The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Well, I'm Goin' For It

After much trepidation and second-guessing, I've decided to perform at my school's coffee house poetry reading and then the school's variety show.

Most probably, I'll play a James Taylor tune.

It's interesting playing in front of my co- workers, most of whom have been supportive, and the students that I meet with. I feel compelled to "push" myself to do this, because I enjoy playing and I now look at my playing as "something that I do" and is a part of me.

So all of your thoughts would be appreciated as I get my nerve up and do it.

Regards to all;

Michael

Last edited by dobieboy; 04-14-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieboy
After much trepidation and second-guessing, I've decided to perform at my school's coffee house poetry reading and then the school's variety show.

Most probably, I'll play a James taylor tune.

It's interesting playing in front of my co- workers, most of whom have been supportive, and the students that I meet with. I feel compelled to "push" myself to do this, because I enjoy playing and I now look at my playing as "something that I do" and is a part of me.

So all of your thoughts would be appreciated as I get my nerve up and do it.

Regards to all;

Michael
There are only two things that you need to remember..1) HAVE FUN! 2) don't sweat the small stuff..chances are you're your own worst critic...ENJOY
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM

You will be great. I have never heard you play, but if you are even good enought to think about playing for an audience, then you will be impressive.

dthumb is absolutely right. You will be your own worst enemy.

Have fun. Break a leg.

1966 Gibson LG-1
2003 Martin OM-35

"Never give up. Never, ever give up."
Old 04-14-2005, 12:24 PM

The only thing I can suggest is that you keep in mind that no matter what happens, you're going to survive

Seriously, as long as you know the song, you should be fine. Once you get a taste of playing in front of an actual audience, there's really nothing that compares. It's a great feeling when someone comes up to you after you play and tells you how much they enjoyed it.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Jumpin off the high dive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieboy
...I feel compelled to "push" myself to do this, because I enjoy playing and I now look at my playing as "something that I do" and is a part of me.
Hi Michael...
I remember the first time I jumped off the ''high board'' at the local swimming pool. Scary, fun and I couldn't quit shaking while I was still dripping and climbing the ladder for a second jump...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Good for you, dobieboy... to borrow a phrase... 'just do it!' You might find that when all is said and done, it's MUCH harder to look at it from the before side of things than the after side. Lots of people also find that once you step over that line... you will love it, and there's no coming back.

Regardless of whatever you experience, kudos to you – and everyone who decides to lay it all out there! Good luck!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 04-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Good for you, Michael! Just remember, you're going out there to show them the beautiful song. Don't worry about the playing or making mistakes. If you forget the words or the chords, just hum as if it's what you meant to do all along. Think of yourself as the vehicle for the music. I found that's helped me a lot in the last few weeks.

Always keep in mind that the audience is rooting for you. They're on your side. Take your time, don't rush and remember to breathe. We're rooting for you too. You'll be great! Good luck!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:29 PM
In The Pocket

Have fun, let those in the crowd know that you are having fun... They will in turn have fun...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Hey man, break a leg! Hope all goes well. Looking forward to your follow up post to let us know how things went.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

What helps my nerves is knowing I'm as secure as I can be with the piece. To find out how prepared I really am, I sometimes play with a metronome - not to check tempo but because it makes me concentrate on two things at once - what I'm playing *and* following the metronome exactly. That always shows me the troublespots that I need to work over slowly till they're nailed down. When I can play with the metronome, under conditions of "controlled distraction", I feel better prepared for the live situation and less worried about getting thrown. Doesn't work for everybody but helps me "get up the nerve".

Hope it goes well! Sounds like you've got a great audience.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks to all who have replied thus far.

It's really an interesting process, what I do to myself (and what I suspect others do to themselves, too) getting caught up in self doubt over a situation that is ultimately pleasurable and enjoyable.

Even though I'm familiar with the song, Sweet Baby James, I feel an intense responsibility to "deliver " it well. As many of you have suggested, the technical performance of the music as well as the singing may be secondary in the eyes and ears of most audience members. My anxiety is based on my desire to convey my connection to the song and hope that others share in it.

I'll keep practicing.
Thanks for the opportunity to "vent"

Regards;

Michael
Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 PM

I think you will find that all of us who have performed publicly have , at one time or another, had the same fears and trepidations. The great thing about a forum like this is being able to share yours with those who have come before you . Now all you need is to go forth and play. If you, in your heart feel the time is right and the need , for you, is there to put it out there then you are ready and, believe me, you will be just fine. You will survive and you will want to do it again and again and again...
Peace!

Last edited by dthumb; 04-15-2005 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling...again!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:25 PM

HI Dobieboy
Let's show the world how great JD is by playing his songs, OK?
Go for it, don't you worry bout a thing
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM

congrats!

i was once in the same position before i played in front of an audience. the thought of it was kinda frightening, but i figured what the hell, i'm going to make myself go and do this.

and sure enough, i survived, and i even liked it!

you'll have a blast, and i'm sure you'll do great....let us know how it goes!
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell