The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 PM

Default ToneDexter training: capo, picks, etc?

I'm getting ready to do some training with the ToneDexter again. Along with mic choice and mic placement, do things like whether you play with a pick (and what kind) or fingers, or being capo'd or not matter?

I typically play without a pick. In the shape of G (G, C, D, Em for the most part). Either finger-picked, or strumming using my thumb (no nail) and side/back of the index finger (so it includes some nail).

I am also almost always capo'd at either 3 or 5 (so playing in Bb or C).

Should I train the ToneDexter with the capo at say 4 and just play like I normally do? Or should I take the capo off and play normally, or use a pick?

Enquiring minds . . .
Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
…I typically play without a pick. In the shape of G (G, C, D, Em for the most part). Either finger-picked, or strumming using my thumb (no nail) and side/back of the index finger (so it includes some nail).

I am also almost always capo'd at either 3 or 5 (so playing in Bb or C).

Should I train the ToneDexter with the capo at say 4 and just play like I normally do? Or should I take the capo off and play normally, or use a pick?

Enquiring minds . . .
Hi SwF

I play without picks and pull my WaveMaps without them.

I did have my gigging partner pull one on my main guitar with a flat pick to see if it makes a difference…we didn't keep that sample.

I play for the ToneDexter like I do the room, including pulling WaveMaps in Dropped D (since I play in Dropped D more than 50% of the time).

Perhaps James May can lend advice on capo or no for sampling. I'd just try both since you have 22 slots to experiment with.

My advice, take good notes. I keep notes on my numbered voicings in my phone.

Have fun!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-19-2021, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

We've never found that fingers vs pick matters much in training. It doesn't need to match the way you play.

What's important is to stimulate the instrument as fully as possible in the allotted time. Due to all the overtones, this could be as simple as strumming an open E chord the whole time. I usually strum bar chords up and down the neck, with a pick (even on nylon string guitars) and have never found a method that works any better.

Capo vs no capo: We recommend no capo only because you want those lower frequencies (the notes below the capo) to be represented.

If you're playing a violin family instrument, then use a bow. Even upright bass is more fully stimulated with a bow, even if you only ever play pizzicato and even if you make ugly noises with the bow.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification