The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Phil got frustrated and lost his cool, which is understandable and forgivable. I'd really like to see a pro throw a club on TV, now that would be fun!

I have more of a problem with the rationalizing he did afterwards. That is one big load of bull he is trying to peddle, in my opinion.

But I've never been a big fan of his. The gambling and insider trading stuff really doesn't square with the "aw shucks" public image he tries to portray. But my wife loves him, and he plays great golf swinging from the wrong side, so I'm probably just jealous. He sure seems like a nice enough guy on TV, though
Old 06-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Sorry, I’m not a fan of golf. I don’t see why he should be held to a higher standard if the true issue lies with the quality of the course that anybody can play on if they can afford it.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 AM

I thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

"Phillip, how dare you act like a person of the lower classes! It's a good thing my wife Muffy didn't see this odious display of street behavior.
It may have caused her to fall into a faint."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 06-21-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM

FINALLY... Phil read this thread and came to his senses after taking in all of the advice and condemnation!! The world is a better place and golfers everywhere can direct their attention back to what’s important, 19th hole discussions

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm a little late to this discussion, but find it interesting and wanted to chime in.

The U.S. Open, the only Major he has not won, has long revealed Phil's tendency toward bad judgement. It seemed pretty clear to me when I first saw the latest incident that he was acting out of frustration and only came up with the two stroke penalty after the fact to excuse his loss of self-control. .

I still wonder what would have happened had his illegal putt gone in, as it almost did.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM

I think the putt would have counted and he would have incurred a 2 stroke penalty for hitting a ball in motion.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I think the putt would have counted and he would have incurred a 2 stroke penalty for hitting a ball in motion.
In which case he would have been rewarded?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbock View Post
In which case he would have been rewarded?
Yes, but I'm guessing only temporarily.
Had it gone in, it would have been a lot more difficult, optics wise, for the USGA's Mike Davis to find the wiggle room in the rules to assess him only a 2 shot penalty.
More than likely, he would have been disqualified per another section in the rules. Which should have been the decision imo.
For what it's worth, he did issue an apology:
“I know this should’ve come sooner, but it’s taken me a few days to calm down. My anger and frustration got the best of me last weekend,”. I’m embarrassed and disappointed by my actions. It was clearly not my finest moment and I’m sorry.”
- Phil Mickelson.
I agree with you about Phil's woes at the US Open. The screw up at Winged Foot, when he was ahead 2 shots going into the last hole, will forever haunt him. Just like Greg Norman's meltdown at Augusta. He never was the same after that either.
Phil did win the Open though. As bad as the US open has traumatized him, that Open win I'm sure brings a smile right back to his face. That was a huge win for the guy, maybe just short of his first major at Augusta.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic