The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-20-2021, 12:47 AM

Default Fernando Sor, Opus 60 No’6

Hi all

I am working through some of the key pieces in Sor’s Opus 60 for a thread in another forum.

A great learning experience and some really beautiful music, that is a joy to learn and always offers up some valuable lessons too.

Recorded this one outside on the Zoom on a lovely Spring day here in the UK.

It’s a single take so a few errors I’m afraid.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Guest 928

Delightful! The piece is somewhat tricky and subtle and I appreciate the play. thank you.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:08 AM

Very nice, well done.

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 04-20-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Delightful! The piece is somewhat tricky and subtle and I appreciate the play. thank you.

Thanks Evan.

These Etudes, even in Op 60 and lower down the number scale can be as tricky as you want them to be if you are committed to getting the right sound.

Lots of moving parts and as deep as they are long!

Old 04-20-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doons View Post
Very nice, well done.

Thanks Doons.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM

Sounds pleasant.

At this point in your progression, I'd suggest working on right hand (plucking) fingering. Classical guitarists, traditionally, train to play "rapid" successive notes on the same string with alternating fingers. Doing so increases speed and fluidity once skill is obtained at doing so.

The camera angle shows you often plucking multiple notes in "rapid" succession that are the on the same string plucked with the same plucking finger. This can be heard particularly at the end of the "A" section of the piece (e.g. at 00:11).
Old 04-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done and played Peter, and I always love your settings. Adds a lot of ambiance to the piece.
If I may make one small suggestion as you go forward is to try alternating right hand fingers whenever possible when fingering passages, more so than repeating them. I think you’ll find that it adds more fluidity in the execution, and also helps with timing (imo).
But, whatever's comfortable for you. Just a suggestion!
Keep up the excellent work.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-20-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Sounds pleasant.

At this point in your progression, I'd suggest working on right hand (plucking) fingering. Classical guitarists, traditionally, train to play "rapid" successive notes on the same string with alternating fingers. Doing so increases speed and fluidity once skill is obtained at doing so.

The camera angle shows you often plucking multiple notes in "rapid" succession that are the on the same string plucked with the same plucking finger. This can be heard particularly at the end of the "A" section of the piece (e.g. at 00:11).
Guilty as charged...

I am working hard to remove the finger issue from my playing, and it is improving - but it is a long learned habit from my steel string days.

Thanks for listening.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Nicely done and played Peter, and I always love your settings. Adds a lot of ambiance to the piece.
If I may make one small suggestion as you go forward is to try alternating right hand fingers whenever possible when fingering passages, more so than repeating them. I think you’ll find that it adds more fluidity in the execution, and also helps with timing (imo).
But, whatever's comfortable for you. Just a suggestion!
Keep up the excellent work.
Hi Andre

Thank you for listening.

My right hand is not doing what I want it to do - when I play slowly I can manage alternating but as I speed up I falter as I am doubtless much quicker with one finger right now.

I will get there :-)

Old 04-20-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
... it is a long learned habit from my steel string days.
Yup, one of the differences between "typical" finger picking and classical technique.

While not necessarily a lot of fun to play, one of the typical methods of working on that is to play scales. There are a variety of scales and fingerings that can be played.

One of the better-known of them is Segovia's Diatonic Major and Minor Scales. The instructions that accompany them have you play each scale using various combinations of right hand plucking: they can be played all rest stroke and all free stroke. Each scale is played with the following alternating plucking patterns:

I m
m I
I a
a I
m a
a m

The a and m combinations are generally the most difficult.

Playing scales helps with speed, fluidity, evenness and tone production. For many players - and teachers - it is an important part of learning basic technique. If you decide to work on them, it might be the best $11 you've ever spent on developing your playing abilities. If you decide you want to work on them, I'll be happy to offer some pointers on how to work through them.

https://www.amazon.com/Diatonic-Majo...8942082&sr=8-1
Old 04-20-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Yup, one of the differences between "typical" finger picking and classical technique.

While not necessarily a lot of fun to play, one of the typical methods of working on that is to play scales. There are a variety of scales and fingerings that can be played.

One of the better-known of them is Segovia's Diatonic Major and Minor Scales. The instructions that accompany them have you play each scale using various combinations of right hand plucking: they can be played all rest stroke and all free stroke. Each scale is played with the following alternating plucking patterns:

I m
m I
I a
a I
m a
a m

The a and m combinations are generally the most difficult.

Playing scales helps with speed, fluidity, evenness and tone production. For many players - and teachers - it is an important part of learning basic technique. If you decide to work on them, it might be the best $11 you've ever spent on developing your playing abilities. If you decide you want to work on them, I'll be happy to offer some pointers on how to work through them.

https://www.amazon.com/Diatonic-Majo...8942082&sr=8-1

Thanks Charles, that’s a great idea - I don’t sight read but have just found a book with notation and tab and it’s coming tomorrow.

Any pointers gratefully received :-)

Old 04-20-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I don’t sight read...
If your interest in classical music continues, you'll find that it is well worth your while to learn. So much of the repertoire is in standard music notation. It isn't that difficult to learn to read music.

Quote:
Any pointers gratefully received :-)
Rather than clutter this discussion, I started a new, separate discussion on playing Segovia's scales.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical