The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo Opinions

I have a few SCGC dreads but i've never played one of their slope shouldered models. Has anyone played the Vintage Jumbo or 12 fret RS? Are these more laid back guitars or more in your face with a bigger bass response? Is the Vintage Jumbo SCGC's take on the Gibson Advanced Jumbo?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I have a few SCGC dreads but i've never played one of their slope shouldered models. Has anyone played the Vintage Jumbo or 12 fret RS? Are these more laid back guitars or more in your face with a bigger bass response? Is the Vintage Jumbo SCGC's take on the Gibson Advanced Jumbo?
My experience is that the RS has more growl for sure -it's a 12 fret so.. I really like that guitar a lot. I prefer the VS to the VJ, but I like short scale guitars. Both are great. And yes very Gibson inspired for sure. Maybe think hi/fi Advanced Jumbo, with more sustain and complexity of overtones.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Eric. How does the tone differ from the VJ to the VS? Another question, how does the RS compare to the D12?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I'm jonesing for a SC guitar and I don't even need or want anything different from what I have. The SC guitars that I have owned were very pleasant personable guitars.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-15-2021, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

I owned a Vintage Jumbo about 20 years ago, right after they were introduced. They are very nice guitars, and as much as they look like one, they do not sound like a Gibson slope shoulder if that's the tone you're after. They are very warm and smooth, like a great D18. Of course they are very light weight and play like butter.

I haven't played an RS, but I want to. I have heard that they are very Gibsonesque in tone.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks Eric. How does the tone differ from the VJ to the VS? Another question, how does the RS compare to the D12?
One thing that's been noted regarding the RS is that it sounds better to the listener than the player. You should check with Silly/Andy about that. I highly recommend the D-12 if you can find one.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
How does the tone differ from the VJ to the VS? Another question, how does the RS compare to the D12?
Haven't played the VJ. The VS is my go-to, and I'd agree that it's more "laid back" than a Gibson. The short scale makes it a joy to fingerpick. The VS has a mellow, but strong bass thump, and the RS has even more of that.

If I get another guitar, the D12 would be at the top of the list. It's very responsive, and I found it to be perhaps more balanced than the RS.

I have a strong positive bias towards SCGC slope shoulder dreads. I haven't been as taken by their square shoulder cousins -- not sure way -- maybe they seem to have less personality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion