The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Guest 429

Post deleted

Last edited by Guest 429; 09-05-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 PM

I love to have this discussion with peeps that think like I do and have been (and gone through this in one form of guitar or another).

The baby Taylor was always the guitar I'd leave on the couch or brought to an office (I work both home and office, depending). I always wanted a Taylor. I love and am in awe of my 314ce.

No, it hasn't opened up yet, but I know I have something to look forward to. I changed the Elixers to what they ship them with now (as of '14) and it feels I've taken two back. I'm not worried about that - it fits like a glove. But even upon purchasing 314... I panicked and thought... why didn't I get the 5 or 8 series. You can drive yourself nuts. Before my twins I could throw money at any guitar, but not now. (shut up and play is a good way to put it back then, I spent more time learning about vintage Martins and Gibsons I should have been playing what I was fortunate enough to have back then).

Through the years I loved my friends' Taylors. Great brand. Consistent out of the box and just thoughtfully built and sound fantastic (I don't see a big market on the vintage ones, or rather, early Taylors, but that's another thread) I'm happy with my 314ce, but spent more than I was going to (again kids). I'm not sorry.

My 99 baby is in sad shape, the bridge glue has melted, the bridge shifted, I finally changed its strings... and the bridge cracked. Oddly enough the baby sounds the same as the day I bought it new(which kind of tells you a lot.) So I was reading all about the GSmini, I thought the best of both worlds, a little player to replace the baby, that sounds bigger (oh boy does it), and looking ahead I knew my next guitar would be a parlor sized or 00 size hog (I've heard great things about some Alvarez's out there for example, or Guild etc etc - really hard to find 'em to try). Not wanting to spend a lot of $$ this time around I brought home Mr. Mini. I think I'm not adjusting to the small spacing although my Yairi has the same nut size so I'm used to it. I played some finger style blues numbers on the mini last night, couldn't bend a string without hitting another... I will give it a couple of weeks and maybe it'll give in. ;-)

There should be an acronym on here for the 30 day return policy countdowns ("Wait, I should have gone for the new 800s, no wait, I have one more day to get the 514... Now only 6 hours, oh noooo....) syndrome.

T

KLEPPER Guitars - Custom build
12-fret, 15" "SSD". 24.9"scale

Guild 1964 M20
Eastman e20 00
Baby Taylor (99)
Alvarez Yairi DY60 - 1995
Ibanez SR600 Walnut electric bass & amp.
Ultrasonic AG-15 acoustic amp
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Ah yes, a competition! A guitar competition no less! The GS Mini vs a Yamaha dread! Who will win this death match??? Which guitar is BETTER than the other? Which will walk away as the clear winner? Which will be called the BEST GUITAR IN THE UNIVERSE???

Seriously people? Buy the guitar that fits your needs. There are sooo many to choose from! If the mini isn't it, go find what is IT and be happy.

"Don't worry, be happy!"

Todd
Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 PM

I love my Mini M. That being said, if it doesn't suit you get something else. It isn't going to change it's shape and size and the sound won't change that much over time.

It's not for everyone.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltiki View Post
My 99 baby is in sad shape, the bridge glue has melted, the bridge shifted, I finally changed its strings... and the bridge cracked. Oddly enough the baby sounds the same as the day I bought it new(which kind of tells you a lot.)
You know, what I'd do is take back the GSMini and fix the bridge on your Baby. It doesn't cost *that* much to get a new bridge and glue it on – and it will certainly be less than the Mini cost.

Life's too short to own guitars that we don't enjoy!

Good luck -

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM

From their taping, the Yamaha sounds tinny and boxy. The GS mini sounds much better' and wins. I've never played (new) Yamaha so I have no dog in this race.

Alvarez, I think, is one of the most underrated guitars out there. One guitar shop I went into, the first time I tried the minis, the guy there wouldn't shut up about this Alvarez hog that beat every solid hog they have had in the store. Opps, he sold it, oops, he forgot the model number. I walked out willing to go with the GSmini, couldn't find many Alvarez's to play as described. I didn't end up purchasing it there, he sort of talked up a guitar he didn't have.

I don't take it personally that Taylor's advertising is geared toward the hipster millennials, every brand out there wants that consumer.

I have now noticed this GSmini guitar brings out a lot of passionate discourse on this site.

Don't forget, I slipped the GSmin into the baby Taylor's stand in the living room, so far no one noticed (I'm the only one who plays). I have a lot a 'splainin' to do once I come clean. I couldn't have slipped a 522 in the BT's place and pulled it off. Just like I read a lot on this forum that 'the wife' said ok on another guitar, I have 'the spouse' who I knew better even ask after getting the 314ce.

Right now I am going to lock myself in my music room and give Mr. Mini another shot. Fingers crossed. Or not.

KLEPPER Guitars - Custom build
12-fret, 15" "SSD". 24.9"scale

Guild 1964 M20
Eastman e20 00
Baby Taylor (99)
Alvarez Yairi DY60 - 1995
Ibanez SR600 Walnut electric bass & amp.
Ultrasonic AG-15 acoustic amp
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheof View Post
I just Googled the GSmini. Taylor's website shows it being held/played by a skateboarder. That clearly communicates to me the purpose and value of it.
It seems more than a little odd to judge a guitar by it's advertising.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOR View Post
It seems more than a little odd to judge a guitar by it's advertising.
That had to be a joke, right?
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasperT View Post
That had to be a joke, right?
I think not.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
Surprised really by folks who don't like parlors in the GS Mini price range. Alvarez has got some really good ones...for even less money.
True. I picked up an Alvarez AP66SB in preference over the GS Mini, at about $140.00 less money, and couldn't be happier. And note in my signature that I have a 314ce, so I'm also a Taylor fan. But I love my Alvarez, and don't regret the choice I made.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

If its the Hog sound your looking for, go for the Martin 00 or 000 15. GS mini is a great guitar, i love it, but it does not compare to my Taylor 410 nor my 00 15. The Mini is a great guitar to have in your tool box, it has its use and i know some people that use it as their main guitar. Like i said if you are looking for that Hog sound. The Martin 00 or 000 is a great guitar for the price.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM

I tried, I mean really tried to have an affair with the mini hog. It just wasn't for me. Mostly the width. Had it come in a 1 3/4, I very well may have it instead of the Ibanez AC240 I decided on (this for a "travel, knock-around guitar).

It was by far the right choice for me not only in terms of width but tonally and in terms of volume as well. The Ibanez is a better sounding guitar all around in my opinion but it is a tad larger and that's the cost. I don't fly much so it works for me.

Also, you'll notice in my sig that my hog quest (which started with interest in the mini) ended-up in OOO-15 land. You really should play one of those 15 series variants. I bet you'll end up saying "mini what?"
Old 07-30-2014, 06:00 AM

I'm not a guy that owns a lot of guitars at one time.
My best guitar is a relatively new, all solid wood Alvarez dread.
It almost plays itself.

However, I spend way more time playing the mini.
It sounds good enough.
It's easy to pack around.
Yes the scale is shorter, but I don't really notice.

A GS mini is a guitar that will either be loved, or hated.
There are very few people on middle ground.
If it isn't for you...it isn't for you.

I knew from the first time I played one that I'd find a way to own one.
And I was prepared to hate the thing.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 AM

I've learned that I am not a fan of mahogany guitars including mahogany tops. I really like the sound of the GS Mini with the Sitka top Rosewood B&S I didn't like the neck. If the option is available take it to a shop and A B with a non Mahogany mini. I ended up with a Seagull S6 Folk Cedar Top 1.8 nut 25" scale which felt great but in the end I decided that smaller body guitars weren't for me. Expensive little lessons but I did find that a full size S6 in a gig bag travels just as well in the car.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM

As others have already said, it all comes down to personal preference. Personally I absolutely love my Mini Mahogany. The tone, volume and playability all feel/sound excellent to me. But that's just me. Will the tone of yours get even better with playing? Probably. Will the neck get wider? Obviously not. So, if it's an issue with playability, you will never be happy. So maybe trade it in for something else now before you lose too much value? People are suggesting and comparing the Mini with much more expensive Martins and other Taylor guitars. I feel that's not a fair comparison. Compare the Mini with others of the same ilk and price, and it's the best. But if it's not for you, it's not for you. Cut your losses and buy something you're happy with
Good luck
Ian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gsmini, mahogany top