The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Default so, now i'm looking hard at the RS Parlor nylon

looking at all options, the video I've watched and research points me toward the Parlor, and maybe more to the nylon version.

I want an adjustable TR, so that's also key with the RS, and I like the basic traditional look.

For those with the nylon version, does it carry a nice brisk tone? some nylon instruments can have that dead thunky sound-I prefer a responsive instrument where you don't have to pull the tone out of-seems like the RS nylon delivers that in the video I've watched. Looking for a good true classical tone if possible.

No place remotely available for a trial.

Not ruling out the steel string version either-drawn to the nylon, but the steel string is definitely in the run also.

Thoughts on all this???

thank you
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 05-05-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

D;

I think I have tried every CF nylon string acoustic guitar (with the exception of a Brunner), and they are all good. Deciding which one is the best for you comes to personal preferences. For example, the Blackbird Super OMN, which came out in an edition of 5, is a marvelous instrument in both looks and sound; but it is a bit big for my taste. The Rider nylon string comes the closest to sounding like a traditional classical guitar; but it was just not comfortable for me. The Emerald X20-OSN is yet another incredible guitar; but a bit too large for my taste.

To cut to the chase, I've ended up hanging on to two CF nylon strung guitars, one being the instrument you have in your sights. The Rainsong Parlor was brought to my attention by Mr. Rogers of this forum and made available to me by Michael of MacNichol guitars. I owe them both as the RS is a remarkable instrument--the sound is warm and lush without a loss of clarity. Even though the RS is a 12 fret, it allows fairly high reach. I have a K&K in mine and it is electrifying. I don't think you can go wrong with the Rainsong.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
D;

I think I have tried every CF nylon string acoustic guitar (with the exception of a Brunner), and they are all good. Deciding which one is the best for you comes to personal preferences. For example, the Blackbird Super OMN, which came out in an edition of 5, is a marvelous instrument in both looks and sound; but it is a bit big for my taste. The Rider nylon string comes the closest to sounding like a traditional classical guitar; but it was just not comfortable for me. The Emerald X20-OSN is yet another incredible guitar; but a bit too large for my taste.

To cut to the chase, I've ended up hanging on to two CF nylon strung guitars, one being the instrument you have in your sights. The Rainsong Parlor was brought to my attention by Mr. Rogers of this forum and made available to me by Michael of MacNichol guitars. I owe them both as the RS is a remarkable instrument--the sound is warm and lush without a loss of clarity. Even though the RS is a 12 fret, it allows fairly high reach. I have a K&K in mine and it is electrifying. I don't think you can go wrong with the Rainsong.
thanks Evan
I've been researching/digesting your posts/threads.
d
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Hi Daryl,
I own a Rainsong Nylon Parlor and a Steel Parlor as well as the Blackbird Nylon Rider. I love the Rainsong Nylon Parlor. It takes no effort to play and sounds good and even better amplified. The string spacing on the nylon as opposed to the steel Parlor feels tighter. I have to work to keep my fingers from touching adjacent strings. The Blackbird Rider has a clearer tone and it's string spacing is much nicer for a nylon as it is farther apart.

I hope you get to try both the Rainsong Nylon Parlor and the Blackbird Nylon Rider. You will enjoy them. Where are you located? Maybe one of us who has these guitars is near you.
Barb
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi Daryl,
I own a Rainsong Nylon Parlor and a Steel Parlor as well as the Blackbird Nylon Rider. I love the Rainsong Nylon Parlor. It takes no effort to play and sounds good and even better amplified. The string spacing on the nylon as opposed to the steel Parlor feels tighter. I have to work to keep my fingers from touching adjacent strings. The Blackbird Rider has a clearer tone and it's string spacing is much nicer for a nylon as it is farther apart.

I hope you get to try both the Rainsong Nylon Parlor and the Blackbird Nylon Rider. You will enjoy them. Where are you located? Maybe one of us who has these guitars is near you.
Barb
thanks Barb
these are details/thoughts I need to hear and consider.
Live in Norton, Va (the edge of nowhere..........lol)

d
Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

The RS nylon-string Parlor is an extremely fun little guitar with great action and effortless playability. I'm really glad that Rainsong is offering this guitar and I think it's a unique option for both classical and steel string players. The guitar is tiny, easy on the fingers, and sounds good... Plus all the benefits of carbon fiber.

Here's me jamming on the RS Nylon-string parlor and covering a tune written by one of our forum members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k28CQhozwxY
Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 PM

Excellent !
Old 05-06-2016, 03:06 AM

Great job, J.R.!

I have been a steel string player most of my life, but for the last several years I have been waiting for the opportunity to pick up a nylon string CF guitar--waiting for manufacturing to catch up with what I wanted.

I remember reading about a RS nylon string that was very limited in production. It came out years ago (WS9000?)? However, I read the feedback on the guitar at the time and it was not flattering.

Then, a few years ago MacNichol started experimenting with converting a Shorty to nylon... still not rave reviews.

Ah! But then, Ted and J.R. and Ashvin (I think... don't crush me if I am off on this... I once forgot how to play a B7 chord) began a dialogue about a RS nylon guitar based on the RS Parlor. I was immediately fascinated... beyond what was good for my bank account. I eventually succumbed about a year ago and bought a RS Custom nylon Parlor 12-fret... all CF--top, back and sides--in clear black with shark inlays and custom rosette. Man... what a great instrument (Ted and Helene were fantastic and it was neither my first or last purchase from them). I play it often... maybe not quite as much as my RS Shorty, but close. Love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber