The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-17-2021, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Backing track\play along resources

I am not sure if that what they are called or not. But what I am looking for are basically chord progression actually played (not notation) that I can noodle/improvise on top of. I began doing this 40 years ago with my saxes and clarinet to develop my ear. But at the time, I would put in records with strong foundations, like Bill Evans, Brubeck, and so forth. Then I moved to recordings with some of the jazz greats, and still do that. And now it is time to try that on guitar.

I have tried playing along with recordings off the bluegrass channel on satellite tv, but they typically leave me in the dust. Certainly, actual songs that I can keep up with and reproduce melodies would be cool. But also just standard chord progressions in different keys would be good as well. Like the Jamie Aebersold publications, for those of you familiar with them.
Much obliged.
David
Old 04-17-2021, 09:39 PM

I've not used the most recent versions, but that sort of things really sounds like something that Band In A Box software might do for you. I'll apologize for my being out of date on it, but back around turn of the century I used it along with a bunch of "jazz fake book" song files for it to develop my lead playing chops.

Advantages, tempo and keys would be changeable, and you can mute parts. I think there are others here who've used it, and probably more recent versions too. Perhaps they'll chime in.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 04-18-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2021, 10:05 PM

I use YouTube or Spotify and search for backing tracks, plenty of them around. If they're short or I need to change the bpm, I just download them as mp3s and loop them in a DAW. But a lot of them are long enough to practice over. If you don't have a DAW, you can slow the song down through YouTube. It's the quickest and easiest way to get backing tracks for solos.

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFGspShgEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFD9jOPMXg

I'm not familiar with Jamie Aebersold, but a search on YouTube for that name and "play-along" keyword led me to this playlist of over 200 backing tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NPFyIh8mfAvPCF
Old 04-18-2021, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Frank, thanks for the reminder about the Band In A Box product. I remember that from my big band director, back in the day.
Rina1504, thanks for your efforts and links which I will surely check out.
David
Old 04-18-2021, 11:47 AM

If you are looking for Old Time and bluegrass tunes, you might check out GrassTrax.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi David,

As Frank mentioned, I also use Band in a Box. The new version has what they call "real tracks" and these real tracks are an improvement in sound.

Band in a Box is very good for jazz, and it's getting a little better for making pop or rock music tracks, as well.

There are a lot of very good tutorials on how to use the latest version of BIAB on YouTube. Some people are intimidated by the computer work needed to use BIAB, but I have found that with a few hours of effort a person can get up to speed on how to use this software pretty quickly.

I bought the latest version of BIAB just a few months ago from Sweetwater.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write