The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Default When recording acoustic guitars and vocals....

..... do you record the instrument and the vocals separately or do you record both at the same time?

I typically do the guitars first then do the vocals next but recently, I've been wanting to record a song as a whole. I suspect that it will sound more "together" if recorded as one piece vs different pieces put together.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on this before I purchase an additional pre-amp.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
AGF Bouncer

I like to seperate everything for quality reasons. But you can do both at the same time, you just have to compensate for bleed into the vocal mic and bleed into the guitar mic.

Takes a bit more doing.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Default a couple of exceptions...

Hi Sage97...
If the project is ''large'' and production is paramount, then we do a scratch track with the guitarist/singer doing the arrangement the way it will be recorded.

Then we go back and record the guitar track, and start adding other tracks...then we just dump the scratch track.

Notable exceptions...
I have a friend who can play his backgrounds, and then he cannot sing in tune without playing along with the track. So we have to record his vocal and guitar together.

I have another friend who cannot separate the track from the singing...he just cannot play and not hum or sing along which pollutes the guitar track...so we have to record his vocal and guitar together.

And on a personal level, when I play and sing simultaneously, I style the playing differently than when I play an accompaniment track and sing over it later. I play and sing in tune, but I change the accompaniment in little ways that cause it to not be ''me''.

I have always just tolerated this and recorded the production tracks differently than the scratch track, but for a personal CD project this year I'll record guitar and vocal simultaneously for the sake of capturing the more spontaneous and authentic renditions of my songs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but I think my question kind of speaks to what Sage97 was asking, I've noticed that with my recordings (which are all single guitar and vocals through a M-Box into Pro-Tools) I have to track the vocals seperately in order to sound decent, but I always feel like the two tracks just don't match up. It always sounds as though they were recorded in completely different spaces. Does anyone have some advice for this?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi Sage97...

And on a personal level, when I play and sing simultaneously, I style the playing differently than when I play an accompaniment track and sing over it later. I play and sing in tune, but I change the accompaniment in little ways that cause it to not be ''me''.
Similar observations here. My playing almost sounds very mechanical even if I sing the song in my head.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickw25
Not to hijack this thread, but I think my question kind of speaks to what Sage97 was asking, I've noticed that with my recordings (which are all single guitar and vocals through a M-Box into Pro-Tools) I have to track the vocals seperately in order to sound decent, but I always feel like the two tracks just don't match up. It always sounds as though they were recorded in completely different spaces. Does anyone have some advice for this?
I've experienced this as well. Most of my recordings are acoustic driven and vocals (occasional electric guitars are added later) so I don't mind dumping everything and starting over.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey
I like to seperate everything for quality reasons. But you can do both at the same time, you just have to compensate for bleed into the vocal mic and bleed into the guitar mic.

Takes a bit more doing.
Jeffrey,

Pardon the newb question but how do you compensate for the bleed? In the mix you mean?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:19 PM
AGF Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97
Jeffrey,

Pardon the newb question but how do you compensate for the bleed? In the mix you mean?
Exactly.

You'll just have to twiddle around with EQ'ing and levels of both microphones until the "bleed" mix sounds good.

You may have too much bass in one or too much treble in the other when played together, but played seperately it might sound fine.

I just takes some noodling around.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell