The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I used my macbook and hx edit(free download) Hx edit allows
you to adjust parameters on your laptop and
instantly save these changes on the stomp or any helix device.
heres a utube link thingy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HcoWgTCmQQI
Thank you, I'll try this after the weekend.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-15-2021, 10:43 AM

Default I have the same setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I use a Helix for my 'one solution for all' gig scenarios. It covers all my acoustics, my dual-source acoustic AND electric.
Hi there,
I just had a K&K Pure mini with the mic and just recently added a LYRIC.
I was wondering where the placement of your LYRIC microphone is. (I put mine just behind the pegs on the bridge.)
and how you are coming out of the guitar. For now I have two separate 1/4 out's. but I plan on soldering the LYRIC and Pure mini into 1 stereo endpin jack.

I was also wondering if you you wouldn't mind sharing 1 or 2 basic presets just so I can see if I am utilizing my set up to it's full potential. I am compiling a setlist for an acoustic gig with presets for each tune on my HX STOMP so I would be happy to share them with you as well.
Cheers
Gerry C
Old 06-15-2021, 12:03 PM

One stereo output jack. Active Rare Earth magnetic on the Tip, passive K&K on the Ring. This is pretty typical to have the active source on the top because it’s switched, and the passive source on the ring because it’s not switched.

I’ll get back to you on the preset.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-15-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Lyric Mic

OK , I see you have the Magnetic, I thought you were using the LYRIC and Pure Min. I saw a video on that setup as well. Very Nice blend. I think it's better for strumming which I lean towards live.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:42 PM

Check out this thread of mine, a lot of info on the Lyric + K&K stuff. After many years of this, I moved onto a mag instead of the Lyric… felt it was too similar to the K&K and they didn’t necessarily complement each other so we’ll. But they worked just fine. YMMV.
'21 Gretsch 5622

Last edited by rschultz; 06-15-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
I was also wondering if you you wouldn't mind sharing 1 or 2 basic presets just so I can see if I am utilizing my set up to it's full potential. I am compiling a setlist for an acoustic gig with presets for each tune on my HX STOMP so I would be happy to share them with you as well.
Gerry C
Dual Source with Comp
Dual Source with Modulation

I developed these on helix, had to tweak them a bit to get them under the 8 block limit. They use the returns as inputs, but could easily be changed to use the main inputs. One disadvantage of using the returns is that the tuner doesn’t work… helix had this option that Stomp doesn’t.

The strength of k&k is the midrange; the highs are weak and the low end is boomy. So having a mag to cover those weaknesses works well. So the EQ on the k&k has a HPF at 250 Hz, and a large mid cut to clean up the mid range mud. The combination of the two is great.

The mag covers the low end, it’s very feedback resistant, and adds high end clarity

There are snapshots for just the k&k that lowered that HPF to make it full range; similar preset for mag only.

The IRs sound awesome, and if there was no other reason to own a Stomp than to use IR, it would be enough.
'21 Gretsch 5622

Last edited by rschultz; 06-15-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:43 AM

Default This is Great!

Rschulz,

Thanks soo much. This is very good to learn new ways. I learned something new right out of the gate. I never thought of using the preamp on each path to cut my highs and lows first and then to level my sources. Soo much better to care of the K&K Boom before it even gets to the EQ. Very Good idea. And have been leveling my sources in the mixer before going back out to my board. But it makes so much more sense this way. I prefer this way. And then I can just use the mixer for panning. This is great.

So just to make sure I have it all good on my end.

Path A is your "Mag" which I assume is the BAGGS Lyric (or is that your Magnetic Pickup?) and Path B is the K&K.

I see you have your IR's Maxed out at 100%. At least that's how they're coming up in my HX edit. I have bought just about every IR you can imagine which two do you prefer for the K&K?

I will copy in the settings I have for the LYRIC mic to Path A and see what it all sounds like. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Means a lot.

Cheers
G

Last edited by gerryc123; 06-16-2021 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Check out this thread of mine, a lot of info on the Lyric + K&K stuff. After many years of this, I moved onto a mag instead of the Lyric… felt it was too similar to the K&K and they didn’t necessarily complement each other so we’ll. But they worked just fine. YMMV.
Yes, I agree. After a week working with both, they tend to be somewhat similar and unfortunately, in the wrong places. Where the PURE MINI needs help, the LYRIC is needs help as well, and they both share the same strengths.
But I do like what I am getting so far.
I just need to prospect a little more. Blending an IR on the pure mini makes big difference.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:23 AM

No, path A is a Fishman Rare Earth magnetic soundhole humbucker.

The IRs I use are a Mart45 from 3sigma. I think 3C on the kk, and 1A on the mag.

I just sold my helix, and I think I still had a Lyric+kk preset on there. I’ve got a backup, just not sure I can extract the preset from the backup. I’ll check when I get home in a few days.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 AM

Here’s a repost that you might find interesting:

Quote:
After using this K&K + Lyric combination system for a while now, I have a few thoughts. The Lyric is a great pickup by itself, very natural and very dynamic. There are only 2 things I don't like about it:
  • The bass is thin
  • It picks up a lot of string squeaks and body noise.

Previously I said:

I'm reversing directions on this. The Lyric is so great, why don't I use it more and the K&K less? The finger squeaks bug me... but I'm learning to control that with left hand technique. When I turn the K&K off the Lyric bass is noticeably thin, but the Lyric sounds great other than that. The bass is there and even well balanced... but just not very full and round. So as I turn the K&K up, the bass fills out real nice. I'm to the point now where that's all I need the K&K for, to round out the bass. I don't find it's not necessary to cut the highs of the K&K, and probably not necessary to cut the lows of the Lyric... but I often do just because that is the range where feedback happens on a mic.

Both pickups are great in their own way, and they both have strengths and weaknesses... and luckily they compliment each other. There is so much flexibility with this combination since each one really can sound great on their own. The only downside I see with the combination is that it requires mixing them externally... not as convenient as the Anthem for example.

Honestly, for many situations, the Lyric by itself would be great... possibly better than the Anthem. Of course, I tried that and found I couldn't live with the Lyric alone, then I started this thread!
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-16-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:

No, path A is a Fishman Rare Earth magnetic sound hole humbucker.
Ahh, sorry I meant left and right, I have the HX STOMP so I have to have an L and R, not paths. Basically whatever side the preamp volume is on for "K&K only" is for the K&K and vice versa. That's how I was interpreting it. So I copied and pasted that side of the chain. This is also why I like the idea of leveling either source at the Preamp and not in the mixer. I always used my mixer for leveling either the K&K or LYRIC but then I always had to remember to copy and paste the mixer settings when copying presets, which was a hassle.

As for your observation on the LYRIC "The bass is thin. It picks up a lot of string squeaks and body noise."

Yes the bass is thin and I was surprised at the amount of body noise. The TRINITY mic with the K&K system had too much feedback, low rumbles. The LYRIC is better in that regard. Especially for a live band situation.

I still have the TRINITY mic installed and ready to go. In my version of the system, the mic is not soldered to the endpin jack, instead it connects to the jack with an male to female RCA connector which is very convenient. I imagine I could make the lyric work this way eventually and swap out either the TRINITY mic or LYRIC by just plugging them in. I want to use the TRINITY mic for studio recording. I believe in that regard, it is better than the LYRIC, just not for live performance.

Hope fully the lyric will work off the power in the TRINITY PREAMP although I am looking for another another dual source preamp that can do what the TRINITY preamp could do, but something better. The eq's and gain levels being inside made it very difficult if not impossible to really make it all work. I need something I can access quickly. I was looking at The K&K QUANTUM but the reviews were very mixed. If you can think of anything please let me know.

I will try out the IR's you suggested tonight. Thank you for your help.

G
Thanks again.

Last edited by gerryc123; 06-16-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:54 AM

Hey GerryC

I was able to extract a preset from an old Helix back up that has the Lyric + K&K. I don't have the helix anymore and my Stomp is at a friends house, so I can't check it. But load it in and see what it says.

Lyric + K&K Preset

There's a good chance it has more than 8 blocks, hopefully you can delete some of them and just look at the EQ to see how I had it EQ'd.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-19-2021, 11:46 AM

Ahh great. Perfect timing. I recorded both my mics, my K&K Silver Bullet and my Lyric yesterday, same performance, input 5 and 6. Gonna decide which one I am gonna go with live. Your preset came up perfectly so I that will be a big help Thank you so much for helping out.
Cheers
Old 06-22-2021, 11:04 PM

Default 'Line 6 HX for acoustic' question

Would a fishman rare earth blend’s stereo outputs (internal mic and magnetic) go in say, a Helix LT’s inputs and work properly, if I wanted to eq each channel separately? And still have a stereo output ?Curious

Last edited by lppier; 06-23-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:22 AM

Yes. As long as you can split the signal into 2 cables, any helix has stereo inputs and you can process each separately.
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification