The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2021, 09:10 AM

I appreciate the idea to no install a pickup system

But,

I also appreciate it being preinstalled, cuz as crazy as this sounds, I do get a lot enjoyment out of plugging in to an acoustic amp and just noddle around with reverb and other time based effects.

On the other hand, I do gig occasionally so it's more practical for me to have something ready to go.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-17-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinguitar View Post
Other than gigging where extra loudness might be required, is there any need for electronics in medium to higher end acoustic guitars?
Some people enjoy playing through an amp at home, often with effects. That generally requires a pickup.

If you record demos and do not have the ability or equipment to mike your instrument, then a pickup is required there too.

Other than that, no. Even if you plan to 'someday' gig, or record, or explore amps, it is not worth it IMO to be concerned about electronics. Wait until you have the need.

In my experience, buying for potential needs almost always results in overbuying (I never end up needing something) or replacing (once my need becomes clearer I have to replace something with what I really need.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-17-2021, 03:23 PM

Yeah, my take is electronics are a tool, and only a tool, to suit a purpose. It's not like it's...well, not like it's a "thing" in itself to fret over and get lost on internet boards trying to resolve.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like you don't need to pay for a factory pickup system. Put your cash into a guitar. But I would encourage you to find an open mic. You might, after the first few apprehensive experiences, find that you like it, and it will give you a goal to work toward.

Even then, a decent open mic should have an extra mic ready to go. We run three at ours. Should you decide you like it, then buy a pickup like the K&K to put in your guitar, but keep in mind you need a pre amp too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-19-2021, 08:32 AM

Thanks to everyone for the very useful information.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Default A contrary opinion...

I do enjoy playing with amplification even when I'm practicing solo. Not all the time, but particularly when I'm finger-picking. Being somewhat keratin-challenged, I'm unable to grow and keep proper fingernails. Artificial nails have their own costs and problems, so I haven't gone that route. With the boost from my HFNs and a modest level of amplification, I can get back some of the missing treble and sparkle that my bare fingertips can't create. I can play more dynamically when even a slight touch can be heard. Also, I hear my mistakes more, which is apart of getting better.

Purism? I leave that to the purists.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-20-2021, 03:37 AM

Thank you to everybody for their information. I will have plenty of time to mull over the factors because there is just about no stock available here in the UK for me to try. Finding a store with two contenders to play is basically nil at the moment. Perhaps stock levels later in the year will improve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification