The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Overall the answer to these things is to not be afraid of it and muck about in it. If you're going to take it in to be looked at you might as well have a real problem rather than an old persons problem. It's the only way to learn these things.
Thanks, but I don't understand this sentence, "If you're going to take it in to be looked at you might as well have a real problem rather than an old persons problem."
So, a problem that an older person has is not real?
Ouch.

May you not grow old.

Last edited by Tico; 06-19-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 AM

I was very late to the cell phone game. Didn't want to be that easy to contact. Didn't feel "scared" gigging out of town in bad neighborhoods. Never follow trends (I've never had a Facebook account, think it's stupid).

However, when the smartphone came out, I saw people texting pictures and thought that could be very handy for business (read MONEY). And the video function intrigued me.

To be quite frank, I saw a technology that was going to leave me behind if I didn't jump in.

My first cellphone was an Apple 5C, the plastic one. Double tough, simple, works every time, never crashed. Figured it out in a few days, I've been using computers since the 70's, I just never had one in my pocket.

I think you have to decide if you want to keep up, or simply don't care. Keeping up is a bit time consuming and will cost you a few bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-20-2018, 04:58 AM

I've owned cell phones ever since they were first introduced, had to, needed them for work.
I am 68 and I can tell you for a fact that most smart phones will do wa-a-ay more than what most of us old-timers are aware of.
I am not going to reveal any of the many cool easy things they are capable of so as to appear intellectually superior to the rest of you.
My advice: Get to know your smart phone. It is your friend.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 AM

My parents go to the senior services near them to take ipad / cellphone classes. It's specifically geared towards senior citizens.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 AM

The 'Jitterbug' (By Greatcall), is an excellent, and low cost alternative to a smartphone. The layout of the phone is very logical, the buttons are big, and the menu options are fairly simple. They also have a 'simplified smartphone', but I have never seen or used one.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

It seems to be a "thing" for people to say they don't like cell phones, won't carry one, etc. Or, if they do it's a clamshell flip phone with no bells and whistles.

I love my smartphone, it is my personal assistant and I'm glad I have it. When I can't figure out something about how to use it or to solve a problem, I go to YouTube. There is always a video of someone who has encountered and solved my particular problem, and who tells me in great and specific detail how to deal with it.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

... but I'm sure it'll be a long ad for signing up for the apps and applications and services that appear to be free, but are actually how they make their money.

But it doesn't hurt to attend, ask a zillion questions to learn everything I can, but then not download, register, or sign up for ANYTHING.
If it's an iPhone, then the in-store tutorials are definitiely not directed at downloading, registering, or signing up for anything. I've attended several on many different products and have generally found them helpful.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:57 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post

I love my smartphone, it is my personal assistant and I'm glad I have it. When I can't figure out something about how to use it or to solve a problem, I go to YouTube. There is always a video of someone who has encountered and solved my particular problem, and who tells me in great and specific detail how to deal with it.
My two desktops and laptop do exactly the same thing. Don't need my phone to do it too.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
My two desktops and laptop do exactly the same thing. Don't need my phone to do it too.
Except that the desktop and laptop can't fit in your pocket. I might not always need my phone's functionality when I'm out of the house but I'm glad the option is there.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
When your cellphone stumps you what do you do?
Ask a kid in your family?
Take it to a store for your cellphone plan?
Use a high powered microscope to read the manual it came with?
Other?
I'm 68 so senior yes But I have been running a digital home recording studio since 2003.... so I have "some" practical working knowledge of problem solving , and terminology in the digital realm.

That said:
As someone else mentioned quite often if you do a google search and state the specific problem in the address bar (with the keywords that are relative) you can often get a quick answer maybe 60% to 85" of the time .

So I google first ,,,, and then if that doesn't work I ask my son in law 33 who is pretty tech savvy.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Dunno if this will work but just received this fro a frind on FB :

https://www.facebook.com/ACIDMATH.ME...3348460774554/
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Seems like you're expecting a LOT for free. Sounds like you're already getting help, I guess if you're paying for that help it's something to complain about...though I'm not sure what that will get you...

Quote:
The reason I put free in quotes is ... This "free" phone is constantly trying to get me to sign up for their services or for this or that or app.
I always refuse.
Also, I keep the location GPS thingie off.

Apps are how they get you and make money off you - by spying on your content and selling your personal information via apps.
This is all revealed in their terms and conditions - but nobody reads them.

Like the say, when something is free YOU are the product being sold.
Some people are entirely comfortable or even happy with the tradeoff. Tech savvy people understand how to control data access to a point where they're comfortable. Some even regard data selling as useful, as they are offered ads which are meaningful instead of irrelevant. I think it's generally wise to limit access to data, no argument with that view, but assuming ignorance on the part of others is generally not a great strategy when it comes to tech.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM

The best if you're close enough is joining the free classes at an Apple Store.

Among other relatives, friends and baby boomers who still have parents we've found a large screen iPhone to be the best.

When there's no Apple Store close by there is calling Apple and all the in phone and online content they have to help. My late octogenarian mother says in addition to the iPhone switch, she knows the Apple Care staff are particularly great with her generation.

My mother still does hospice care at her age and helps her contemporaries not doing as well. She's also found her switch to an iPhone gives here a great tool for those situations.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
My parents go to the senior services near them to take ipad / cellphone classes. It's specifically geared towards senior citizens.
Great idea!
I'll look for one.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
It seems to be a "thing" for people to say they don't like cell phones, won't carry one, etc. Or, if they do it's a clamshell flip phone with no bells and whistles.

You write, "It seems to be a "thing" for people to say they don't like cell phones, won't carry one, etc.".

Do you consider, "I love my smartphone, it is my personal assistant and I'm glad I have it." to also be "a thing"?

I think it's okay that people are different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic