The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Mooer Radar and other lesser known IR loaders

In another thread on this forum Shufflebeat wrote:
… if you're ever considering using IRs on guitar the EQ section of the Mooer Radar pedal is surprisingly good, infinitely flexible, programmable and quiet. - and a free IR loader into the bargain.

Shufflebeat, if you have other insights, positive or negative, about the Radar please post. Also, a recording would be great.

Does anyone else have experience with the Mooer Radar or other lesser-known IR loaders with acoustic guitar? If so, please jump into the discussion.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:36 PM

I have used

The AMT Pangeae & the axoloti DIY board (20ms IRs).

In both case Parametric EQ or graphic EQ and HPF was a must have. Then I did not have the Match process... Now with my latest process to make IRs, it would not be less important.

Note that you can find second hand NUX NSS-5 for little money and get (46ms IR).

Anyway a 20ms IR well made will greatly improve a piezo pickup. Longer IRs only gives you better resolution in the low end. The most important part of the job is done even with a pedal such as the Mooer Radar. Just be sure to have an active pickup because the input impedance is low.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-21-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I have used

The AMT Pangeae & the axoloti DIY board (20ms IRs).

In both case Parametric EQ or graphic EQ and HPF was a must have. Then I did not have the Match process... Now with my latest process to make IRs, it would not be less important.

Note that you can find second hand NUX NSS-5 for little money and get (46ms IR).

Anyway a 20ms IR well made will greatly improve a piezo pickup. Longer IRs only gives you better resolution in the low end. The most important part of the job is done even with a pedal such as the Mooer Radar. Just be sure to have an active pickup because the input impedance is low.
Thank you, Cuki. My signal path would be either Baggs Anthem or J. May UltraTonic > Red Eye pre effects loop out > Mooer Radar. Do you think those would work OK?

I use your IR software "light" 1.0. Is that the latest?
Old 01-21-2021, 01:53 PM

The download link point to the GitHub site where the latest is.

I think it would work.

Why the radar? Because of budget?

Here is a link with all the IR pedals I know

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique10
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The download link point to the GitHub site where the latest is.

I think it would work.

Why the radar? Because of budget?

Here is a link with all the IR pedals I know

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique10
Someone mentioned the Radar having both graphic and parametric eq capabilities. That seems like a great feature to me especially at the price.

Of course, budget is always a consideration. That said, I don't mind saving toward a VoicePrint or ToneDexter. I simply want to spend my money as wisely as I can. What's you opinion, cost vs performance/features?
Old 01-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
That said, I don't mind saving toward a VoicePrint or ToneDexter. I simply want to spend my money as wisely as I can. What's you opinion, cost vs performance/features?
If money was not a problem I'd buy a Tonedexter. When I started making IRs, Tonedexter v1 was nowhere to reach the French market and was planned to cost nearly 1000€... That's why I made my own thing.

But I would have save time and money buying a Tondexter honestly.

The Baggs VoicePrint DI can be appealing for the EQ power/Phone control... but honestly I'd bought the JBL eon one compact for EQ power and I barely use it. I tend to tweak my tone with the EAE stompmix rather than with the JBL... go figure...

I'd say at some point too much tweaking possibilities become destructive for the music itself.

Simplicity let's you focus more on what is important: the performance & the music.

The concept of Tonedexter is simple.
1) Tweak the mic position to get the core tone you want.
2) Adjust blend and basic EQ

If for some reason, it does not work LIVE, it might be more because of a misunderstanding of your tone-realworld gear relationship... Think of loudness, room resonance, amplification (PA/speaker). Once you figure out what you need (probably a clean solid but natural string tone), you go back to square one.

3) Tweak the mic position to get the core tone you need. (With less wood resonance & rumble that was pleasing at home)
4) Adjust blend and basic EQ at the gig

My 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 01-21-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
In another thread on this forum Shufflebeat wrote:
… if you're ever considering using IRs on guitar the EQ section of the Mooer Radar pedal is surprisingly good, infinitely flexible, programmable and quiet. - and a free IR loader into the bargain.

Shufflebeat, if you have other insights, positive or negative, about the Radar please post. Also, a recording would be great.

Does anyone else have experience with the Mooer Radar or other lesser-known IR loaders with acoustic guitar? If so, please jump into the discussion.
I'm a keen TD user and concur with everything Cuki says, however I also (will) use the Radar from time to time, sometimes when I'm using the TD for my own instruments I'll use the Rdr for colleagues on fiddle, banjo,mandolin. etc. It will take some time to set up but once that's done I'll load the preset from my PC on the day of the gig and dial them in as previously saved.

Any IR loader is only as good as the IR but here are a couple I've made with the help of Cuki and JonFields using my Crafter dread (Fishman Matrix Infinity UST) and an Audix f9 mic. One is a 100% IR mix,the other is 50/50 as the Rdr has no mix facility.

They are stereo files with (hopefully) raw pickup on the left and IR on the right, no EQ, limit, power amp emulation (works great on some IRs) or anything else.

Unzip, load into a DAW and play with EQ to see what's possible. For me I would be taming the low mids with EQ and adding some bite at the top end. Otherwise just listen on headphones and compare one ear with the other.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13uJ...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-21-2021, 07:42 PM

When time allows I'll do some further tweaking with the processing previously described and post back.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:56 PM

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WGi...ew?usp=sharing

Processing
- power amp emulation (el34, not much)
- IR (50/50 as previous)
- EQ (hi-pass @80Hz, notch @194Hz, slight boost at 300Hz & 8kHz)

Dry PU to left
Radar to right
Same performance.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM

Default Sonicake Sonic IR doesn't work....

Just to say that the Sonicake Sonic IR pedal didn't work for me. Using IR's made from Cuki's algorithm I loaded them into the Sonic IR pedal and it does nothing to change the sound. The IR patch and a bypass patch sound exactly the same - unprocessed!

Spent about 3 hours trying different IR's (mono, 24bit, 16bit, 2048, 1024 etc, etc.) and NOTHING works. You can load IR's but they do nothing to the sound. You can play and change though 3 or 4 different IR's that you've loaded in and the sound doesn't change - it's just your normal piezzo sound!

I bought the pedal new for £29.99 GBP on Ebay and am returning it. I think I'll give the Nux Mini Studio a try.

I'm a Tonedexter user, but looking for a mini pedal for a simple set up too....
Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Just to say that the Sonicake Sonic IR pedal didn't work for me. Using IR's made from Cuki's algorithm I loaded them into the Sonic IR pedal and it does nothing to change the sound. The IR patch and a bypass patch sound exactly the same - unprocessed!

Spent about 3 hours trying different IR's (mono, 24bit, 16bit, 2048, 1024 etc, etc.) and NOTHING works. You can load IR's but they do nothing to the sound. You can play and change though 3 or 4 different IR's that you've loaded in and the sound doesn't change - it's just your normal piezzo sound!

I bought the pedal new for £29.99 GBP on Ebay and am returning it. I think I'll give the Nux Mini Studio a try.

I'm a Tonedexter user, but looking for a mini pedal for a simple set up too....
The so I cake has a huge latency. Even if it had worked you would have been disappointed.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification