The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman vs Anthem vs Trance vs Cole Clark

I had an excellent livestream with Maury Rutch today, thanks to everyone that tuned in and a big shout out to our very own Cuki and Sprucetop who helped and supported the episode. There is a lot of information on the Trance in this episode as well as a reveal of a new multi-source version that is being released in 2021.

If you go to 1:22:22 you can hear the comparison clips, I hope to do more of these type of videos in the future. It’s really interesting to compare pickups and gear in a live video and get peoples opinions in the live chat!

Old 01-12-2021, 06:16 AM

What a great comparison, Aaron!

Thank you for that! Couldn't be online at the time of the livestream, but I'm really glad with the content!

The Anthem you've used was the SL or the full version? I think that the full version can be let with the blend 100% mic, and in that configuration, you might like it better. I will got my LX1 today with the full Anthem installed, and I'll let you know if I can get rid of that lil' quack (sorry guy from Fishman that don't like that term). Anyway... since I already don't have the Cole Clark here, and I already have my mini guitar for live purposes, I might go with the Anthem, and later Dazzo.

But, boy, how great that Cole Clark system sounds...

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, direct into the interface and computer recording software, the Cole Clark 3-way system sounded the best with the Trance next.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
IMHO, direct into the interface and computer recording software, the Cole Clark 3-way system sounded the best with the Trance next.
I agree. My next test is to try all of the IR pedals with the Trance to see which one would sound the best for direct recording/live-streaming.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM

That was a great show! Informative and entertaining.

My ranking in THIS comparison:
1. Cole Clark
2. Anthem
3. Trance

But they are all fantastic and while the sound is quite different, the difference in usability might be negligible.

I also imagine, what Maury and other said, that in a loud life situation the Trance could be best, is true.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-14-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I also imagine, what Maury and other said, that in a loud life situation the Trance could be best, is true.
I have the Trance Amulet M in one of my guitars and the Full Anthem system in another, I prefer the Trance way more then the Anthem when at stage volumes. At low volumes I like the Anthem, but still not as much as the Trance.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have the Trance Amulet M in one of my guitars and the Full Anthem system in another, I prefer the Trance way more then the Anthem when at stage volumes. At low volumes I like the Anthem, but still not as much as the Trance.

I’m in the same situation and feel the exact same way.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM

I still prefer the Anthem SL in my guitars due to the ease of installation and the simple controls. The Trance product would need to be installed by someone and it's tough to find someone who knows how to install them. I wouldn't say they sound "better" than the Anthem...just "different. The Anthem has a "dry, airy, organic" sound, which I like and it sounds waaaay better than any piezo or magnetic pickup. Plus for just $175 I can get one locally and install it myself in less than 30 mins.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 AM

I am wondering if any of you played with the trim control when you installed the Trance? Despite the fact that I moved on from the Trance, I am consdering installing it again. I feel like I should have played with the trim control more. At the time, it sounded like it just increased the bass notes but it sounds like it could potentially balance the high end I was getting.

For me, the Trance had a piezo tone when strummed hard but with things like the Tonedexter and Voiceprint out, I feel as though a small blend of IR would fix this.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am wondering if any of you played with the trim control when you installed the Trance? Despite the fact that I moved on from the Trance, I am consdering installing it again. I feel like I should have played with the trim control more. At the time, it sounded like it just increased the bass notes but it sounds like it could potentially balance the high end I was getting.

For me, the Trance had a piezo tone when strummed hard but with things like the Tonedexter and Voiceprint out, I feel as though a small blend of IR would fix this.
Yes it still sounds like a pickup. At times it sounds quite mic like but when. played hard it is still a pickup. Having said that maybe this can be useful on stage and like you said a slight IR blend may fix it which is fine if you have an IR pedal on your board anyway.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:08 AM

If I was into direct recording, here is my order:

1) Anthem
2) Cole Clark - But I would have to buy a Cole Clark.
3) Trance
4) Matrix

On stage live:

1) Trance - But I would do a Dazzo because they are already in my guitars and it's the same concept.
2) Cole Clark - Still wouldn't buy one. But having a "stage guitar" has it's merits. Better if you could put it into any guitar you wanted.
3) Anthem - I had my anthems sounding pretty sweet, but had to dial out woofy/boxy tones.
4) Matrix

Maury's comments were right on. The Trance brings what you need to the table in terms of the guitar's character and artifacts. The sonic information we want to hear is all present in the sound. It just comes out sounding "flat" in the direct recordings. From there, it's easy to bring shape and contour to the sound (that's what our ear wants to hear) without large sweeping sound corrections and fixes. This idea is hard to discern from direct recordings.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-15-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
If I was into direct recording, here is my order:

1) Anthem
2) Cole Clark - But I would have to buy a Cole Clark.
3) Trance
4) Matrix

On stage live:

1) Trance - But I would do a Dazzo because they are already in my guitars and it's the same concept.
2) Cole Clark - Still wouldn't buy one. But having a "stage guitar" has it's merits. Better if you could put it into any guitar you wanted.
3) Anthem - I had my anthems sounding pretty sweet, but had to dial out woofy/boxy tones.
4) Matrix

Maury's comments were right on. The Trance brings what you need to the table in terms of the guitar's character and artifacts. The sonic information we want to hear is all present in the sound. It just comes out sounding "flat" in the direct recordings. From there, it's easy to bring shape and contour to the sound (that's what our ear wants to hear) without large sweeping sound corrections and fixes. This idea is hard to discern from direct recordings.
Hi Vancebo,

Why did you prefer Dazzo over Trance. To my ear both can sound great and balance or quacky depending on instruments and install (from the different demo I could hear)?

Is it just because it is passive?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

So the Fishman Goldplus comes last.

I would LOVE to redo those recordings with a free IR on the Fishman to see if you end up preferring it over the rest.

It would be REALLY interesting.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
What a great comparison, Aaron!

Thank you for that! Couldn't be online at the time of the livestream, but I'm really glad with the content!

The Anthem you've used was the SL or the full version? I think that the full version can be let with the blend 100% mic, and in that configuration, you might like it better. I will got my LX1 today with the full Anthem installed, and I'll let you know if I can get rid of that lil' quack (sorry guy from Fishman that don't like that term). Anyway... since I already don't have the Cole Clark here, and I already have my mini guitar for live purposes, I might go with the Anthem, and later Dazzo.

But, boy, how great that Cole Clark system sounds...
Sorry to bump old post, but did you end up liking the LX1 with the Anthem?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

The thing to remember with the Trance is no mic, so if you're live at volume you're not fighting feedback. Gigging with a duo system you'll really have to dial back the mic if you're playing with any volume.
Trance is not perfect, but as someone whose gigged with it for years playing outdoor gigs pushing volume over football field kind of venues, it's very reliable.
I've tried the anthem and gave up on it as I drove the sound guys nuts fighting feedback . Lovely system for a coffee shop but a challenge for louder needs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification