The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
... i know it's a pain and it might mean losing some international sales but scammers know they can use paypals rules to their advantage and frequently do!!
I think that is what happened to me and more than a 100 other buyers last year on eBay who bought an electric guitar. I never got mine ... it turned out to be a postcard or a small package sent to somebody in a different state about 500 miles away. I did get my refund from PayPal but I had to wait because that seller used the ruse of posting a tracking number so PP had to wait a long time to make certain I wasn't getting the item.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

No, he is from Ireland, but if the guitar shipped from france or germany there would be no tax to Ireland as its within the eu. I usually ship from Germany, but covid doesnt allow 4his at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouks View Post
From France, he should have made the trip to get the guitar. No shipping, no fee, no tax, no worries about shipping damage and probably not much more than 200 bucks in gas and road toll.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I’ve stopped accepting Paypal on my website now that they no longer return fees on refunds - found that out the hard (expensive) way. I hope many others do the same -
Old 01-15-2021, 11:14 AM

I've been really fortunate - the last four guitars I've sold were able to be done locally through Craigslist or Facebook marketplace so I didn't have to deal with any of the nonsense of shipping, Paypal, etc.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
No, he is from Ireland, but if the guitar shipped from france or germany there would be no tax to Ireland as its within the eu. I usually ship from Germany, but covid doesnt allow 4his at the moment.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I hope you have better luck with the next buyer.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

This just sounds like a ****ty situation all around caused mostly by PayPal not refunding fees. I don’t think the guy was a scammer, he was just trying to avoid VAT. Still - he realized if after he sent the money so he should be the one to bear the risk.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion