

The effects of the added mass were the most obvious changes it induced, but there may be others that are harder to measure.
Well I can only think that it was fitted incorrectly then. You only have to look at the number of responses from people who have noticed significant improvements tone/sound wise.

The added mass is one thing, but relieving the top of all that tautness and stress is another. The latter overcomes the former in droves; bass and volume are improved no end. I've proved it whenever I've fitted them; clear improvements. If that wasn't the case, I'd be saying how bad they were. I've no sponsorship, it matters not me other than the fact that the JLD BD does what it says on the tin. It works. I've used them, and I'll continue to do so. A great device.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
The added mass is one thing, but relieving the top of all that tautness and stress is another. The latter overcomes the former in droves; bass and volume are improved no end.
Do you have A/B recordings? I guess I'm skeptical for a couple reasons: 1) because I tried one and measured the differences in both tap tone and plucked notes, and 2) because it doesn't make much sense in terms of physics.

There are guitars made with less torque on the bridge. Guitars with tail pieces, for example. Most people prefer the acoustic tone that comes with more torque on the top, not less.

The increased bridge mass can give you a perceived improvement depending on the guitar. For example, if you listen to my 0-16NY, it sounds more "jangly" to me without the JLD. Adding mass can reduce that "jangle."

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Whenever I've participated in a thread about JLD bridge systems, when I've written that I didn't care for the tonal results there have always been JLD bridge system enthusiasts who've written that the device MUST have been installed improperly.

No, I've heard them in a number of guitars other than that one of mine, some of which were handed to me by the enthusiastic owners of those guitars who felt that the JLD was a wonderful thing that had dramatically improved the sound of their instruments. On several occasions I've played the guitars both before and after the JLD was installed, and every time I really, truly felt it detracted from the tone of the instrument.

It has its advantages, generally in terms of boosting the guitar's projection. But to my ears the JLD is a tone killer: every time I've encountered one it seems to have robbed the sweetness from the guitar's sound.

The JLD is an acquired taste, and it's a taste I don't care to acquire.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
IMO this device is a poor solution to problems that often don't exist, so I guess my advice would be no.
This. Breedlove's use of this as standard on certain models allows them to deeply profile their bracing, which removes probably as much mass as the BD itself. The benefits of this configuration plays out in that the BD touches only 2 points inside the guitar. The body of the device is fixed in the bridge plate area and does not have a large footprint. Through it and extending to the tail block (paralleling the soundboard) is the tensioning wood dowel. It places pressure on the tail block which, in turn, places equal and opposite pressure on the main body of the BD in a forward and upward direction. This keeps the soundboard stable, preventing it from caving in towards the sound hole (bellying). That was the job of the soundboard braces which are contiguous (bonded) with the soundboard. Removing the mass from the braces frees up additional movement (freedom to vibrate) of the soundboard. That's the intent of the incorporation of the BD. How much it actually does enhance tone is the continuing point of discussion.

I put one in a 12 string and though it did restore the soundboard to its original factory condition, because of the manner it is retained to the guitar I lost much of the tone from the sympathetic courses. The original factory saddle break angle for those courses was removed leaving them basically flat. Not good. I think its use should be a temporary one as a tool to restore the shape of the soundboard while braces are removed and replaced with new, stiffer material and/or configuration. Then it should be removed.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Guest 1928

gitnoob, thanks for the sound clips. That's exactly what I expected to hear, which matches what I've heard on guitars that had them removed. (I don't personally know any repairmen that would actually put one in.) They do affect the structure and change the tone, but they always move the tone in a direction opposite to what I consider desirable.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Do you have A/B recordings? I guess I'm skeptical for a couple reasons: 1) because I tried one and measured the differences in both tap tone and plucked notes, and 2) because it doesn't make much sense in terms of physics.

There are guitars made with less torque on the bridge. Guitars with tail pieces, for example. Most people prefer the acoustic tone that comes with more torque on the top, not less.

The increased bridge mass can give you a perceived improvement depending on the guitar. For example, if you listen to my 0-16NY, it sounds more "jangly" to me without the JLD. Adding mass can reduce that "jangle."
No I don't have recordings. I don't need them. I'm happy - from my own standpoint - with my own ears and my own neural network. The AGF is a bit of fun for me, not my reason for living; I don't feel the need to justify my views to others in the form of recordings.

Never mind the increased bridge mass, the main thing here is the reduction of tension in the top in the area below the bridge. It is 'everything' in this instance. If you don't like the performance of a guitar with a JLD BD, then really, don't use them. We're all different.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion