The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-06-2021, 07:07 AM

Default The Masters - 2021

As someone who loves The Masters and Augusta National I thought it would be good to start The Masters - 2021 thread.

For many years I routinely went to the Tuesday practice round. That day was better than the Wednesday practice round because the players left the course early on Wednesday for the par three tournament.

All the homes around and near the course would sell parking spots in their yard. We would arrive ~8:00 AM and start looking for someone's yard to park in for the day.

We would go by the practice range for a look, hang out around the putting green for a while, walk the entire course, hang out at a few spots, and always eat some of those "special" Masters pimento cheese sandwiches.

It was fun to see who would be playing practice rounds together. You would overhear someone say "Nicklaus and Watson are making the turn" and we would head for a front row standing spot at the 11th tee to get up close, and things such as that.

It would be a long day with a lot of walking those Augusta National hills. The two hours and fifteen minute ride home would usually be quiet. We would be tired and sun beaten.

Now, with the lottery in place to get practice round tickets things are different. I really miss those Tuesday practice round days and need to get back.

As the TV coverage says "The Masters, a tournament like no other."
Old 04-06-2021, 07:20 AM

Course looks firm and fast...maybe a little too fast for the ANWA tournament.

I'll be having homemade pimento-cheese sandwiches while watching the par-3 contest.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:38 AM
Musical minimalist

I miss as little of the TV and internet coverage as possible, although it falls in one of the first weeks we can get out and play here in MI. We have tee times M-F as weather allows.

As someone who absolutely detests being in large crowds, I'm doubtful I'll ever get to experience the course in person.

Maybe I can get a part time retirement gig on the maintenance staff so I can see it someday

Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM

Yes, can't wait for the tourney to begin! Hoping for a fantastic weekend. I tend to record sporting events nowadays to zip through all the ads, but the Masters has maintained so few commercials that it doesn't save much time recording it.

Would love to see Spieth in the hunt come Sunday!

scott
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 AM

I make sure to tell Mrs. Slot well in advance when all 4 majors are scheduled so she doesn’t book me for something couple-ish.

I had the good fortune to attend a Friday tournament several years ago. It was a magnificent day. As has been said many, many times you cannot appreciate the contours in fairways and greens until you see it in person. Absolutely insane.

My old guy pick is Phil, who can still knock it out there with the kids. But DJ and Jordan are my favs for Sunday.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Always an exciting time for me when the Masters rolls around! Getting to go to the Invitational in 1999 is still one of the highlights of of all the decades I've been in love with the game...

Having been an event "coordinator" for some decent sized functions (I think 1200 was the largest I was ever in charge of producing), I can say that the Masters is unequivocally THE best produced large scale event I've ever attended or been a part of...

And they are SO darned nice about everything - even the Pinkertons warning a patron to "not run, or we'll have to ask for your badge..." - which is the absolute WORST thing that can happen to someone attending! They charge nominal prices for food, drink and memorabilia (until you get to the high-buck stuff); I remember buying two coffee mugs with the Augusta scorecard on them, for less than $10 the pair...

Not enough can be said for the elevation changes on the course... the joke is that the only flat spot at Augusta National is in the clubhouse! I love the front 9, too; for years it was not shown on the TV coverage, much if at all... so when I finally got to see it, I was stunned!

I won't miss much, if any of the coverage... will be interesting to see how this year shapes up. A lot of players could win - if history has taught us anything, it's that EVERY contestant "could" win... I just hope it's a great competition, and that the winner has to step up to take the green jacket, that the field doesn't fold behind him to allow an "easy" win.

Oh boy, oh boy! It's Masters' week!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Oh boy, oh boy! It's Masters' week!!!
Yeah buddy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Augusta-National-13th-Hole.jpg (44.6 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by fitness1; 04-06-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM

This is my favorite sporting event. I look forward to hearing Jim Nantz say "Hello friends"! I think Jordan Spieth has that old fire back in him, and would love to see him win. I am going to predict Justin Thomas this year. It's great that it's back on in April. Enjoy, all!
Old 04-06-2021, 02:34 PM

I was there for Saturday and Sunday in 2017 when Sergio won. It was a terrific experience and there's not one suggestion I could come up with to make anything better. Just AWESOME!

For 2021 I'd look for DJ to repeat as winner EXCEPT... word has it his putting is in the tank. If that's correct, he has no chance.

I look for Justin Thomas to win this time although I'd like to see Rory complete the Grand Slam the most.

Brooks Koepka would be a favorite pic, but I don't see his knees holding up for 72 holes on that hilly course. Only Tiger Woods has proven he can win a Major playing with a broken leg.

Let the game begin!!!!

Last edited by 6L6; 04-07-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Musical minimalist

I guess one "sleeper" I'd like to see pull it off is Tony Finau. Seems like a great guy and he's "overdue" - might as well make it a major (THE major, that is!)

Old 04-06-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I guess one "sleeper" I'd like to see pull it off is Tony Finau. Seems like a great guy and he's "overdue" - might as well make it a major (THE major, that is!)
Can't argue with that! I'm a big fan of his. Seems like a great guy. I hope he can keep his ankle in place on the Par 3 contest!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
As someone who absolutely detests being in large crowds, I'm doubtful I'll ever get to experience the course in person.
You should go there with someone who's been there a few times. Despite the marked increase in the number of attendees, it's still fairly easy to stay well away from crowds and get a good look at the shots and players. Some locations are very popular, but most of the course has little areas where nobody goes unless they've already been a few times, gotten tired of the scrum, and found the quiet spots.

I like Jordan Spieth for his textbook swing and Phil for his persistence. I'm counting on Phil to prove a senior can still win a major
Old 04-06-2021, 10:18 PM

As much as I love Spiethy, his swing is anything but textbook with that flying chicken wing of his!

Justin Thomas is a solid pick, and I’d also love to see Rory in the mix!

Scott
Old 04-07-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

My dark horse "old guy" this week is Lee Westwood. He's been playing well of late. It's a tough ask for a 47 year old who's never won a major, but I'm not counting him out.
Another foreigner to watch imo is Louis Oosthuizen. Always plays well at Augusta.
Would also like to see Rory finish off the career GS. Nice guy who deserves it. The last few years though I've sensed some "Normanish" lack of confidence at Augusta creep in on him. The 10th hole is definitely still in his head a little too much. He wants it bad, and he knows it. Phil should be a good inspiration for him in this regard. He overcame the Augusta bugaboos to win it. 3 times!
On our side of the pond, I agree Justin Thomas is a real favorite. So is Spieth.
Who knows what DJ will do. I don't think he knows himself all that often, but he sure can dominate.
Collin Morikawa might surprise. He's a stud, a major winner, and is a good closer. I too like Tony Finau. He would be a popular winner I bet. Great talent, and super nice guy. He plays well there too.
I think Brooks Koepka, if he were 100%, would be my betting pick. Not my favorite though. He just seems so cocky and condescending out there, a little too entitled. I find it hard to root for him. His recent knee issues may be hard for him to overcome but, beware of the hurt golfer.
So love The Masters. It's the best.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Having NASCAR Daytona in February and then "The Masters" in April is like MLB opening with "The World Series."

I like the way those "old men" running the Masters, do things the way they want and are not to be messed with----just an excellent event that I will watch! We'll see how those 300+ yard drivers do down there.

Fog

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-18-2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic